Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fined on Dublin Bus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I am not from Dublin and until today was unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares.

I was going from Westmoreland Street to Celbridge and paid e1.90.

3 ticket inspectors came on to the bus at Lucan, looked at my ticket, demanded to see my id or they would haul me off to the police station to prove my identity.

They noted down my PPS number from my social services card, my student ID from an old student card and my address and issued me with a e50 fine.

I gave them a fake address, not that it would make much difference I assume seeing as they have my PPS number.

I have 21 days to pay this fine and they told me I would be brought to court if I didn't pay.

What happens if I don't pay?

you do the crime you do the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

3 ticket inspectors came on to the bus at Lucan, looked at my ticket, demanded to see my id or they would haul me off to the police station to prove my identity.

They noted down my PPS number from my social services card, my student ID from an old student card and my address and issued me with a e50 fine.

I gave them a fake address, not that it would make much difference I assume seeing as they have my PPS number.

I have 21 days to pay this fine and they told me I would be brought to court if I didn't pay.

Op, you really should of played the 'stupid but apologetic' card. Then give them a fake name and address. And you certainely shouldnt of shown them your social card or student id (only a gardai can seach you)

See all this "show us your id or we will have to haul you off to the nearest gardai station" - its just scare tactics. dont get me wrong, if you act a right pr*ck to them they might just well call the guards to the bus. But just play the "nice" card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MadsL wrote: »
    So you are supporting wasting the Guards time? They gave him a very clear choice - show us ID and we won't have to involve the Guards - he chose to give them ID. Do they have the right to offer that choice, of course they do. You, I expect, would sit there mumbling something about 'no right to ask' and would end up dragging a Guard into it when they could be doing something more useful than dealing with a muppet who can't see that fare-dodging isn't socially acceptable.

edit:

You want to work on your reading.

What's that buddy?

You can't find anything in that statutory instrument which authorises anyone to demand ID? You've a real roundabout way of admitting that buddy. I read that right anyway buddy :)

Our friends in caps have two options under this SI that you're so enamoured with when you give them a name and address as required:

1) accept that it's valid
    2) suspect (on reasonable grounds only and no less begob) that it is not valid and request the intervention of the garda sheeokonnies.

No option three there buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP,

Pay the fine and in future buy a Travel90 ticket.

Saves tons of hassle.

Maybe even tonnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Bambi wrote: »
    What's that buddy?

You can't find anything in that statutory instrument which authorises anyone to demand ID? You've a real roundabout way of admitting that buddy. I read that right anyway buddy :)

Our friends in caps have two options under this SI that you're so enamoured with when you give them a name and address as required:

1) accept that it's valid
    2) suspect (on reasonable grounds only and no less begob) that it is not valid and request the intervention of the garda sheeokonnies.

No option three there buddy

1. I'm not your "buddy" or your "bud" or your "pal"
    2. Reasonable grounds would include refusing to show them any ID, so they have mandate to request ID to validate the name and address. Therefore the SI gives them the legal basis to do that. Now you can sit and squirm and sob about "your rights" but they a. Can legally prevent you from leaving the bus until your name and address had been validated or b. Wait until a Guard arrives who will just arrest you if you are as much of a gobshite to them as you are to the Inspectors.

You sound like an "entitled' brat advocating wasting police time over a bus ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

It isn't rocket science. Same as any other bus in the country, you tell the driver where you are going. You then pay the fare. Sorry but no sympathy whatsover. Especially with giving the false address. You have made a rod to beat your own back with if and when this goes to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Exactly, if you are unfamiliar with Dublin Bus prices you should have asked the bus driver. You obviously didn't and you've only got yourself to blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Folks lets help out a brother who needs help.

A mistake was made, should he have to lose E50?

It would be different if he didnt bother with a ticket at all, he is from athlone, they basically have one street.

How can he explain the mistake so that he is not lumped in with fare dodgers?

i think the inspectors should use a bit of descretion and when someone makes a mistake use a warning so that they know better for again.

