Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Herb Box

Options
  • 09-08-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

I've bought a few herb plants and I would like to keep growing them.

Any advice on if I should take them out of there original box and putting them all in something like a flower box?

Also any suggestions on how often/what they should be fed?

Completely New at this!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if you upturn the pots and see if there are lots of roots then you will have to pot up the plants or they will get potbound and not do well. It sounds like a nice idea to put them all into a larger window box and have a tray underneath as when the tray is empty of water your plants need watering. Let the pots soack up water before potting up. A bit of chicken manure at the bottom of the pot will do them no end of good. As for feeding I use an organic liquid concentrate fertiliser mixed with a bit of liquid seaweed (vitimins for the plants). After about 5-6 weeks when they have settled in I would feed them sparingly after watering about once every two weeks. You will have to get to know your plants and meet their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Thanks for the advice!

I added chicken manure to the bottom and they've thrived. However my coriander has gone very pale. The mint and basil are doing great though.

Advertisement