Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fined on Dublin Bus

• 09-08-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I am not from Dublin and until today was unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares.

I was going from Westmoreland Street to Celbridge and paid e1.90.

3 ticket inspectors came on to the bus at Lucan, looked at my ticket, demanded to see my id or they would haul me off to the police station to prove my identity.

They noted down my PPS number from my social services card, my student ID from an old student card and my address and issued me with a e50 fine.

I gave them a fake address, not that it would make much difference I assume seeing as they have my PPS number.

I have 21 days to pay this fine and they told me I would be brought to court if I didn't pay.

What happens if I don't pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

3 ticket inspectors came on to the bus at Lucan, looked at my ticket, demanded to see my id or they would haul me off to the police station to prove my identity.

They noted down my PPS number from my social services card, my student ID from an old student card and my address and issued me with a e50 fine.

I gave them a fake address, not that it would make much difference I assume seeing as they have my PPS number.

I have 21 days to pay this fine and they told me I would be brought to court if I didn't pay.

They'll send a letter saying they want you to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

None of this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why on earth would you give a fake address if they have you PPS number and name? Talk about compounding the fault.

Did it even cross your mind to ask for your destination and pay the fare demanded by the driver??? (mind boggles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, why didn't you take the DB7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

MadsL wrote: »
    Why on earth would you give a fake address if they have you PPS number and name? Talk about compounding the fault.

I don't see how that compounds anything.

They are Dublin bus inspectors, not the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

OP, why didn't you take the DB7?

Had it at mondello at the weekend and its in the shop getting a new clutch.

Seemingly the part has to be shipped from Japan and will take 3 weeks but for a few euro extra it can be shipped overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Ticket inspectors now work in threes?

Something fishy about this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Well the fine has gone up €100 now and honestly to save yourself the embarasment ask the driver if you don't know the fare.
    You were one of the unlucky ones as they are a very rare sight on the buses.

You can find all the rules on dublinbus.ie

Just a question will you be using the bus often or just down for few days.
    If planing on bus travel purchase a adult travel 90 smart card at 10 journey unlimited bus travel for 90mins for each use at a price of €21.50 works out cheaper then leap card as 1 use costs €2.15

Aquila wrote: »
    Did you not pay the fare of 1.90?or is it more:confused:

the fare is e2.65.

I paid e1.90.

Genuine mistake.

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    Ticket inspectors now work in threes?

Something fishy about this story.

4 actually 1 in the car that follows them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

They usually send you a letter by post first, then by brick then by petrol bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

What ticket did you ask the driver for? If you gave a false address you will hear nothing more about it. Can you get someone's address from a PPS number legally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

What ticket did you ask the driver for? If you gave a false address you will hear nothing more about it. Can you get someone's address from a PPS number legally?

guards and state bodies can.

if they bring me to court then the courts can find me through the pps number.

guards and state bodies can.

if they bring me to court then the courts can find me through the pps number.

How will they contact you?

EDIT: Dublin Bus isn't a state body for this purpose is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't see how that compounds anything.

They are Dublin bus inspectors, not the guards.

Pretty sure the byelaws make it an offence to give them a false address. They wouldn't be much good otherwise.

the fare is e2.65.

I paid e1.90.

Genuine mistake.

Hows it genuine ? If you don't know the fares how did you work out it would be €1.90

Was the address you gave 123 Fake Street Springfield

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

krudler wrote: »
    None of this happened.

Why do you think that the op is spoofing?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

If you don't pay you'll be brought to court and told to pay. If you don't pay then you'll go to prison or have to pay more. Just pay it.

It may have been a genuine mistake but tough luck. It's your own fault, they're the rules, so pay up.

I'd say you were bleedin' scarlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP,

Pay the fine. Cheaper in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You should of acted like a junkie, they would have ignored you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OP, if you didn't know the fares, where did you pluck €1.90 from?

Of course you knew the prices!

MagicSean wrote: »
    Pretty sure the byelaws make it an offence to give them a false address. They wouldn't be much good otherwise.

3 months prison and a fine of €500 but possible this fine has increased as standard penalty has doubled recently its been advertised all over the bus was €50 now €100.

It is illegal to give a false name, address or any other false details.
    Just look up the company bye laws.

MagicSean wrote: »

whose bylaws?

offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

the fare is e2.65.

I paid e1.90.

Genuine mistake.

How was it a genuine mistake?! You said yourself in the first post that you were unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares - it was completely up to you to ask the driver what the fare was if you weren't sure!

On what grounds do you think you shouldn't just pay the fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

gurramok wrote: »
    You should of acted like a junkie, they would have ignored you.

This is true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

krudler wrote: »
    None of this happened.

It did actually. The same 3 inspectors were on the 66 bus to Leixlip. Got off at my stop and jumped on the 67.

First time I've shown my ticket on a Dublin Bus in about 10 years.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    OP, if you didn't know the fares, where did you pluck €1.90 from?

Of course you knew the prices!

i get the bus around the city centre when i come up and for the last 3 months have been paying e1.90 for different journeys around the city to various houses. basically though it was a standard fare.

• Advertisement

I am a bit confused as to why people like the op do this because they just eventually bring hasle on themselves.

Be honest and contact dublin bus or post in the fine to them come on be a man not a little boy and be on here looking how to get off

How was it a genuine mistake?! You said yourself in the first post that you were unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares - it was completely up to you to ask the driver what the fare was if you weren't sure!

On what grounds do you think you shouldn't just pay the fine?

I don't think I have grounds not to pay the fine.

I'm wondering if they will actually prosecute me if i don't or looking for advice on how to sweet talk my way of it it or settle for a smaller amount possibly.

i get the bus around the city centre when i come up and for the last 3 months have been paying e1.90 for different journeys around the city to various houses. basically though it was a standard fare.