Formation wrote: »

It would be different if he didnt bother with a ticket at all, he is from athlone, they basically have one street.

i think the inspectors should use a bit of descretion and when someone makes a mistake use a warning so that they know better for again.

That's fine, I appreciate that Inspectors should have discretion, but ask yourself - does giving a fake address strike you as being something an honest person would do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Ahhh good old Ireland -embezzle billions through fraudulent banking schemes and nobody bats an eyelid but do Dublin Bus out of a few cents and they'll hunt you down!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Should of pulled a legger while you had the chance, Now you have a nice fine to deal with for your foolishness!

gara wrote: »
    Ahhh good old Ireland -embezzle billions through fraudulent banking schemes and nobody bats an eyelid but do Dublin Bus out of a few cents and they'll hunt you down!!!!

Because in Ireland the law is not seen as something good towards a better society, but as an evil plot against you. If you can dodge the law, and find even better ways to dodge the law, to many in Ireland you are a absolute hero.

About time Ireland grew up. Fare-dodging just costs everyone more tax. The childishness about if Inspectors have this right or that right is nauseating. Grow up and be a useful member of society or pay the consequences.
    Should of pulled a legger while you had the chance, Now you have a nice fine to deal with for your foolishness!

And there is the prime example.

It isn't rocket science. Same as any other bus in the country, you tell the driver where you are going. You then pay the fare. Sorry but no sympathy whatsover. Especially with giving the false address. You have made a rod to beat your own back with if and when this goes to court.

Very moral crusader of you ;)
    Like, i don't argue with the majority of your post but that "especially with giving the false address" line... such a moral crusader comment :pac:

Like you've never told a lie to get out of something. be it with work, social or what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Had it at mondello at the weekend and its in the shop getting a new clutch.

Seemingly the part has to be shipped from Japan and will take 3 weeks but for a few euro extra it can be shipped overnight.

That's what he said when someone said why he didn't take the db7
    So I assumed he had one

It was a joke, the only db7 he has is this one http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=route&searchquery=7

Why would he be getting parts from Japan for a car made in England?

Like, i don't argue with the majority of your post but that "especially with giving the false address" line... such a moral crusader comment :pac:

Like you've never told a lie to get out of something. be it with work, social or what not.

I'm sure he has, as have I. But neither of us have come crying on boards afterwards looking for a way out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

I'm a ****e lier so I don't bother. Still have no sympathy with the OP :)

I'm sure he has, as have I. But neither of us have come crying on boards afterwards looking for a way out of it.

Very true :) ... Insulting to the op :pac: but true.
    I'm a ****e lier so I don't bother. Still have no sympathy with the OP smile.gif

I believe what del boy said!
    who dares, wins! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hold on read all the posts by him he says he doesn't know anything not from dublin.
    Right got that he then says he uses the buses a lot when he comes to dublin.
    If he pays €1.90 all the time and really should be paying €2.65 then he just proved that he is a fare dodger and from all he has said he doesn't care and Bambi doesn't have a clue either but get that they are saying what they are to wind some of the posters up.

When you go to the shop and purchase goods do you think they will let you pay less cause you didn't know the price cause you never shopped there before.

Taxi same thing if the journey is €20 its €20 that how the world works Im afraid.

Id refuse to give them id to be honest, sure they have no legal right to ask for it and they also have no right to physically restrain you. Id have got of the bus with them and then Id be gone like s**t of a shovel!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Good to see them doing their job !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Id refuse to give them id to be honest, sure they have no legal right to ask for it and they also have no right to physically restrain you. Id have got of the bus with them and then Id be gone like s**t of a shovel!!

I think it's already been shown that they do have the right to restrain you and hand you over to the Gardaí.

1. I'm not your "buddy" or your "bud" or your "pal"
    2. Reasonable grounds would include refusing to show them any ID, so they have mandate to request ID to validate the name and address. Therefore the SI gives them the legal basis to do that. Now you can sit and squirm and sob about "your rights" but they a. Can legally prevent you from leaving the bus until your name and address had been validated or b. Wait until a Guard arrives who will just arrest you if you are as much of a gobshite to them as you are to the Inspectors.

