Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Indian takeways here so expensive?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Just a quick look on JustEat (I know it can be slightly dearer), €20 for a curry (jalfrezi) and rice. That includes five quid delivery. Five quid, that's only a couple euro less than a taxi!

You're looking at around forty quid just to feed two people, and that's just one course and probably not even drinks. Insane.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's baffling right! I ordered from sahi palace the last night as I found it to be the best value, cooked the rice myself though as I was going to be waiting an hour anyway.

Takeaway from sahi was nice but very oily, I'd use them again...in moderation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Having to pay for rice is an odd one as well. When you order a main course in most places it comes with spuds or veg or chips or whatever. You're hardly going to eat the curry by itself.

People will say it's probably included in the price in the former example, but it's not as if the curry alone is cheap. How much does it cost to sit in at these places?

Shocking when you compare to somewhere like Glasgow where £20 at the Indian would feed a family of 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Having to pay for rice is an odd one as well. When you order a main course in most places it comes with spuds or veg or chips or whatever. You're hardly going to eat the curry by itself.

People will say it's probably included in the price in the former example, but it's not as if the curry alone is cheap. How much does it cost to sit in at these places?

Shocking when you compare to somewhere like Glasgow where £20 at the Indian would feed a family of 4
    totally agree. was in birmingham not to long ago, 2 chicken baltis, 2 large nanns 2 starters with free popadoms £18. our local curry house in town we visited once.. 2 chicken tandori, 2 tiny nanns, popadoms, 1 starter E34:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

avfc1874 wrote: »
    totally agree. was in birmingham not to long ago, 2 chicken baltis, 2 large nanns 2 starters with free popadoms £18. our local curry house in town we visited once.. 2 chicken tandori, 2 tiny nanns, popadoms, 1 starter E34:eek:
    Brum has about about 700 curry houses compared to Galways ten id guess!!

The usual excuse is that they charge what people will pay, but I don't actually know anybody in who's ordered an Indian in Galway. You would think they'd want to compete with the Chinese and Pizza places.

I mean pizza places are a notorious rip off, but €20 will get you a large pizza with drinks and 1+ sides which is enough to feed 2 people. The same at an Indian barely feeds one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Totally miffed aswell. Its not as if they are so fancy and exotic that they have to be so expensive. Why don't we loose some kebab shops for a few indians.... no cowboy setups though ........ badaboom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'd often order the curry without rice, with a GOC naan or some saag aloo instead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

That's why they are allowed to overcharge in Galway?

7oz chicken fillet cost restaurants apprx 86cents each
    good quality basmati €1.10 per kg
    spices mostly all under €4 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's why they are allowed to overcharge in Galway?

7oz chicken fillet cost restaurants apprx 86cents each
    good quality basmati €1.10 per kg
    spices mostly all under €4 per kg
    No thats why there would be a difference in the amount charged between both places due to the far larger volume of available eateries of that particular type, get it now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've said it before but I think a proper Indian TAKE AWAY would do brilliant in town. I always feel self conscious about standing around in a restaurant waiting for my food. Also a take away would have less overheads so could probably afford to sell at chipper prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What are the ten these days? I don't live in Galway anymore. I can only think of

Kashmir
    Eastern Tandoori
    The one on Buttermilk Lane
    Shama/that one facing Cobwebs/The Townhouse

What others are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I also agree, in America Indian is as cheap as Chinese. They are defo more proper restaurant prices here so we never bother with them. When we really get a desperate craving we get the M&S indian. They used to have a better selection, but they are still good for now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

If it is too expensive, don`t pay for it
    Nobody forced you to buy it.
    Make your own dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Some of them do takeaway discounts you don't get on just eat to cover their cost. I think kumars and eastern tandoori include rice. Olives in salthill have grabone offers regularly that make them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Has anyone noticed the sign on the Eastern Tandoori? "Indian cuisine for DISCRIMINATING Gourmet" makes me laugh every time i pass. Can't remember the last curry i ordered in Ireland, find them of poor quality and very expensive. i can cook a far better curry myself if i do say so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If it is too expensive, don`t pay for it
    Nobody forced you to buy it.
    Make your own dinner.

Not really a helpful answer to the thread title is it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I reckon the reason is that over here Indian's don't market themselves as take aways.
    They are all "proper" restaurants and are priced as such.

In Athlone a few of the Kebab places do indian dishes (korma's, Balti's etc) and they charge prices which would be comparable to the chinese take aways. Pretty good indian too.

I know the kebab place beside kelly's (best naan in galway, btw, hands down) have a few curries on the menu.

In the UK most of the curry houses are just like kebab shops/chippers in set up, it's a take away not arestaurant, hence the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kashmir
    Eastern Tandoori
    The one on Buttermilk Lane
    Shama/that one facing Cobwebs An Cupan Tae /The Townhouse

Seaneh wrote: »
    I reckon the reason is that over here Indian's don't market themselves as take aways.
    They are all "proper" restaurants and are priced as such.

And there is your answer: it's not just marketing, there is no Indian take-away in Galway city. There are some restaurants that kindly offer their dishes packaged for take-out, but that is a whole different thing to a "take-away" - among other things, they cannot cater to the volume needed to make lower prices viable, and still keep their dining experience pleasant for their core customers.

Sounds like a market opportunity for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway doesn't have a curry culture like UK.
    Indian and Chinese are the most common takeaways in UK, in Galway it's Chinese and pizza. As Mary said, there is no takeaways, just real restaurants that also delivers. They still have all the restaurant costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Lapin wrote: »
    Not really a helpful answer to the thread title is it ?

I hope the irony of your post is not lost on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It could also depend on how they deliver, if they're on a bike they may have limited space. If they have room for one thing it doesn't matter to the delivery guy whether the food going into that space is worth €1 or €10 the spot itself has a value which adds to the cost..
    avfc1874 wrote: »
    like ben.schlomo pointed out Birmingham is not only a UK capitol but probably and international capitol of Indian food, a lot of the Indian dishes we know would have been invented there.
    The fact there's huge competition forces better food and service, there's also the fact they're run by Indians or at the very least people obsessed with good Indian food.

There's also the fact that al these foreign foods have been changed to suit what Irish people would actually eat. They're probably afraid if they start making more traditional Indian food Irish people will freak out and go running home for safe food like bacon and cabbage.

Anyone try the prepared indian dishes in Joyces? They have a look of homemade about them. See the deli dept right as you enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

newkie wrote: »
    Anyone try the prepared indian dishes in Joyces? They have a look of homemade about them. See the deli dept right as you enter.
    I've seen them delivered by an Indian woman and her son? so it's the real deal anyway. Have tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I bought a butter chicken a few months back, was quite tasty. They seemed to be sold without rice initially for 7 euro but then with? Anyway, it was good if a little overpriced.

swine wrote: »
    I bought a butter chicken a few months back, was quite tasty. They seemed to be sold without rice initially for 7 euro but then with? Anyway, it was good if a little overpriced.

Funny how people's perception of value changes when something is bought from a store. If it were restaurant quality (possibly better if homemade) it sounds like quite a value compared to the indian restaurant prices quoted in this thread.

Just last night I was with a large group in Massimos who each paid €15 for a burnt waffer of pizza. All I could think was I could get a Chicago Town in Dunnes for less than €5.

I'm tempting myself in to trying a couple of the of the choices from Joyces but if there is no nann bread what's the point? If I have to go to M&S for nann bread anyhow I'll probably end up just buying everything there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I'm tempting myself in to trying a couple of the of the choices from Joyces but if there is no nann bread what's the point? If I have to go to M&S for nann bread anyhow I'll probably end up just buying everything there.

Get the naan bread from an Indian restaurant. Genuine naan from a resturant beats store bought naan hands down, and is about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Just a quick look on JustEat (I know it can be slightly dearer), €20 for a curry (jalfrezi) and rice. That includes five quid delivery. Five quid, that's only a couple euro less than a taxi!

You're looking at around forty quid just to feed two people, and that's just one course and probably not even drinks. Insane.

They have to import their indian friends to work in the takeaways. Have to make the money back somehow :D.

Skip a restaurant.

Go the the kebab place beside kelly's their naan is amazing. Dunno what anything else is like but their naan is great, got the tip from a Pakistani cab driver a while back, made a murgh makhani not long ago and decided to use their naan with it as a trial, was delighted with the outcome, was pretty cheap too.

Same guy told me he will often buy the donar meat from another shop (either capitol or charcoal) and the naan from there and combine them himself at home.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I know the kebab place beside kelly's (best naan in galway, btw, hands down)
    Worst kebabs I've ever seen though :\

• Advertisement

Worst kebabs I've ever seen though :\

Yeah, wasn't brave enough to try one, just bought their naan a few times.

Advertisement