So you're pretty well used to Dublin Bus at this point! You were making out you were just some bumpkin who had no idea of the prices.

Of course you knew €1.90 wasn't a "standard fare". Come off it! That might've been what you told the inspectors but the internet won't believe you! The internet will see through your lies!

whose bylaws?

offence?

Come on you are strating to come across as someone who has mummy and daddy do everything for them

Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, Irish Rail, and other private companies have their own bye laws just like councils do in different areas

whose bylaws?

offence?
    58. (a) Any person who is reasonably suspected by an authorised person of contravening or attempting to contravene these Bye-Laws shall upon being requested so to do give his name and address to an authorised person who is an inspector, driver or conductor in uniform or who produces evidence of identity.
    (b) The person aforesaid shall on the request of the authorised person remain in the company of the authorised person pending verification of the name and address.
    (c) where any such person refuses or fails to comply with a request under paragraph (a) or (b) of this Bye-Law or following such request such person gives a name and address which the authorised person has reasonable grounds for believing is false or misleading, such person may be detained by the authorised person until the arrival of a member of the Garda Siochana.
    59. A member of the Garda Siochana may request a person-

(a) who has refused or failed to comply with a request under Bye-Law 58, or
    (b) who following a request under that Bye-Law has given to the authorised person concerned a name and address that the latter has reasonable grounds for believing to be false or misleading, or
    (c) detained pursuant to Bye-Law 58,
    to give to the member his name and address and if the person refuses or fails to give his name and address or gives a name or address that the member has reasonable grounds for believing to be false or misleading, the member may arrest the person without warrant.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/si/0394.html

I suggest you 'fess up and pay the fine. As it stands you are only making it worse for yourself.

I am a bit confused as to why people like the op do this because they just eventually bring hasle on themselves.
    Do what?
    Be honest and contact dublin bus or post in the fine to them come on be a man not a little boy and be on here looking how to get off

Being a man now equals paying the fine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP I sympathise with the fare confusion. I once asked the driver for a ticket to 'Drumcondra Road Upper' (from reading a map) and he was totally uncooperative. Said he didn't know where that was (it was on the route) and to tell him which zone. I said I didn't know, so he said to pay for whatever the furthest out zone was. I ended up guessing and happened to get it right, but since then I've been reluctant to ask drivers for help.

Being a man means being responsible for what you do and don't do. You didn't pay the right fare, it was your fault! You were fined accordingly. Pay the fine.

Most real men admit when they are wrong. You were in the wrong, admit it and pay the fine.

Unless you think there is a reason you shouldn't? I'd love to hear you justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Your question and the answer to your question in bold above.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/si/0394.html

I suggest you 'fess up and pay the fine. As it stands you are only making it worse for yourself.

Dublin bus inspectors can arrest people now or detain them against their will over 75c?

fook sake. next they will be carrying handguns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Out of interest, does anyone know what would happen if you just stood up and walked off the bus? I presume they can't stop you or keep the bus door locked, or that'd be false imprisonment, right? Or is there some by-law or somethin which gives them greater powers?

If they called the Gardaí, but you were out of dodge before the Gardaí showed up, would you be breaking any further laws (i.e. by running away, if you're subsequently caught can your punishment be greater)?

edit

I see the bye-law has been posted! Wow, shocked by that! My master plan won't work, it seems

Most real men admit when they are wrong. You were in the wrong, admit it and pay the fine.

Unless you think there is a reason you shouldn't? I'd love to hear you justify it.

Working on it. I'll get back to you.

Working on it. I'll get back to you.

You're just trolling now!

TheChizler wrote: »
    OP I sympathise with the fare confusion. I once asked the driver for a ticket to 'Drumcondra Road Upper' (from reading a map) and he was totally uncooperative. Said he didn't know where that was (it was on the route) and to tell him which zone. I said I didn't know, so he said to pay for whatever the furthest out zone was. I ended up guessing and happened to get it right, but since then I've been reluctant to ask drivers for help.

Similar thing happened me. I wanted to get to Aungier Street from Phobsboro. I told him wherever's closest to Aungier street. He was no help. Ended up just paying as far as the Liffey and walking from there. The 2nd day I tried to get a bus it drove past because it was full.
    Walked every day after that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Why do people getting so emotional over someone else's bad day? Jesus.

On two occasions I forgot (no really, forget) my seasonal Luas ticketwhen I lived in Ranelagh. I'd meet the inspectors, explain the situation and fax them a copy of the ticket the next day in work.

If you're genuine, inspectors will be flexible. But as there's no way for the inspectors to establish that you didn't make an honest mistake, they're just not in a position to help you. I'd say pay the fine and try be more careful next time, but I would see how it could be an honest mistake.

Dublin bus inspectors can arrest people now or detain them against their will over 75c?

fook sake. next they will be carrying handguns.

That's shocking. I know there was trouble with Luas security trying this before. I saw a fight going on and heard later that they tried to detain someone who didn't have a ticket and a few bystanders stepped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I don't think I have grounds not to pay the fine.

I'm wondering if they will actually prosecute me if i don't or looking for advice on how to sweet talk my way of it it or settle for a smaller amount possibly.

If you don't pay the fine they will prosecute you (once they can find you).

Fo' sho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They have no right to note your PPS number...

I live in Lucan but rarely see inspectors.

IvySlayer wrote: »

They seen the card in my wallet and told me that if I didn't give them my social card so they could note down my PPS number they would take me to the nearest garda station to verify my identity.

IvySlayer wrote: »

He effectively allowed it by showing the card as ID. Seemingly just walking away and catching the next bus wasn't an option as they can legally hold you until the guards arrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement