Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Locking in AH

Options
  • 09-08-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

It's getting extremely annoying at this point. Mods are locking up threads now for no good reason or simply because they don't like a particular thread. It's getting out of hand.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Examples?

If you mean the recent Katie ones, there was already a giant thread for the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This going to be locked to :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

No - not the Katie ones although I do think that even one of those could have been kept or merge them - what's the harm?

Here's two examples - the Ole thread, which I thought was a legitimate thread (just as legitimate as the idiotic 'do you prefer rashers or sausages' thread or the just as idiotic 'rolls' thread.) There was also the potentially, very interesting thread on foreigners opinions on Ireland. No legitimate reason for shutting it down.

I have no problem with mods shutting down threads that are ridiculous like the 'Missus letting herself go' thread but it seems to me that it's become completely arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

In my honest opinion I think just one thread dedicated to Katie would be nice. She's made a fantastic achievement and is practically a national hero now. Just one thread wouldn't do any harm as any comments about her will be lost in the giant Olympic thread.
    And before anyone says "If you allow a thread for her, you'll have to allow one for every medal winner"
    no you won't. She's made history and has been a very important part of the 2012 Olympic games. Not to mention she has lifted the spirits of the entire nation who are in need of a bit of cheering up lately. I just think one thread would be nice, but hey, I'm not a mod so I don't make the rules. It just might be something to consider. :)

It would be nice. And you're right, this is an historic occasion - Katie Taylor didn't just have to fight inside the ring to get to the Olympics, she had to fight outside of it too, to have women's boxing recognized as an Olympic sport. She's been a huge advocate for the sport for years and is actually regarded, world-wide, as a kind of rock-star of women's boxing.

People should be allowed to congratulate her, in a dedicated thread in AH, should they wish. But no. Idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

People should be allowed to congratulate her, in a dedicated thread in AH, should they wish. But no. Idiotic.

So why not just congratulate her in the main sticky??
    Or in her own seperate thread in the Boxing forum like this one??
    Why does it need to be a seperate thread??
    Why does it have to be in AH??

As for the two examples above, just PM the mods who closed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

KeithM89 wrote: »

It doesn't exactly need to be in AH or have its own thread. But people are going mad celebrating one particular win and it would be a nice courtesy to let them talk about it in its own thread.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I was modding AH and Ireland were knocked out of the world cup qualifiers. All of us mods were all resistant to allowing a soccer thread in there and we caught a lot of flack for it, me in particular. In retrospect we shouldn't've been so strict regarding the no soccer rule in AH and the community suffered as a result. And people called me names.

This isn't exactly the same thing but I definitely think you should reconsider allowing a Katie Taylor specific thread in AH. It's a big night for the Irish, let them enjoy it. :)

It doesn't exactly need to be in AH or have its own thread. But people are going mad celebrating one particular win and it would be a nice courtesy to let them talk about it in its own thread.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I was modding AH and Ireland were knocked out of the world cup qualifiers. All of us mods were all resistant to allowing a soccer thread in there and we caught a lot of flack for it, me in particular. In retrospect we shouldn't've been so strict regarding the no soccer rule in AH and the community suffered as a result. And people called me names.

This isn't exactly the same thing but I definitely think you should reconsider allowing a Katie Taylor specific thread in AH. It's a big night for the Irish, let them enjoy it. :)

The only difference there really is that there already is an Olympics thread and i dont see why another one is needed. We didnt even have to let the main one run in the first place and couldve just locked/directed to Sports, so i guess a lesson was learned there from your incident.

But im not unreasonable, il see what the majority of the other mods say and go with that.

KeithM89 wrote: »

As for the two examples above, just PM the mods who closed it.

To answer your questions Keith.

1: Anybody can do that - and I would encourage them to do so should they feel the need.
    2: A lot of people in AH, like myself, don't really frequent the boxing forum so probably wouldn't feel too eager to post there. There are some sporting forums on boards that are particularly unwelcoming towards newbies.
    3: I don't think it needs it but that in-itself is not a legitimate reason for not having one. I believe that given the circumstances, and the blindingly obvious desire from AH users to talk about it (four threads locked about Katie) it should be allowed.
    4: See answer three.

I'll also take your suggestion on board regarding PMing mods.

Thanks.

1: Anybody can do that - and I would encourage them to do so should they feel the need.