You sound like an "entitled' brat advocating wasting police time over a bus ticket.

1 I'll decide who my buddys are thank you very much. For now you're definitely my buddy, buddy. I can understand you came steaming in here laying down the law and now you're bulling that you've been made look a little silly ubt that's no reason to be getting all personal bud. It's just a life lesson is all

2. You're now off into the realms supposition buddy. Pure speculation there. Look's like fun, playing the makey up legal expert so I'll have a go too: Once you have given your name/address to our theoretical inspector you have complied with the requirements of the SI, he now has to decide whether your reply was truthful, he has no powers under the SI to demand corroborating information so to demand ID would not a lawful order as he has no powers to make that demand. No, our flat capped friend has to make a decision with only the information provided and if he is not happy then he may request the services of a garda, provided he has reasonable grounds to do so. Of course you could feel free to show ID to any stalwart guardian of the peace who is summoned if you so desired. You could also feel free to make our inspector friends life awkward if it turned out you had given him a valid name and address after all.

All of which could also total sh*te based on nothing, just like your wild speculation :)

You sound like an "entitled' brat advocating wasting police time over a bus ticket
    ah the old "sound like" wheeze to try and circumvent that pesky personal abuse rule, bit of a clumsy effort but I don't take it personal buddy, no harm done wha'? I'm just all for keeping petty tyrants in check when they start overstepping their remit. Makes for a better world all round. You'd be more of the "nothing to hide-do what you're told" worldview I'd say. But sure takes all sorts buddy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Personally im pissed off that in the height of a recession they increased all the fares by at least 25c when it makes sense that more people cant afford to run a car so bus use should have increased.

doing someone over a 75c mistake is lousy which is the reason I would try to help out the op. they dont seem like some little scumbag from the ghetto.

there should be a fine for someone with no ticket and a bit of leeway for a mistake.

also dublin bus drivers should be giving change, it would be very quick and easy with a coin dispenser, who actually goes in to dublin bus with their 10c change ticket? Sickening that they get away with that.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I think it's already been shown that they do have the right to restrain you and hand you over to the Gardaí.

They can try.....

Especially when it was a genuine mistake I wouldn't have a notion of giving them any information or paying a fine not a notion.

They can try.....

Assaulting them would only add further charges to a growing list. All for the sake of cheaping out on a few cents on a bus fare.

• Advertisement

Assaulting them would only add further charges to a growing list. All for the sake of cheaping out on a few cents on a bus fare.

Why would I assault anyone, I never suggested that. Also it was a genuine mistake on behalf of the op not "cheaping out".

In any case I know of one person who got a luas fine years ago and gave a false address but real name, they have never heard a thing about it so the op may get away with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Personally im pissed off that in the height of a recession they increased all the fares by at least 25c when it makes sense that more people cant afford to run a car so bus use should have increased.

doing someone over a 75c mistake is lousy which is the reason I would try to help out the op. they dont seem like some little scumbag from the ghetto.

This is called revenue protection the OP admitted to travelling a lot and always paying €1.90 glad got caught and hope he was red in the face..

there should be a fine for someone with no ticket and a bit of leeway for a mistake.

They do know when someone makes a mistake but there is an appeal process the OP was wrong honestly can't see why anyone is sticking up for him.

also dublin bus drivers should be giving change, it would be very quick and easy with a coin dispenser, who actually goes in to dublin bus with their 10c change ticket? Sickening that they get away with that.

Bus drivers use to have cash and handle cash but this had to stop as it was too dangerous. Drivers were attacked on a regular basis for the money sure look The bus driver is always wrong its their fault they can't give change cause no one respects life here in Ireland, their fault the bus is always full or late or not the number you want or how dare they be out of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

ah ha ha bus wanker!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Personally im pissed off that in the height of a recession they increased all the fares by at least 25c

If Dublin Bus wasn't heavily subsidised, you'd be paying a lot more.

