Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fined on Dublin Bus

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

They survived on about 50c less for every journey from Dun Laoghaire to Deans Grange for about half a decade. As I said, normally I wouldn't approve of this behavior but with ridiculous price inflation like that on top of being in a recession where we're supposed to be getting MORE competitive, I have no sympathy left for either Dublin Bus or the DART service. I fail to see how the price of the same journey can possible increase by half a Euro in just a couple of years (and it's a lot more than that for other journeys).

Couple this with Dublin Bus's nonsensical refusal to accept noted and/or give change on busses and you have an absolute shambles of a service.

Vote with your wallet.

No expert or haven't done any research but I would imagine cost of fuel is one reason why prices have had to go up. Also the amount of people making journeys has dropped a lot I would think, seeing as less people are commuting to work. In that case they can either reduce services (which I think they have done in some cases?) and then take a bollocking from people complaining about it, or increase fares and then take a bollocking from people complaining about it.

And the reason they don't give change is to stop them being robbed, which used to happen a lot when they did give out change. Makes a lot of sense, and for anyone with half a brain to ensure they have change is not really a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

They survived on about 50c less for every journey from Dun Laoghaire to Deans Grange for about half a decade. As I said, normally I wouldn't approve of this behavior but with ridiculous price inflation like that on top of being in a recession where we're supposed to be getting MORE competitive, I have no sympathy left for either Dublin Bus or the DART service. I fail to see how the price of the same journey can possible increase by half a Euro in just a couple of years (and it's a lot more than that for other journeys).

Couple this with Dublin Bus's nonsensical refusal to accept noted and/or give change on busses and you have an absolute shambles of a service.

Vote with your wallet.

Yeah, not like the price of fuel went up or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

the fare is e2.65.

I paid e1.90.

Genuine mistake.

How did you decide e1.90 was the appropriate fare?

i get the bus around the city centre when i come up and for the last 3 months have been paying e1.90 for different journeys around the city to various houses. basically though it was a standard fare.

So your story is you randomly guessed the fare and then for no reason assumed it was the standard fare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Kirby wrote: »
    Jaysus the moralists are out in force in this thread.

He didn't fare dodge or try to sneak on without paying. He simply paid too little to the tune of a euro. Calm down people. Most people would see paying a 50 or 100 euro fine for such an offence to be unreasonable and would look for a way out of it. The OP isn't the scourge of the earth for trying to avoid it. Bit of common sense here people.

If I paid the wrong fare and an inspector stopped me, I would apologise and offer to pay the difference. If he asked for a name and address I would give it, but he is in his ****e getting a look at my wallet. If he doesn't believe me, that's his problem. My ID stays in my pocket.

He does it all the time he let that slip near the start its good enough for him and if anyone is not happy with the fine they can appeal it the same as a parking ticket

Bambi wrote: »
    I hate mocha's, large americano for me please and thank you. I've had my fun, while being correct, and that's all that matters :)

Thats good you had your fun but your not correct ha ha no come backs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The OP hasn't a leg to stand on; the bus-driver is there to tell you how much you need to pay if you're unsure. Common sense would also tell you that Westmoreland-Celbridge is one of the longest, if not the longest, bus routes Dublin Bus takes. If there's a €2.65 fare, you can be damn sure that's it.

The only way the OP would have a legitimate grievance is if they had just put up their fares. For example, it used to be €1.85 into town for me, now it is €2.15. The first time I got on a bus when a new fare was introduced, it seemed that the fare didn't correspond with the journey-length on the ticket. You'd probably have gotten away with it if such circumstances were at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dog The Bounty Hunter will be calling to his gaff. You want that brah, you want it? You want the Dog and his crew kicking your door down brah? You gotta speak to the lord our saviour to turn your life around. If we piss test you, you gonna be clean brah? You still smoking ice? i can tell

Cuff him Beth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Vote with your wallet

Government subsidies historically have been at a much lower level than most other European cities. They are now being cut even more - the gap has to be bridged somehow - otherwise services will have to be cut. The company has like other bus operators had the Fuel Duty exemption removed by the government. The latter means a large increase on fuel costs apart from any fluctuations in fuel prices.

As it is people can avail of the LEAP card, Travel 90 ticket or the taxsaver scheme to pay lower fares.

If you have a problem with the fare levels then I suggest you contact your local government TD as it is the government policy decisions that are pushing fares up. They are trying to shift a greater part of the burden onto the passenger rather than pay a subsidy.

As for the rationale for the autofare system, it is simple. Prior to its introduction drivers were being attacked every week by junkies etc to get the cash and the absenteeism rate soared due to large numbers of drivers being off sick having been attacked.

After consultations between the company and unions this system was the only viable option as it meant drivers had no access to any cash. Magically the attacks ceased almost immediately.

But you of course don't seem to think that providing that safe environment for drivers to work in without fear of being attacked is a price worth paying?

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    I think it's already been shown that they do have the right to restrain you and hand you over to the Gardaí.

People who don't play by the rules don't play by the rules.

Bus Eireann has a standard fare that you pay, regardless of the length of the journey.

Since when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

psinno wrote: »
    People who say they play by the rules don't play by the rules.

Fixed it for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I am not from Dublin and until today was unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares.

I was going from Westmoreland Street to Celbridge and paid e1.90.

3 ticket inspectors came on to the bus at Lucan, looked at my ticket, demanded to see my id or they would haul me off to the police station to prove my identity.

They noted down my PPS number from my social services card, my student ID from an old student card and my address and issued me with a e50 fine.

I gave them a fake address, not that it would make much difference I assume seeing as they have my PPS number.

I have 21 days to pay this fine and they told me I would be brought to court if I didn't pay.

What happens if I don't pay?

was unfamiliar with Dublin Bus fares.

I was going from Westmoreland Street to Celbridge and paid e1.90

seems very reasonable..did you actually ask the fare or assume this what a 30k bus journey costs according to 1981 fares? easy mistake to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm sorry - he repeatedly paid a lower fare than the appropriate one.

As I've posted above, an examination of his posting history shows him to be in Dublin at least two years and has been trying to evade paying correct prices in numerous different situations.

He is hardly angelic.

If everyone did that every day what would the effect be on the company's revenue stream?
    nancy drew is on the case and she won't be ignored.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Government subsidies historically have been at a much lower level than most other European cities. They are now being cut even more - the gap has to be bridged somehow - otherwise services will have to be cut. The company has like other bus operators had the Fuel Duty exemption removed by the government. The latter means a large increase on fuel costs apart from any fluctuations in fuel prices.

As it is people can avail of the LEAP card, Travel 90 ticket or the taxsaver scheme to pay lower fares.

If you have a problem with the fare levels then I suggest you contact your local government TD as it is the government policy decisions that are pushing fares up. They are trying to shift a greater part of the burden onto the passenger rather than pay a subsidy.

As for the rationale for the autofare system, it is simple. Prior to its introduction drivers were being attacked every week by junkies etc to get the cash and the absenteeism rate soared due to large numbers of drivers being off sick having been attacked.

After consultations between the company and unions this system was the only viable option as it meant drivers had no access to any cash. Magically the attacks ceased almost immediately.

But you of course don't seem to think that providing that safe environment for drivers to work in without fear of being attacked is a price worth paying?
    my ideal situation is that the bus driver gives me my change from behind protective/shatter proof glass.

• Advertisement

Formation wrote: »
    my ideal situation is that the bus driver gives me my change from behind protective/shatter proof glass.

The screen wont stop someone getting in them screens aren't worth a shi*e.
    It would be great if they could give out change but things were bad with drivers been attacked imagine what things would be like now if they did.

Sure we do hear a lot now the cops are over streched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

How'd this get to 15 pages.

Anyone stops me my name is Joe O'Toole, 14 Connolly Place, Ranelagh.
    I know it better than my real name & address.

Just get off the bus at the next stop then hop on the following one.

Sorry to the real Joe O'Toole if you're out there.

Rabidlamb wrote: »

I know it better than my real name & address.

Just get off the bus at the next stop then hop on the following one.

Sorry to the real Joe O'Toole if you're out there.

I have a doubt about that Sir, do you happen to have anything that verifies that?
    No.
    Very well, lets have the Guards see who you are.
    Oh, doing a runner? Good thing we locked the doors.

Is getting a LEAP card beyond you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MadsL wrote: »
    I have a doubt about that Sir, do you happen to have anything that verifies that?
    No.
    Very well, lets have the Guards see who you are.
    Oh, doing a runner? Good thing we locked the doors.

Is getting a LEAP card beyond you?
    MadsL wrote: »
    You are welcome to debate that on the LD thread. But as far as AH is concerned, I'm out.

You're back I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Evidemment

Pay it.
    However, if it is the case that you feel you have genuinely been wronged you can free yourself to redeme the cost throughout your lifetime at the states expense.
    You could wait a while and then start underpaying your fares on purpose til the books balance (some risk involved)
    Im sure over many years you will find little ways to redress this little injustice. 1 unpaid tv licence should be enough. 5 Toilet rolls from hospitals annually for a decade. lightbulbs or biros too. Be creative.
    You really only have urself to answer to. So hopefully it was just a mistake .

• Advertisement

You're back I see :)

As are you?
    I've had my fun

As to being out - I'm out of the debate on the legalities with you. You can troll debate it with me on legal discussion if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Evidemment

Your home litter in public bins maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

This thread is gas

Rabidlamb wrote: »

I know it better than my real name & address. Just get off the bus at the next stop then hop on the following one. Sorry to the real Joe O'Toole if you're out there.
    they will offer you a choice of producing id or talking to a guard.

do you have picture id for joe o'tool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unfortunately that did not work either - drivers were still attacked despite having the screens, often when a bus was at a terminus.

Advertisement