Exactly, so why the separate thread??
    2: A lot of people in AH, like myself, don't really frequent the boxing forum so probably wouldn't feel too eager to post there. There are some sporting forums on boards that are particularly unwelcoming towards newbies.

I dont know about that, the boxing forum has had a lot of posts today, many from regular AH posters too.

3: I don't think it needs it but that in-itself is not a legitimate reason for not having one. I believe that given the circumstances, and the blindingly obvious desire from AH users to talk about it (four threads locked about Katie) it should be allowed.

One of those was about a power cut and one wasnt about Katie Taylor.
    But anyway, if the other mods think there should be one, i wont go against it.

And to address the OP: "Mods are locking up threads now for no good reason", theres always a reason. We cant just lock threads we dont like, as much as we want to sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't know about the mods locking all sorts of threads, but I do agree that it should be considered having a well done Katie thread. I mean, there are always RIP threads for the most minor of celebrities etc etc, and fine if people want to get in their with that, but I think it'd be a nice balance to have a happy - congratulations - wooohhooooo! thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I closed both the ole thread and the one asking foreigners why Ireland was such a bad place because they were, imo started to cause an argument.

Why ask should people be banned from singing ole ole at a sporting event minutes after half the country were doing it? What harm is it doing to anyone?

Why ask foreigners why they thought Ireland was such a sh1thole?

So we could learn from it?

I don't believe that for one second. We all know whats wrong with the country, that thread has been done a million times before.

The first non Irish person who would come on and post their reasons would be met with a barrage of fcuk back to your own country if you don't like it here replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Im the OP of the thread asking what problems foreigners find with Ireland (linky below).

As you can see, there were no arguments. The mod is being dishonest in the post above.

Also, it was genuine thread. I mean it was interesting to note that none of the foreigners complained about the weather. And some people actually said "interesting thread".

Even after the thread got locked for no reason, I received more replies via pm because they couldn't post in the thread.

So, I'm officially asking for it to be reopened. Or for the trigger happy mod to get a slap on the wrist.

Here's the "offending" thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056722214?page=1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

skoomi wrote: »
    Im the OP of the thread asking what problems foreigners find with Ireland (linky below).

As you can see, there were no arguments. The mod is being dishonest in the post above.

Also, it was genuine thread. I mean it was interesting to note that none of the foreigners complained about the weather. And some people actually said "interesting thread".

Even after the thread got locked for no reason, I received more replies via pm because they couldn't post in the thread.

So, I'm officially asking for it to be reopened. Or for the trigger happy mod to get a slap on the wrist.

Here's the "offending" thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056722214?page=1

That thread was a car crash waiting to happen and was justifiably locked.

I will only slap the mod in question on the wrist if he wants me to.

Well then I guess I'll have to agree with post #1 here: It's extremely annoying and out of hand.

Well then I guess I'll have to agree with post #1 here: It's extremely annoying and out of hand.
    You just got given the reason why it was closed...

Change the title of the thread to "white people, tell me why you hate other races and what is wrong with them" and it's the same exact thing. It's just going to be trouble and not worth it.

You just got given the reason why it was closed...

Change the title of the thread to "white people, tell me why you hate other races and what is wrong with them" and it's the same exact thing. It's just going to be trouble and not worth it.

Hmmm ... I'm not sure if your tongue went far enough into the mods arse. Try again.

Dear Mods of AH: The thread lasted three pages with no swearing / fighting / confrontation at all. I don't think it's fair to close a thread which obeyed every rule in the book. If it gets out of hand, sure, lock it. But it was going well!

Please mods? Can we get an "outside of the box" view of Ireland? If it's not possible to re-open the thread, can one of you at least advise me how to re-phrase the thread so as not to upset Super-Rush.

I just think it would be interesting to compare our version of Ireland (same thing over and over again) with a refreshing observation from d'foreigners.

It could make us feel good ... I know I felt good after some of the PMs I got. One PM in particular (which was more of an essay actually) described how Ireland in fact beats America in many ways.

It just seemed a bit silly to close the thread so early due to a "car crash" which may or may not happen, according to Dr. Bollocks.

Mods, the trigger-happy thread locking is so ridiculous that some randomer brought this case to the "Supreme Boards Court" before I did, and it's my feckin' thread!

So... ?

Hmmm ... I'm not sure if your tongue went far enough into the mods' arses. Try again.

