Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verbal Racist Attack in Ranelagh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it Twink?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Hootanany wrote: »
    why post it then.

Because some people consider mental illness a good deal funnier than, say cancer or multiple sclerosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Plenty of eccentrics in Ranelagh/Rathmines over the years, part of the furniture. If you live there and post a clip like that you don't belong there :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

100 percent a care in the community candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

hawkelady wrote: »
    She's obviously mentally ill and the best you can do is post a video of her going off on a mad one on boards.ie and want her reported to the guards for racism!!!!
    Grow a brain...
    This is bad taste
    If you want to help her bring her to a fcukin doctor.

I remember when i was working as a barman, a customer I thought I knew had a similar schizophrenic episode, it scared the **** outta me.

Its not like they got out of the car to batter her. They posted a video online asking for more information to give to the guards. Whats wrong with that? Given the cultural differences this incident could easily have been interpreted as a racist attack. Just because we have had experiences with the local loon doesn't mean everyone has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Joni23 wrote: »
    She's obviously mentally ill and the best you can do is post a video of her going off on a mad one on boards.ie and want her reported to the guards for racism!!!!
    Grow a brain...
    This is bad taste
    If you want to help her bring her to a fcukin doctor.

I remember when i was working as a barman, a customer I thought I knew had a similar schizophrenic episode, it scared the **** outta me.

Its not like they got out of the car to batter her. They posted a video online asking for more information to give to the guards. Whats wrong with that? Given the cultural differences this incident could easily have been interpreted as a racist attack. Just because we have had experiences with the local loon doesn't mean everyone has.

The best he can do is post a video of her on a public forum. If her relatives see this , bad taste no???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The poor girleen is distressed. Leave her alone. When you're not well all kinds of things come up from your unconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I honestly think that clip should be taken down. it is obvious the person is ill. To actually think about calling and wasting the guards time over this, and to post it up to effectively get a laugh/joke off people at someone who is clearly mentally ill seems to me to be juvenile, conceited and absoloutley pointless. I am sure OP if this was one of your relatives youd be delighted at this?

Joni23 wrote: »
    Its not like they got out of the car to batter her. They posted a video online asking for more information to give to the guards. Whats wrong with that?
    Imagine you saw someone posting a video of a human being with any other type of disability or illness apart from mental illness, doing something they could scarcely control.

How acceptable would it seem to you?

Even if the OP claims he didn't know she was unwell (which I find hard to credit), surely enough people from Dublin 6 have now corroborated this; the video is still up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

The best he can do is post a video of her on a public forum. If her relatives see this , bad taste no???

If her relatives see it then shame on them for not getting her the help she needs!!!!!!

Might be the kick up the arse they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

Are you going to take the video down now OP? Now that you have found it is someone who is known to have mental problems I think you at least owe her that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How's about if you get what you came here for, her name/details, you make an effort to try get her some help or at the very least a nice gift. To make up for insulting her like?

I'd certainly call the HSE but after that I don't think theres much more I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I can understand ops anger towards her, and the people on the receiving end of the abuse, they more than likely just thought she was an ignorant racist, personally though I think it's definitely a case of mental illness, maybe her family have tried in vain to get her proper help.. Its not as easy as bringing her to the doctor, she would need to give some sort of cooperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I can understand ops anger towards her, and the people on the receiving end of the abuse, they more than likely just thought she was an ignorant racist, personally though I think it's definitely a case of mental illness, maybe her family have tried in vain to get her proper help.. Its not as easy as bringing her to the doctor, she would need to give some sort of cooperation.

As far as Im aware nothing can be done to help her unless she either seeks help herself, or its proved she's not in sound mind.

I have been drinking alcohol and could be talking through my arse though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I used to see this woman in Dundrum, she used to wear huge headphones and a fishnet top with nothing underneath....

So did you ever try it on with her? Even after a few drinks like. Or even think about it? You dirtbag, you did!

• Advertisement

one thing that definately isnt helping her is having her face and symptoms of her illness shown to thousands of people who use boards.ie.

If they saw it maybe they would do something about it, they should have a long time ago. Regardless of what happens and as cruel as it might sound I think she needs to end up in a cell of some sort. If she is found to be sane a jail cell, if she is found to be insane a padded cell. Its not safe to have her outside either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's funny if you think they're both on the phone to each other.

later12 wrote: »
    Imagine you saw someone posting a video of a human being with any other type of disability or illness apart from mental illness, doing something they could scarcely control.

Even if the OP claims he didn't know she was unwell (which I find hard to credit), surely enough people from Dublin 6 have now corroborated this; the video is still up.

True, i was just pointing out I can see the op's side. I don't believe he intended to insult or mock the person. Taking it down would probably be a good idea.

GarIT wrote: »
    If they saw it maybe they would do something about it, they should have a long time ago. Regardless of what happens and as cruel as it might sound I think she needs to end up in a cell of some sort. If she is found to be sane a jail cell, if she is found to be insane a padded cell. Its not safe to have her outside either way.

