Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with dogs

• 09-08-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Hi, basically after a bit of advice,hopefully from people already working with dogs.

I'm currently in a pretty un-fulfilling job at the minute and would be interested in a career change to working with dogs. I'm unsure exactly what area but most likely something along the lines of training, dog walking or in boarding kennels.

I don't have much experience, apart from the one dog I had growing up and I now regularly walk and look after my sisters dog who is quite unruly but I seem to have the knack of being able to control her and be listened to.

I was hoping to get some advice from perhaps people who already do such jobs or even some business owners as to what steps I can take to give myself the best chance at making the switch.

I know experience counts for a lot and with working full time I have kind of put volunteering on the back burner, but it is something I want to get round to doing.

I am going to apply for a part time course at the college (1 night - 3hrs a week) in animal care. Would this be any use?

Would I also be correct in thinking this industry would be pretty competitive in regards to job openings?

Any advice would be great, and if this is in the wrong place or has been asked before then point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Advertisement