Dear Mods of AH: The thread lasted three pages with no swearing / fighting / confrontation at all. I don't think it's fair to close a thread which obeyed every rule in the book. If it gets out of hand, sure, lock it. But it was going well!

Please mods? Can we get an "outside of the box" view of Ireland? If it's not possible to re-open the thread, can one of you at least advise me how to re-phrase the thread so as not to upset Super-Rush.

I just think it would be interesting to compare our version of Ireland (same thing over and over again) with a refreshing observation from d'foreigners.

It could make us feel good ... I know I felt good after some of the PMs I got. One PM in particular (which was more of an essay actually) described how Ireland in fact beats America in many ways.

It just seemed a bit silly to close the thread so early due to a "car crash" which may or may not happen, according to Dr. Bollocks.

Mods, the trigger-happy thread locking is so ridiculous that some randomer brought this case to the "Supreme Boards Court" before I did, and it's my feckin' thread!

So... ?

My apologies that I could bloody well read the note. Would you go to say... downtown LA and announce through a megaphone the problems that's wrong with the areas with black people in them from a white person's persepctive?

Or go to a Rangers pub and announce the problems from a Celtic fans PoV?

Would you go to say... downtown LA and announce through a megaphone the problems that's wrong with the areas with black people in them from a white person's persepctive?

I'm not really sure what you're on about. Perhaps you're confusing the internet with real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Would you go to say... downtown LA and announce through a megaphone the problems that's wrong with the areas with black people in them from a white person's persepctive?

Would either of those points defeat the reasons behind doing either of those things?

"Someone might be upset."

"Better not do it then."

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure what you're on about. Perhaps you're confusing the internet with real life?

No, I was giving you examples. To put it very bluntly: you have to be vary naive to not realize someone is going to start throwing out abuse when some "fordiner" says "oh, I dislike X about Ireland". And it was locked before it came to that.
    grindle wrote: »
    Would either of those points defeat the reasons behind doing either of those things?

"Someone might be upset."

"Better not do it then."

That's why it'd be very stupid for someone not Irish to post what they think is wrong on an Irish website since it'll attract abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That's why it'd be very stupid for someone not Irish to post what they think is wrong on an Irish website since it'll attract abuse.

So you agree that there's not even a semblance of discourse?

Boards should remain an homogenised monologue?

grindle wrote: »
    So you agree that there's not even a semblance of discourse?

Boards should remain an homogenised monologue?

No but if something is flame bait it'll be stopped.

Brutal Deluxe, I think you're getting a bit too worked up about this for no reason.

It has nothing to do with you! I'm the OP of the thread in question, and I'm trying to present my case to the moderators. What are you doing here?!

By the way, you should get out more. Almost 1,000 posts since June? lol

Brutal Deluxe, I think you're getting a bit too worked up about this for no reason.

It has nothing to do with you! I'm the OP of the thread in question, and I'm trying to present my case to the moderators. What are you doing here?!

I'm not getting worked up, at all. I just know why it was closed. If you wanted a private resolution you should have PM'ed the mod. I'm here because I can be? That and I'm telling you what you'll be told by a mod: it was going to cause trouble so they closed it before it got out of hand.

No matter how much you insult people in here the thread will no be reopened. You've been given our reasons for making this decision so i suggest you build a bridge and move on.

If you wanted a private resolution you should have PM'ed the mod.

I did PM the mod.

I'm telling you what you'll be told by a mod

No, you're telling me what a mod has already told me. So why are you here?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    No matter how much you insult people in here the thread will no be reopened. You've been given our reasons for making this decision so i suggest you build a bridge and move on.

I didn't insult anyone. Also, where should I build a bridge to? I don't understand your metaphor.

I didn't insult anyone. Also, where should I build a bridge to? I don't understand your metaphor.

Really?
    Hmmm ... I'm not sure if your tongue went far enough into the mods arse. Try again.

according to Dr. Bollocks.

If you can't see the insults you've fired out in those two posts then threads being locked should be the least of your worries.

• Advertisement

I did PM the mod.

No, you're telling me what a mod has already told me. So why are you here?

Okay so what else did you want? Don't take that the wrong way, you did already get your answer, twice (I guess) so did you need it a third time or were you venting or did you have an actual complaint?

And again, I'm here because I can be and my reply was helpful.

Advertisement