Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretched PSU cables

Options
  • 09-08-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi to anyone that can help!
    I replaced my sisters case and upgraded the cpu fan today. It all works fine, but the problem is that the PSU cables are very stretched. They literally just stretch enough to fit into the right places in the motherboard. But literally JUST enough. The power cable for the cpu is literally pressed against the graphics card, and the main motherboard power cable is very stretched at the top end.
    So the real question is should the PSU be replaced, or should she just buy cables to extend the range (if they exist!). Apart from making me feel edgy about it, it also means that they can't be tidied up or anything either.
    Images - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8ydZqTH-wF1c2hFVXQzWmw5NzA In this image, you can see the CPU power cable being pressed against the graphics card... And also being hidden under the cpu cooler!
    Any advice would be welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you should be able to slide it underneath the GPU right in front of the PCIe slot. remove the GPU first obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Edenane

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you should be able to slide it underneath the GPU right in front of the PCIe slot. remove the GPU first obviously.
    That won't work, the cable isn't long enough. The current positioning is literally the only way it will fit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Edenane wrote: »
    That won't work, the cable isn't long enough. The current positioning is literally the only way it will fit :(

I'm pretty sure if it can fit over the graphics card, it can fit under it...

This is the 4+4 pin, yeah?

Just slide it under the rad as well.

I mean it... It won't fit under the PCIe slot. Here is a better picture: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8ydZqTH-wF1RGJDOHlwdEtfLWc
    Plus, the motherboard power cable is also stretched like that too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Edenane wrote: »
    I mean it... It won't fit under the PCIe slot. Here is a better picture: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8ydZqTH-wF1RGJDOHlwdEtfLWc
    Plus, the motherboard power cable is also stretched like that too :(

Can you flip the PSU around so the cables are closer to the motherboard?

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »
    Can you flip the PSU around so the cables are closer to the motherboard?
    Tried that earlier, the main motherboard plug won't reach when I did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just a quick question that PSU looks like it came out of the Univac and the GPU looks like it can just about run minecraft...

Why is there a H80 in that machine?! :D

I also don't understand why you can't run though cables under the GPU card - looks like there is loads of room to the left of the PCIe slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what PSU is that? it looks dodgy as hell. I wouldnt bring it near my system.

shoulda cut back on the H80...

Just a quick question that PSU looks like it came out of the Univac and the GPU looks like it can just about run minecraft...

Why is there a H80 in that machine?! :D
    Well, the PSU came packaged with her earlier case... The stock cpu cooler was too loud, and the aftermarket cooler she bought didn't fit... So she bought a H80 and a new case for it! The graphics card is decent enough... Plays minecraft at full settings, but gets used mostly for the Sims 3 :P It's a GeForce GT 440

• Advertisement

Tuck those SATA cables wunder the HDD as well they're hurting my eyes! :D

216394.jpg

I also don't understand why you can't run though cables under the GPU card - looks like there is loads of room to the left of the PCIe slot.
    I already tried that! It looks like it, it really does, but it doesn't fit!:P

Needs a new PSU then so. Might be able to get an extender from Maplin - a new PSU and a hooker would likely be cheaper knowing Maplin.

Tuck those SATA cables wunder the HDD as well they're hurting my eyes! :D

216394.jpg
    It's the perspective of the image, it really really will not fit! :D

Needs a new PSU then so. Might be able to get an extender from Maplin - a new PSU and a hooker would likely be cheaper knowing Maplin.
    True... Were stuck here in Monaghan though, no fancy Maplin close to here! I'll let her know, cheers everyone!

Advertisement