Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verbal Racist Attack in Ranelagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I think it could be a case of the straw that broke the camels back, maybe it wasnt the first time they were racially abused, and if so why should they of drove off? , They obviously had no idea she was mentally ill, the video shouldnt be up I agree, but I genuinely believe they thought she was just a nasty person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

GarIT wrote: »
    My colleague had to take a call with an important business partner, he didn't really have a choice. He could have rolled the windows up and possibly caused more trouble but he decided the best think to do was to act calmly and to move away as quick as possible. Some people just don't have time to wait for the Gardaí to come around and then wait while its sorted out. The passenger decided to record it which I think was the right thing to do.

Maybe you have to be forigen to realise it but racist attacks do happen that are just like this even in cases where there is no mental illness involved.

It wasn't the driver's, passenger's or even my idea to put the video on youtube or boards. I have no idea what the passenger was thinking at the time I haven't talked to her.

It's obviously your account. The name is GarethRonan. unless your female colleague has a masculine name which coincidentally corresponds to your username on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Whole load of high horses in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MagicSean wrote: »
    Where you told to post them on youtube? Where you told to take the little dignity this woman has left? Don't make a fool of yourself by claiming you couldn't tell she was mentally ill.

I was, nothing to do with the company though. I wasn't told to take her dignity, I was told to try to find out who it was. You would be making a fool of yourself by thinking that everone has the same ability to make observations based on someones behaviour as you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My colleague had to take a call with an important business partner...Some people just don't have time to wait for the Gardaí to come around
    O! Such confluence of fate!

So under orders from the company to record any potential damage to company cars, & on a phone call of such tremendous importance that prevented him from moving said company car to a place of perceived safety yet not having time to wait around for the Gardai (Garda station is 3 minutes away) there was... eh, nothing to do but record the woman and broadcast her face on youtube & boards.ie?
    It wasn't the driver's, passenger's or even my idea to put the video on youtube or boards.

What? you did post the video here; and someone with your name also posted it on youtube.

later12 wrote: »
    Ah come off it Garit.

So the car was the main concern?

why did they stay there with the window pulled down instead of turning the key and moving said company car?

I honestly don't know, its not something that comes up often.

He stayed there because he had to take an important call with a business partner. Im sure you are aware that it is illegal to drive while on the phone, you will see in the video he did drive away as soon as he was off the phone.

I was, nothing to do with the company though. I wasn't told to take her dignity, I was told to try to find out who it was. You would be making a fool of yourself by thinking that everone has the same ability to make observations based on someones behaviour as you have.

So take it down. You've been told she's mentally ill. It's your account. Nobody made you put it up. There is no reason to keep it up.

By the way, disabling ratings and premoderating comments for the video? Poor. I've flagged it as targeting the vulnerable. Hopefully others will too.

I haven't disabled ratings, knowingly anyway, I'll have a look at it now. I always premoderate comments everywhere.

It's obviously your account. The name is GarethRonan. unless your female colleague has a masculine name which coincidentally corresponds to your username on boards.

I know its my account but it was somebody we work with that said to put it on youtube, out of the three of us I was the only one with a youtube account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I know its my account but it was somebody we work with that said to put it on youtube, out of the three of us I was the only one with a youtube account.

He made you do it? Great defense...

• Advertisement

Oh right, gmail accounts, yeah who has them?

Why would they even be commanding you to put it on youtube?
    No damage was done to anyone's car. This story is getting ridiculous.

Oh right, gmail accounts, yeah who has them?

Why would they even be commanding you to put it on youtube?

I suppose someone who doesn't have 5 business email addresses to manage. Maybe they do have gmail accounts but they don't use them for youtube.

Because we wanted to find out who it was to take it to the gardaí and try to have the woman charged which is still a possiblilty.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    He made you do it? Great defense...

Nobody made me do anything, I was asked to, agreed with the idea and did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lay off the OP. He knew nothing of the woman or her history of mental illness. He was in a car when some woman started giving ridiculous racial abuse to a complete stranger. Since he knew nothing of her history, he knew nothing of the context.

If I wandered up to any of you in the street and started verbally abusing you, half of you probably wouldn't react half as well as the guy in the guy in the video. In fact, I'd probably get a kicking from a large proportion of the population.

There's another thread on an ultra-catholic woman at the moment. I'm sure a few people would describe her as a crazy nutjob. Was she mentally ill? Possibly... but I don't remember anyone applying that label and it seems to be a common consensus that she was "crazy" but not in the way the word is applied to mentally ill people. But either way, she was definitely crazy. And even if she wasn't not mentally ill, I think referring to a person who supported divorce as a wife swapping sodomite is on par with the abuse the guy in the car got. It's just as irrational and just as hateful.

