Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Indian takeways here so expensive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Right lads, who want's to go halves on the lease of an industrial unit with me, find some indian chefs, open a take away and watch the money roll in.

Charge €10 for a curry, bismati and naan and watch the money roll in.

Nobody?

ok :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

newkie wrote: »
    I'm tempting myself in to trying a couple of the of the choices from Joyces but if there is no nann bread what's the point? If I have to go to M&S for nann bread anyhow I'll probably end up just buying everything there.

Get the naan bread from an Indian restaurant. Genuine naan from a resturant beats store bought naan hands down, and is about the same price.
    This. Even when I cook myself I'll sometimes get naan from the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Seaneh wrote: »
    Right lads, who want's to go halves on the lease of an industrial unit with me, find some indian chefs, open a take away and watch the money roll in.

Charge €10 for a curry, bismati and naan and watch the money roll in.

Nobody?

ok :(
    Your business model is lacking in details, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

naan, roti and paratha are quite simple to make at home,
    for the price of one shop/take-away bought you can make a dozen at home

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your business model is lacking in details, I'm out.

Free chipati and saag for all investors.

• Advertisement

Shakti wrote: »

I can make about 15 loafs of bread for the same price as a loaf in a bakery but to be honest I couldn't be arsed, what's your point?

Like wise, when I was a chef I could make about 25 times the amount of puff pastry for the money we bought rolls of pre-made puff in at, but why ****ing bother when it's so much effort?

I don't have a tandoor in my kitchen and naan name in a normal oven isn't nearly as good.
    Just like I don't have stone pizza oven and while I can make a good base and sauce myself it won't be as good in my oven cooked on a lump of granite, so every now and then I'll buy one from Napoli in town because they can make a better pizza than I can.

I brew my own beer, but I still enjoy a nice pint in a pub.

And so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Seaneh wrote: »
    I can make about 15 loafs of bread for the same price as a loaf in a bakery but to be honest I couldn't be arsed, what's your point?

Like wise, when I was a chef I could make about 25 times the amount of puff pastry for the money we bought rolls of pre-made puff in at, but why ****ing bother when it's so much effort?

I don't have a tandoor in my kitchen and naan name in a normal oven isn't nearly as good.
    Just like I don't have stone pizza oven and while I can make a good base and sauce myself it won't be as good in my oven cooked on a lump of granite, so every now and then I'll buy one from Napoli in town because they can make a better pizza than I can.

I brew my own beer, but I still enjoy a nice pint in a pub.

And so forth.

my point is.............
    Shakti wrote: »

also you dont need a tandoor to make authentic naan same way you dont need a turf fire to boil the spuds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Alot of money to be saved if u shop around, Just eat have olives main courses at 15.50 to 18.50 and there all only €10 on whatsfordinner, also on kumars just eat charge for rice and chips with main courses, whats for dinner doesnt and they have a cheaper delivery, so for 2 main course ya save a fiver or in olives for 2 main courses ya could save 17 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Alot of money to be saved if u shop around, Just eat have olives main courses at 15.50 to 18.50 and there all only €10 on whatsfordinner, also on kumars just eat charge for rice and chips with main courses, whats for dinner doesnt and they have a cheaper delivery, so for 2 main course ya save a fiver or in olives for 2 main courses ya could save 17 euro

Never using Whatsfordinner again unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Is it the lack of an Indian population over here? Just wondering if the Southside of Dublin is any better pricewise, there's an area there that has been through several different ethnic populatons (used to be a big Jewish area definitely) over the last 100+ years & when I was in Dublin a couple of decades back the current population seemed to be largely Indian. So wondering if that means prices on takeaway food there reflective.
    Or if it is just a Republic wide high price thing.

I don't remember having had an Indian takeaway since i've been in this town , probably put off greatly by the prices.

Have noticed that there are a couple of Indian warehouse outlets for ingredients so presumably there must be some Indian population in this town. Do they have any outlets off the beaten track for takeaway food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Would love to see somebody set up a tandoor and do while you wait take out naan breads like the stalls cropping up in London these days. Think it only requires a limited amount of space, not sure how deep one of the ovens would be. Have been imagining them to be quite deep but may be just going by an image of a traditional tandoor pit oven I saw on tv years ago & the stall one only be 3-4 feet deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Stevolende wrote: »
    Is it the lack of an Indian population over here? Just wondering if the Southside of Dublin is any better pricewise, there's an area there that has been through several different ethnic populatons (used to be a big Jewish area definitely) over the last 100+ years & when I was in Dublin a couple of decades back the current population seemed to be largely Indian. So wondering if that means prices on takeaway food there reflective.
    Or if it is just a Republic wide high price thing.

I don't remember having had an Indian takeaway since i've been in this town , probably put off greatly by the prices.

Have noticed that there are a couple of Indian warehouse outlets for ingredients so presumably there must be some Indian population in this town. Do they have any outlets off the beaten track for takeaway food?
    My initial post was going to be about Dublin at last being cheaper for -something-. If you're ever up check out Mary st. Excellent restaurant there that does takeaway for about 6-7 inc rice or naan. Place always packed with Indians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hey guys, just looking at JustEat (thinking ahead for Friday night) and noticed Sahi Palace and Paprika are a bit more in line with Chinese takeaway prices (e.g. Chicken Tikka Masala for €8.95 and €10.25 respectively). Anyone have experience with either?

Paprika is decent, ate there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Having been born and bred in Birmingham I was pretty much spoilt for choice and value when it came to curries, and have paid mere pennies for some of the nicest curries ever there. Once had some work visitors walk out of a balti house in Birmingham when they saw how cheap it was (plus menus under clear perspex on table) thinking they were going to get poisoned, I stayed and had a fantastic feed. When I moved to Oslo I paid horrendously expensive prices for indian food that was suprisingly mediocre. Remember going for a sit-down for 2, having one starter and one main each and a bottle of house wine and paying the equivalent of over 100 EUR for the privilege (wine was no more than 30 EUR).

So I would say yes, Galway curries are on the pricier side, but it could be a lot lot worse.

Iain

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Hey guys,

I just wanna let ye know about a place that opened just before xmas, Its beside Laurel Park Stores/Shop.

Its an Indian takeaway but not really what we think of takeaways, as in you have to heat the food up when you get home. Its a husband and wife team, I think the wife does all the cooking fresh that day, and everything is cooked and served in a TV dinner style thingy that you just throw in the microwave.

I was at the shop before xmas and saw the guy and was curious, (cause I love curry) and asked for a menu, but the guy said they didn't have menus but then said hang on, and came out and gave me chicken tika with rice and some chicken drumsticks, I tried to give him money but he didnt want any. IMHO I thought it was lovely, so did everyone who tasted it. Now heres the great thing, €4.50 for veg or €6.50 for meat dishes, pretty cool since an indian is usually €10+

They also do cooking courses, I dont know details, just something on the window.

I dont have any connection with the place, just wanted to spread the word, ye can judge the place for yourselves.

If I'm passing I'll drop in and try and get more details and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

And for those who don't frequent Joyce's they now have a refrigerated prepared foods section to the immediate left of the entrance. Olive's seems to have a deal with them so there are both Indian and Thai choices. They are a fraction the cost of the takeaway version (I think €7.50 for a main with rice). They now seem to have fresh naan bread which makes this a contender over M&S indian in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Brum has about about 700 curry houses compared to Galways ten id guess!!

But Brum is a slightly larger Population than Galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

coleria wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I just wanna let ye know about a place that opened just before xmas, Its beside Laurel Park Stores/Shop.

Its an Indian takeaway but not really what we think of takeaways, as in you have to heat the food up when you get home. Its a husband and wife team, I think the wife does all the cooking fresh that day, and everything is cooked and served in a TV dinner style thingy that you just throw in the microwave.

I was at the shop before xmas and saw the guy and was curious, (cause I love curry) and asked for a menu, but the guy said they didn't have menus but then said hang on, and came out and gave me chicken tika with rice and some chicken drumsticks, I tried to give him money but he didnt want any. IMHO I thought it was lovely, so did everyone who tasted it. Now heres the great thing, €4.50 for veg or €6.50 for meat dishes, pretty cool since an indian is usually €10+

They also do cooking courses, I dont know details, just something on the window.

I dont have any connection with the place, just wanted to spread the word, ye can judge the place for yourselves.

If I'm passing I'll drop in and try and get more details and post.
    Wonder if its the same one sold in Supervalu Fr Griffin, its in takeaway plastic dishes with a yellow looking label if memory serves,doesnt look particularly appealing though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Keep meaning to try the Laurel Park place. Unfortunately for me 90% of the reason I get a takeaway is because it's delivered. If I could be arsed going out and collecting it then I may as well just cook myself something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey guys, just looking at JustEat (thinking ahead for Friday night) and noticed Sahi Palace and Paprika are a bit more in line with Chinese takeaway prices (e.g. Chicken Tikka Masala for €8.95 and €10.25 respectively). Anyone have experience with either?

Where are Paprika and Sahi Palace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kraggy wrote: »
    Where are Paprika and Sahi Palace?

Salthill and Terryland respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Wonder if its the same one sold in Supervalu Fr Griffin, its in takeaway plastic dishes with a yellow looking label if memory serves,doesnt look particularly appealing though.

I love Indian food, and I bought one of those meals in super value Oranmore it was pricey for the amount of food you get, but I could get over that if it was tasty; it wasn't tasty in wasn't nice at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

And for those who don't frequent Joyce's they now have a refrigerated prepared foods section to the immediate left of the entrance. Olive's seems to have a deal with them so there are both Indian and Thai choices. They are a fraction the cost of the takeaway version (I think €7.50 for a main with rice). They now seem to have fresh naan bread which makes this a contender over M&S indian in any case.

Where's the fresh naan? Same location? Do they have the option of buying just the main and no rice?

Advertisement