Yep, video her, then put her up against a wall, and have them take her away.

and keep a video of her that now, over 400 people have looked at.

nice one. Your concern is touching

• Advertisement

What do you mean it's not safe? I already said I walked her to her front door one time after she was upsetting herself on Rathmines Road. She doesn't seem dangerous, she seems ill. Lots of people here have said they have seen her, nobody has seen her acting violently.

Why don't you show this lady and her illness some dignity and take this ridiculous invasion of her privacy off the OP.

dharma200 wrote: »
    To post it up to effectively get a laugh/joke off people at someone who is clearly mentally ill seems to me to be juvenile, conceited and absoloutley pointless. I am sure OP if this was one of your relatives youd be delighted at this?

I was actually looking to find out what to do or for information. If it was one of my relatives I would be ashamed that I hadn't done something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Regardless of what happens and as cruel as it might sound I think she needs to end up in a cell of some sort. If she is found to be sane a jail cell, if she is found to be insane a padded cell. Its not safe to have her outside either way.

Did you get all your knowledge from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or are you just extremely ignorant about mental health practice and law? Or just ignorant in general. You certainly have no real experience of people with mental health issues.

Lock 'insane' people in padded cells. Very 1950s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

GarIT, take it down please. you know the context of her vileness. no need to leave this thread running. god help her.

I was actually looking to find out what to do or for information. If it was one of my relatives I would be ashamed that I hadn't done something.

Im sure you would be delighted that over 400 people would have by now seen your relative, in the piss take after hours forum on the largets forum website in ireland, with people claiming to personally know the person, know where they live work background. i am sure your relative would be ever so grateful for that type of help, get a grip man and take the clip down.

There are hundreds if not more of such videos on youtube, there are hundreds of thousands on the internet in general. The video was filmed in public, I don't see anything wrong with it and maybe it will encourage someone to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

She's been around for years. You have been told by many who have seen her that she isn't sane. The guards know her.

Imagine this for instance.... someone sees the video you have posted on here. After a few pints with friends some night they see her out and about and decide to have a bit of drunken fun. They tell her 'ah I seen you in a video up on the internet'
    How do you think a mentally ill person would deal with that info, when they get home a run it over in their mind. I'm on the internet???

Take the fcukin thing down

your concern is touching. of course your clip will get the woman the help she needs. give yourself a little pat on the shoulders for being such a good samritan, she has went from a rcist who needs locked up, to now needing help from everyone who witnesses the youtube video. My you are a knight in shining armour. Sleep sound, and I do hope your own relatives never suffer the indignity of mental illness, and if they do they come accross such a good samaritan as yourself!!! :)

There are hundreds if not more of such videos on youtube, there are hundreds of thousands on the internet in general. The video was filmed in public, I don't see anything wrong with it and maybe it will encourage someone to do something.

You're trying to make an example of someone who is mentally ill to push your own agenda. Just as well it backfired and showed you up as totally ignorant.

dharma200 wrote: »
    your concern is touching. of course your clip will get the woman the help she needs. give yourself a little pat on the shoulders for being such a good samritan, she has went from a rcist who needs locked up, to now needing help from everyone who witnesses the youtube video. My you are a knight in shining armour. Sleep sound, and I do hope your own relatives never suffer the indignity of mental illness, and if they do they come accross such a good samaritan as yourself!!! :)

I never claimed to be great or anything, all I said was originally I honestly thought she was just a rascist, I work with the man in the video and have seen him getting similar abuse in work before. Then it turns out shes mental and some people expect me to play the hero. Then after that someone says they have talked to her and that she's perfectly sane. I dont know what to be thinking. Of course there was an element of humor involved not with the woman dircetly but with what shes saying but that wasn't the intention of posting it.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    You're trying to make an example of someone who is mentally ill to push your own agenda. Just as well it backfired and showed you up as totally ignorant.

What agenda did I try to push? Was I ignorant of her being apparently mentally ill? Yes I was, I'm not a doctor or someone that can just tell things about someone when I don't know them.

• She's obviously not 'perfectly sane'. I don't know why anyone would even bother taking a video and putting it online, she's clearly mentally ill and you get people like that everywhere. I was once waiting for a bus in Madrid and some loon started shouting at me, calling me a gypo and telling me to go back to Seville. I'm Irish. It's a non story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Aquila wrote: »
    She is the living embodiment of The Cat Lady on gear

Fyp.

What agenda did I try to push? Was I ignorant of her being apparently mentally ill? Yes I was, I'm not a doctor or someone that can just tell things about someone when I don't know them.

WTF? It's obvious to everyone else here. Next time keep your phone in your pocket and maybe you won't come off as such an monumental idiot. There are people (including me) who have friends and family members with mental health issues and would prefer if you didn't scrabble desperately for Youtube hits this way. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

In fairness the video has been taken down, I dont believe it was put up with the knowledge she's not well..
    Take for instance, the woman on the train in London, she WAS vile and ignorant, its clearly just a case of not knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In fairness, you don't need to be a doctor to realise she's not right in the head. Hopefully you never get gangrene of the penis, the girlfriend will see and smell it, puke and ask if there's something wrong. You'll say "how should I know, I'm not a doctor"

OK, extreme example maybe

Confab wrote: »
    WTF? It's obvious to everyone else here. Next time keep your phone in your pocket and maybe you won't come off as such an monumental idiot. There are people (including me) who have friends and family members with mental health issues and would prefer if you didn't scrabble desperately for Youtube hits this way. End of story.