The OP should not be blamed because he thought a woman who racially abused a friend was crazy in the crazy racist way rather than the mentally ill manner.

I'm irish but I don't look or sound it and I've been verbally abused by many people. Racism in all it's forms is rife in this country. And although in this case, it was a woman who was a complete nutjob, it's very easy to believe that she's just crazy in a different way without any background information.

For the high horse take it down people did you think the same thing when the pictures of Rhianna or Miley Cyrus or the other one (Hutchinson I think her second name was) went up online, none of them wanted their pictures on the internet but they stayed up.

If people are really concerned why don't they have the same problem with this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEz5GfZUnBU

Just for a small bit of Irony the guy in the video considers himself somewhat Irish and as far as I'm aware is an Irish citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Who told you to put it on You Tube?

Who do you work for?

Grayson wrote: »
    Lay off the OP. He knew nothing of the woman or her history of mental illness. He was in a car when some woman started giving ridiculous racial abuse to a complete stranger. Since he knew nothing of her history, he knew nothing of the context.

If I wandered up to any of you in the street and started verbally abusing you, half of you probably wouldn't react half as well as the guy in the guy in the video. In fact, I'd probably get a kicking from a large proportion of the population.

There's another thread on an ultra-catholic woman at the moment. I'm sure a few people would describe her as a crazy nutjob. Was she mentally ill? Possibly... but I don't remember anyone applying that label and it seems to be a common consensus that she was "crazy" but not in the way the word is applied to mentally ill people. But either way, she was definitely crazy. And even if she wasn't not mentally ill, I think referring to a person who supported divorce as a wife swapping sodomite is on par with the abuse the guy in the car got. It's just as irrational and just as hateful.

The OP should not be blamed because he thought a woman who racially abused a friend was crazy in the crazy racist way rather than the mentally ill manner.

I'm irish but I don't look or sound it and I've been verbally abused by many people. Racism in all it's forms is rife in this country. And although in this case, it was a woman who was a complete nutjob, it's very easy to believe that she's just crazy in a different way without any background information.

He didn't know. He does now. But he still won't remove it. Who knows why.
    For the high horse take it down people did you think the same thing when the pictures of Rhianna or Miley Cyrus or the other one Hutchinson I think her second name was, none of them wanted their pictures on the internet but they stayed up.

Just for a small bit of Irony the guy in the video considers himself somewhat Irish and as far as I'm aware is an Irish citizen.

Who cares? What have Miley Cyrus or those other losers got to do with you putting a video of a mentally ill person on youtube?

I suppose someone who doesn't have 5 business email addresses to manage. Maybe they do have gmail accounts but they don't use them for youtube.

Because we wanted to find out who it was to take it to the gardaí and try to have the woman charged which is still a possiblilty.

No it isn't. It's been explained to you. If this was really your intention you would have gone to the Gardaí first and they would have told you they know who she is and that she is mentally ill.

What agenda did I try to push? Was I ignorant of her being apparently mentally ill? Yes I was, I'm not a doctor or someone that can just tell things about someone when I don't know them.

Not according to the comment on your You Tube account where you said she was crazy.

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Who told you to put it on You Tube?

Who do you work for?

Im not going to post the details of personal conversations. Who I used to work for is irrelevant also.

try to have the woman charged which is still a possiblilty.
    Charged with what?

I would consider calling the Gardai if I saw her in this sort of state again; not to have her charged, but to get her some help. Do you just not believe all of the people who are saying she is mentally unwell, or what? She's well known in Rathmines.
    For the high horse take it down people did you think the same thing when the pictures of Rhianna or Miley Cyrus or the other one Hutchinson I think her second name was[/url]
    I have no idea who all but one of those people are; if someone is ill (with any ailment) then videos of them in a state of vulnerability, where they might be open to ridicule or shame should not be broadcast. That's a fairly uncontroversial point, I should think.

If we're just on our high horse, why did you take the video down on boards? If you were right, why not keep it up?

I think you know you've made a mistake, surely you don't think that exposing someone so ill to insensitive internet commentary is an OK thing to do on a Thursday evening?

Who cares? What have Miley Cyrus or those other losers got to do with you putting a video of a mentally ill person on youtube?

Because a journalist would never remove material they took. Currently weather she has a mental illness or not is just hearsay, people can act crazy without being mentally ill.

Grayson wrote: »
    Lay off the OP. He knew nothing of the woman or her history of mental illness.
    Sceptical as you'd have to be, I think most people would accept that, or at least park it there.

The fact is that many pages later, the video is still on youtube. The OP knows of this lady's local reputation by now, yet he's still insisting that the video remains up.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Call me crazy here
    But does she should like micheal noonan ?

Im not going to post the details of personal conversations. Who I used to work for is irrelevant also.

Fair enough.

Who are these people then?

• Advertisement

Not according to the comment on your You Tube account where you said she was crazy.

Theres a difference between mental illness and being crazy.

There are several politicians and religous people that I would consider crazy without being mentally ill, Bin Laden is a good example.

Because a journalist would never remove material they took. Currently weather she has a mental illness or not is just hearsay, people can act crazy without being mentally ill.

Are you comparing your abuse of this woman to journalism?

Charged with what?

I would consider calling the Gardai if I saw her in this sort of state again; not to have her charged, but to get her some help. Do you just not believe all of the people who are saying she is mentally unwell, or what? She's well known in Rathmines.

I have no idea who all but one of those people are; if someone is ill (with any ailment) then videos of them in a state of vulnerability, where they might be open to ridicule or shame should not be broadcast. That's a fairly uncontroversial point, I should think.

If we're just on our high horse, why did you take the video down on boards? If you were right, why not keep it up?

I think you know you've made a mistake, surely you don't think that exposing someone so ill to insensitive internet commentary is an OK thing to do on a Thursday evening?

Making a clearly racist attack.

Nobody here has seen a written report saying she is mental.

I would agree with you but I still have no idea what the actual situation is with her.

I took it off boards because I didn't have the desired result, nobody came accross with anoy information or any viable solution. The video also clearly annoyed some people which is not what was intended.

Thats why I took the video off boards but I still think there are things that are being said that are either unfair or wrong.

Sceptical as you'd have to be, I think most people would accept that, or at least park it there.

The fact is that many pages later, the video is still on youtube. The OP knows of this lady's local reputation by now, yet he's still insisting that the video remains up.

I still don't know what to be doing, the woman needs to either be charged for a clear racist attack or be taken off the streets becuase she is ill.

Making a clearly racist attack.

Nobody here has seen a written report saying she is mental.

I would agree with you but I still have no idea what the actual situation is with her.

She is well known. Apart from the fact that it would be pretty clear to most people that she is unwell from the OP, I and others have said we've seen her in Rathmines in a very upset, agitated and a clearly unwell state of mind. Why would everyone who has said this randomly decide to invent our observations of her?

Seriously, you think it's acceptable to broadcast videos of visibly unwell individuals unless you see a doctor's certificate?
    I still don't know what to be doing, the woman needs to either be charged for a clear racist attack or be taken off the streets becuase she is ill.

What have either of those things got to do with youtube?

Go to the Guards, they know her.

• Advertisement

Are you comparing your abuse of this woman to journalism?

Yes, I have found journalists to be a lot worse at times.

Fair enough.

Why is that of any concern to you?

Whatever problem you have with me there is no reason to bring anyone else into it.

Fair enough.

If that's the OP's family or anything like that, it's below the belt. They weren't involved in this. The crazy woman is the one who went nuts at someone. The OP filmed it. They're the two people involved (besides the other occupants in that car.

Posting up stuff about the OP's family is so ****ing low. You should be disgusted with yourself.

Why does she need to be taken off the streets? The two people in the car were clearly having a good laugh about it.

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

Ok if you think they are the only two choices here is what you do. Go down to Rathmines Garda station, you don't need her name they know this woman, show them the video and tell them that she is either to be charged or taken of the streets.

Let us know how you get on.

Im not going to post the details of personal conversations.

yet you see nothing wrong with posting a video of someone who clearly has personal problems.....

Do the right thing, and remove it Op.

She is well known. Apart from the fact that it would be pretty clear to most people that she is unwell from the OP, I and others have said we've seen her in Rathmines in a very upset, agitated and a clearly unwell state of mind. Why would everyone who has said this randomly decide to invent our observations of her?

Seriously, you think it's acceptable to broadcast videos of visibly unwell individuals unless you see a doctor's certificate?

What have either of those things got to do with youtube?

Go to the Guards, they know her.

The is a lot worse on the internet and nobody seems to care about it, if you look you can find a video of a guy being killed by being beaten with hammers.

I think its acceptable to look for information/advice, but seeing as I'm clearly not going to get and the videos have been removed.

Glad you removed them OP. Right thing to do.

The is a lot worse on the internet and nobody seems to care about it, if you look you can find a video of a guy being killed by being beaten with hammers.

I think its acceptable to look for information/advice, but seeing as I'm clearly not going to get and the videos have been removed.

You go t it above. Bring it to the Gardaí and tell them of your concerns.

Why does she need to be taken off the streets? The two people in the car were clearly having a good laugh about it.

And now you're just trolling. by that definition I should be able to spew any amount of racial abuse so long as it's funny. Maybe I should wear a clown costume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't see the problem with the video on youtube. I wouldn't remove it, probably get rid of the word "racist" out of the title.
    Where you told to post them on youtube? Where you told to take the little dignity this woman has left? Don't make a fool of yourself by claiming you couldn't tell she was mentally ill.

Lets be honest here. Are you truely worried about this womans dignity? Some stranger that goes around regularly with her tits out and shouts abuse at everyone? Will she somehow lose any dignity she has left if she sees the video on youtube? Seems to me you don't, you just want to have a go at someone. Video was removed from the op, end of problem.

Because if I was in the car there is a chance I would have hoped out and given her a box. I know plenty of people that have a shorter fuse than the guy in the video.

It could all be an act that she is doing for attention or something and nobody knows what is going on in her life. If she isn't mentally ill she needs to be charged for the hateful and racist comments she made, if she is she needs a lot of help.

The is a lot worse on the internet
    Ah here, I'm off down to the local nursing home to stick up some videos of the residents' alzheimers and dementia. Shure what harm? There's worse on the internet.

Go to the Guards if you're concerned in future.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with the video on youtube. I wouldn't remove it, probably get rid of the word "racist" out of the title.

Lets be honest here. Are you truely worried about this womans dignity? Some stranger that goes around regularly with her tits out and shouts abuse at everyone? Will she somehow lose any dignity she has left if she sees the video on youtube? Seems to me you don't, you just want to have a go at someone. Video was removed from the op, end of problem.

I myself can see a problem with the video, the main one being that some people think it was posted for a joke. I'm not particularly concerned for anyones diginty but I do feel theres a problem here which I wrongly thought could be helped by boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jake1 wrote: »
    yet you see nothing wrong with posting a video of someone who clearly has personal problems.....

Do the right thing, and remove it Op.

The problems aren't personal when you go around a public street shouting abuse at strangers. Personal problems is when Mr. Flop pays you a visit and, only your wife/girlfriend and doctor know about it. When you go around the streets shouting to the world that you can't bet a boner, then it's no longer personal.

Just noticed, my 2 analogies are dick related.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The problems aren't personal when you go around a public street shouting abuse at strangers. Personal problems is when Mr. Flop pays you a visit and, only your wife/girlfriend and doctor know about it. When you go around the streets shouting to the world that you can't bet a boner, then it's no longer personal.

Just noticed, my 2 analogies are dick related.

Are you related to anyone who has, or had, dementia/Alzheimers?
    Known anyone with one of these conditions who did bizarre things in public?

Because I am. I wouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed for them though, because I'd presume most people would understand that there are individuals out there who are not always in control of their neurological physiology. Most people shrug that off, or they might show concern.

But for someone to post a video of such a person on youtube, and refuse to take it down without a 'written report' for 10 pages, and at one point defends his actions as shaming her family into helping, is an invasion of the dignity of a person who appears mentally ill.

Anyway, videos are down now.

Are you related to anyone who has, or had, dementia/Alzheimers?
    Known anyone with one of these conditions who did bizarre things in public?

Because I am. I wouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed for them though, because I'd presume most people would understand that there are individuals out there who are not always in control of their neurological physiology. Most people shrug that off, or they might show concern.

But for someone to post a video of such a person on youtube, and refuse to take it down without a 'written report' for 10 pages, and at one point defends his actions as shaming her family into helping, is an invasion of the dignity of a person who appears mentally ill.

Anyway, videos are down now.

I think I was right to do what I did, I hoped in vain that the internet could help solve an issue which will not just disappear because a video has. Eventually she will hurt someone or someone will hurt her. I do think her family if she has anything should be doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Put the video back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The woman is a nut job but also something of a character in the area - crying '' Racism '' shows just how thin-skinned and PC some people are.
    Leave her be........

• Advertisement

I think I was right to do what I did, I hoped in vain that the internet could help solve an issue.........................
    Oh but we can help. Just ask for this.

http://www.dublinbynumbers.com/areas/garda-stations/dublin-6/rathmines

Advertisement