Bambi wrote: »
    1 I'll decide who my buddys are thank you very much. For now you're definitely my buddy, buddy.
    Beginning to get a picture of you now. One of those irritating little feckers who call everybody "buddy" and think they are hysterically funny, whilst everyone just can't wait until they leave.
    I can understand you came steaming in here laying down the law and now you're bulling that you've been made look a little silly ubt that's no reason to be getting all personal bud. It's just a life lesson is all

I didn't lay down any law, the people of Ireland did. You are the one advocating sitting there and wasting police time whilst you assert your 'rights'. Does that right include sponging off the rest of us by not paying bus fare?
    2. You're now off into the realms supposition buddy. Pure speculation there. Look's like fun, playing the makey up legal expert so I'll have a go too: Once you have given your name/address to our theoretical inspector you have complied with the requirements of the SI, he now has to decide whether your reply was truthful, he has no powers under the SI to demand corroborating information so to demand ID would not a lawful order as he has no powers to make that demand. No, our flat capped friend has to make a decision with only the information provided and if he is not happy then he may request the services of a garda, provided he has reasonable grounds to do so. Of course you could feel free to show ID to any stalwart guardian of the peace who is summoned if you so desired.

All of which is pretty much what I posted, if you are not prepared to show corroboration in the form of ID then it is entirely reasonable for the Inspector to ask for the assistance of the Gardai or ask you to come with them to the Gardai unless you provide them with ID. As someone pointed out it is no different to being asked for ID when buying alchohol, if you want the booze prove you are over 18. If you want off the bus prove your name and address.
    You could also feel free to make our inspector friends life awkward if it turned out you had given him a valid name and address after all.

Make his life awkward? I'm sure the other bus inspectors would tease him unmercifully for being so untrusting. Dear me, what sanctions would you expect. The inspector is doing his job.
    All of which could also total sh*te based on nothing, just like your wild speculation :)
    Did I not post earlier that I was opening a thread on Legal Discussion about this?
    ah the old "sound like" wheeze to try and circumvent that pesky personal abuse rule, bit of a clumsy effort but I don't take it personal buddy, no harm done wha'?

Ah, story wha' Gas man blah blah. Do you really talk like that or just when you are impressing your buddies (who secretly hate you) by fare-dodging?
    I'm just all for keeping petty tyrants in check when they start overstepping their remit.
    Yeah, you do that. Make the feckers fetch a Garda if they wanna mess with you. You don't answer to the man. Demand to speak to a Superintendent too when the Gardai arrive. No better than KGB those Bus Inspectors with thier 'pay the fare' nonsense.

Fcks sake, grow up.
    Makes for a better world all round.
    Wasting police time makes for a better world. Are you mentally challenged?
    You'd be more of the "nothing to hide-do what you're told" worldview I'd say. But sure takes all sorts buddy. :)

Actually I posted quite recently against the "if you have nothing to hide" myth. Knock yourself out finding it. Oddly enough it had nothing to do with paying bus fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why the f*ck did you show them any form of ID? We don't have an ID card in this country, pretty sure they have no legal authority to demand ID, and it would have been perfectly legitimate for you to claim you didn't have any with you, as you're not legally obliged to carry any form of document.

Eejit

Why the f*ck did you show them any form of ID? We don't have an ID card in this country, pretty sure they have no legal authority to demand ID, and it would have been perfectly legitimate for you to claim you didn't have any with you, as you're not legally obliged to carry any form of document.

Eejit

Do you think producing ID to the Garda would have been better for the OP, especially since he gave a false name and address.

As there were three inspectors, how would he get off the bus?

What would the Gardai do exactly? They have no right to demand ID either seeing as ID is not compulsory to be carried in this country. Nobody has the legal right to ask to see your student ID or Age Card or whatever unless you're trying to use it to do something explicit, as we do not have a legal identity card in Ireland.

One of the many reasons to oppose such a card, indeed.

The student card is not a legal form of identity, therefore how could a bus inspector have a legal right to ask for one? They have no more right to see your student ID card than they do to see your Xtravision card or Tesco clubcard. It carries as much legal weight of either of those.

What would the Gardai do exactly? They have no right to demand ID either seeing as ID is not compulsory to be carried in this country. Nobody has the legal right to ask to see your student ID or Age Card or whatever unless you're trying to use it to do something explicit, as we do not have a legal identity card in Ireland.

They would verify that he was who he claimed to be living at such and such an address. If they were not satisfied, they could arrest him without warrant.

In such a situation why would you NOT produce ID rather than be arrested?

That's a different debate, however on the spot fines wouldn't be a bad thing in my view.
    The student card is not a legal form of identity, therefore how could a bus inspector have a legal right to ask for one? They have no more right to see your student ID card than they do to see your Xtravision card or Tesco clubcard. It carries as much legal weight of either of those.

They have a legal right to establish your identity beyond reasonable doubt. "Have you anything that proves your address?" is different to "I demand to see your student card". If you do not volunteer the information, or choose not to cooperate, then they have the legal right to involve the Gardai.

Are you arguing that they should have no powers to hold a fare-dodger until they are satisfied as to his identity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

So the OP got the bus from the city centre out to Celbridge, Co. Kildare and thought it was a standard fare of 1.90? G'way outta that!

Sure, then everyone would be chancing it. Giving the inspectors sob stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Dublin Bus is entitled to enforce its By-laws as a condition of providing the service. By using the service, you agree a contract. Simple as. If you want to use Dublin Bus services at a discounted rate, that's part of the contract.

That's not to say the bus inspectors don't use their discretion about it. I avoided a fine for not carrying a Student Travelcard because, according to the inspector "you were honest." He also told me he thought it was a stupid system.

If he wanted he could have slapped the €50 standard penalty on me -- but he didn't because I didn't try any juvenile false address tactics. If you pass the attitude test, discretion will work your way.

I'd also like to point out that bus fares are on signs on every goddamn bus shelter in the city, and people like the OP are one of the reasons a 30 day Smart Card now costs a tenner more than it did when I started college.

Just out of interest, would anyone happen to know when €1.90 would have bought you a ticket for over 14 stages, i.e. the only fare which would take you the entire length of a bus route?

I'm suprised this thread has reached ten pages....

They would verify that he was who he claimed to be living at such and such an address. If they were not satisfied, they could arrest him without warrant.

In such a situation why would you NOT produce ID rather than be arrested?

Because in my experience there's a very good possibility they couldn't be arsed. Worth a shot. There's nothing illegal about not carrying ID so it's not like he would have got in more trouble...?

They have a legal right to establish your identity beyond reasonable doubt. "Have you anything that proves your address?" is different to "I demand to see your student card". If you do not volunteer the information, or choose not to cooperate, then they have the legal right to involve the Gardai.

You can volunteer it, but you don't legally have to have anything on you to prove your ID.
    Are you arguing that they should have no powers to hold a fare-dodger until they are satisfied as to his identity?

No, I'm simply arguing that they don't have the right to demand a non legal form of ID. Showing them a student card seems mad.

They would arrest him and charge him with providing a false address.
    Because in my experience there's a very good possibility they couldn't be arsed. Worth a shot. There's nothing illegal about not carrying ID so it's not like he would have got in more trouble...?

You can volunteer it, but you don't legally have to have anything on you to prove your ID.

No, I'm simply arguing that they don't have the right to demand a non legal form of ID. Showing them a student card seems mad.

Depends on what you mean by trouble. Seem people would consider an arrest and a stay in a cell to be trouble. Most people actually.

• Advertisement

Bucklesman wrote: »
    Just out of interest, would anyone happen to know when €1.90 would have bought you a ticket for over 14 stages, i.e. the only fare which would take you the entire length of a bus route?

It used to, actually.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212323

Have to be honest, ever since Dublin bus increased the first fare from €1.50 to €1.65 and then up again to whatever the hell it is now, I've lost all sympathy for them. Prices should be going down in a recession like this, not up. Inflation like this is one of the reasons Ireland is f*cked.

They would arrest him and charge him with providing a false address.

How exactly would they verify that? I know a lad who was asked to give a name and address to the Gardai for pissing in public near Pearse Dart station, he gave them a fake one and that was the end of it.
    Depends on what you mean by trouble. Seem people would consider an arrest and a stay in a cell to be trouble. Most people actually.

An arrest? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Bucklesman wrote: »

I would say about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

The amount of times I have been on Dublin Bus and never once seen a inspector! At one stage I thought the were around anymore. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's not that easy to get out of a one-door bus with three inspectors on board usually split between upstairs and downstairs..

I was on a 77A a few years ago where they were very thorough...one poor lad got on with a pass and they were standing in the middle door stepwell, asked him to show it and rang the social welfare office on the bus to check details as it was crumpled...

dfx- wrote: »
    I was on a 77A a few years ago where they were very thorough...one poor lad got on with a pass and they were standing in the middle door stepwell, asked him to show it and rang the social welfare office on the bus to check details as it was crumpled...

Recently, a bus driver caught a woman out on the bus with fake social welfare pass. He took it off her to look more closely and found in the plastic pouch about 8 fake IDs in it! Gardai were called and the bus driver said he'd been after her for 3-4 months. Sneaky witch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Larianne wrote: »
    Recently, a bus driver caught a woman out on the bus with fake social welfare pass. He took it off her to look more closely and found in the plastic pouch about 8 fake IDs in it! Gardai were called and the bus driver said he'd been after her for 3-4 months. Sneaky witch.

I overheard a funny conversation on a train between Derry and Belfast. A woman had a social welfare pass and the ticket inspector thought she was making it up. Ended up ringing the office who called the Social Welfare Offices in Dublin to ask if there was such a think and how it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

More importantly why the feck does Dublin Bus go out to Celbridge and not Ashbourne.. Bus Eireann is well too expensive for my liking these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

He said that you can pay whatever you want just name a price to the driver as its less hassle than making him look up the price for that exact stop.

A friend of mine told me to do this too. He said you just say '€1.90' to the driver and you're sorted. Any time I'm in Dublin & have to use the bus, that's what I do regardless of where I'm going. I have no idea if I was ever supposed to have paid more than that

• Advertisement

Beginning to get a picture of you now. One of those irritating little feckers who call everybody "buddy" and think they are hysterically funny, whilst everyone just can't wait until they leave.
    Anger
    I didn't lay down any law, the people of Ireland did. You are the one advocating sitting there and wasting police time whilst you assert your 'rights'. Does that right include sponging off the rest of us by not paying bus fare?
    More Anger, when did I say I don't pay my fare buddy?
    All of which is pretty much what I posted,

Well no it's not
    if you are not prepared to show corroboration in the form of ID then it is entirely reasonable for the Inspector to ask for the assistance of the Gardai or ask you to come with them to the Gardai unless you provide them with ID. As someone pointed out it is no different to being asked for ID when buying alchohol, if you want the booze prove you are over 18. If you want off the bus prove your name and address.

I doubt that you are required to corroborate ANYTHING to a bus inspector Capiche? He can't ask you to produce ID, he can't ask you to ring your spouse/employer so he can confirm your identity with them. He can't do shag all except call for a garda once he has reasonable grounds to believe that you gave a false name/address.

Did I not post earlier that I was opening a thread on Legal Discussion about this?

Good man, but when you do try and keep it to the relevant point yeah? Does the SI give the dublin bus employees the power to demand ID or other corroboration to confirm your identity. Let us know how you get on there anyway

Ah, story wha' Gas man blah blah. Do you really talk like that or just when you are impressing your buddies (who secretly hate you) by fare-dodging?
    More anger there
    Yeah, you do that. Make the feckers fetch a Garda if they wanna mess with you. You don't answer to the man. Demand to speak to a Superintendent too when the Gardai arrive. No better than KGB those Bus Inspectors with thier 'pay the fare' nonsense.

Fcks sake, grow up.

Wasting police time makes for a better world. Are you mentally challenged?

More angry anger

Advertisement