What is obvious because I'm just not seeing it? I didn't record it but I probably would have if I was there, what if he had of been physically attacked, was it not a good idea to get it on video?

People record things that happen in public, it is perfectly legal and can't be stopped. Try asking a journalist to get rid of a picture they have taken and they wont.

What is obvious because I'm just not seeing it? I didn't record it but I probably would have if I was there, what if he had of been physically attacked, was it not a good idea to get it on video?
    The fact that they're there sitting in the car, with the window down, recording this woman on their phone (and not calling the police with it instead), suggests that a physical attack was not the first thing on their mind.

YouTube was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Lay off the OP. I don't see what was done to provoke so much vitriolic ganging up.

It wasn't clearly obvious to me that the woman was mentally ill. In fact I've seen racist attacks by 'sane' people that come across as even more frantic and incoherent as that. How was the OP to know that the woman was known in the area for being mentally unwell. And if that's true, why are they being abused when this woman is being allowed to go untreated and unreported to any doctor, seeing as her illness is supposedly common knowledge.

Cool it. The rabid squawking of some posters in this thread has been even more deranged than the lady in that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

In fairness the video has been taken down, I dont believe it was put up with the knowledge she's not well..
    Take for instance, the woman on the train in London, she WAS vile and ignorant, its clearly just a case of not knowing.

No it hasn't, it's still on you tube and indeed is still quoted in at least one reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Lay off the OP. I don't see what was done to provoke so much vitriolic ganging up.

It wasn't clearly obvious to me that the woman was mentally ill. In fact I've seen racist attacks by 'sane' people that come across as even more frantic and incoherent as that. How was the OP to know that the woman was known in the area for being mentally unwell. And if that's true, why are they being abused when this woman is being allowed to go untreated and unreported to any doctor, seeing as her illness is supposedly common knowledge.

Cool it. The rabid squawking of some posters in this thread has been even more deranged than the lady in that video.

Not clearly obvious? Even with the growling and "ya ta ta"? It's a disgrace that this video is still up. It's clear to any reasonable person that she is mentally ill and the op and his friends are taking the piss out of her. They should be ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Link please :)

Sykk wrote: »
    Link please :)

I'm not falling for that.:D

Taco Chips wrote: »

It wasn't clearly obvious to me that the woman was mentally ill.

I find that hard to believe. Nevertheless, while people might have been more accepting of that in the beginning of the thread, it was quickly corroborated by residents and former residents of Rathmines that she is. It was then, with the OP still defending the video ("it might shame her family into helping" - or words to that effect) that I think people got particularly exasperated.

You can understand the anger, surely? These people are very vulnerable and often isolated; making a spectacle of them during their illness is a really tremendous lapse of judgement imo.

Im going to go over and reply to all the posts I missed in a minute but I have two things to say first. I have seen politicians that aren't happy with budget cuts or household charges make less sense than that and I have occasionally seen anti-abortion Christians argue their point in exactly the same manner as that woman.

I also want to say that these are company cars and we have been told to get pictures or video evidence of any incidents involving the cars in case it is needed in court.

• Advertisement

Im going to go over and reply to all the posts I missed in a minute but I have two things to say first. I have seen politicians that aren't happy with budget cuts or household charges make less sense than that and I have occasionally seen anti-abortion Christians argue their point in exactly the same manner as that woman.

I also want to say that these are company cars and we have been told to get pictures or video evidence of any incidents involving the cars in case it is needed in court.

Where you told to post them on youtube? Where you told to take the little dignity this woman has left? Don't make a fool of yourself by claiming you couldn't tell she was mentally ill.

Ah come off it Garit.

So the car was the main concern?

why did they stay there with the window pulled down instead of turning the key and moving said company car?

By the way, disabling ratings and premoderating comments for the video? Poor. I've flagged it as targeting the vulnerable. Hopefully others will too.

The fact that they're there sitting in the car, with the window down, recording this woman on their phone (and not calling the police with it instead), suggests that a physical attack was not the first thing on their mind.

YouTube was.

My colleague had to take a call with an important business partner, he didn't really have a choice. He could have rolled the windows up and possibly caused more trouble but he decided the best think to do was to act calmly and to move away as quick as possible. Some people just don't have time to wait for the Gardaí to come around and then wait while its sorted out. The passenger decided to record it which I think was the right thing to do.

Maybe you have to be forigen to realise it but racist attacks do happen that are just like this even in cases where there is no mental illness involved.

It wasn't the driver's, passenger's or even my idea to put the video on youtube or boards. I have no idea what the passenger was thinking at the time I haven't talked to her.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    No it hasn't, it's still on you tube and indeed is still quoted in at least one reply

I've been asked to keep it on youtube and I can't edit replies. I've taken it out of the OP though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement