Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Verbal Racist Attack in Ranelagh

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

later12 wrote: »

I've gone to the gardaí before with CCTV and they basically said, if you don't know who the person is we can't help at all, we will keep a copy of the CCTV, bye. That's what it was posted on the internet to either look for a name or for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I didnt see the video , tried looking but no sign , but here we are again people jumping to the racism card straight off the bat without any fact or reference , seriously when is this racism row ever gonna get old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

GarIT wrote: »
    I've gone to the gardaí before with CCTV and they basically said, if you don't know who the person is we can't help at all, we will keep a copy of the CCTV, bye. That's what it was posted on the internet to either look for a name or for information.
    But you didn't even try this time?
    Even when people have told you she's known in the area & that the Gardai in Rathmines know her?
    You're going to ask the Gardai there to help her now, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I think I was right to do what I did, I hoped in vain that the internet could help solve an issue which will not just disappear because a video has. Eventually she will hurt someone or someone will hurt her. I do think her family if she has anything should be doing something.

How do you know they aren't doing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But you didn't even try this time?
    Even when people have told you she's known in the area & that the Gardai in Rathmines know her?
    You're going to ask the Gardai there to help her now, are you?

I obviously didn't know that when I posed it. I think so something needs to be done.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    How do you know they aren't doing something?

If they are they arent doing a good job of it.

• Advertisement

I obviously didn't know that when I posed it. I think so something needs to be done.

If they are they arent doing a good job of it.

Welcome to ireland, where mental health services are third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

There's loads of nut jobs in Rathmines. There's one fella who roots through bins for cans and bottles and randomly screams "POLISH! POOOLISH!" into peoples faces when he walks past them. Hilarious to see people jump out of their skins when he does it. He's completely harmless though, certainly not worth going to the guards over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

MagicSean wrote: »
    Welcome to ireland, where mental health services are third world.

Just curious sean do you work in the mental health sector or are you just making random comments, my great aunt suffers from dementia one day lucid next day not and she receives the highest level of care. Nothing third world about it, the help is there for people with any dimished capacity

war_child wrote: »
    Just curious sean do you work in the mental health sector or are you just making random comments, my great aunt suffers from dementia one day lucid next day not and she receives the highest level of care. Nothing third world about it, the help is there for people with any dimished capacity

Is she an outpatient or in permanent care? If she is an outpatient I would be very surprised. The facilities are scarce and the staff are too few.

war_child wrote: »
    People have had varying experiences, like with any service.

I think the general feeling, based only anecdotally, is that outpatient services are particularly poor, especially in terms of psychotic illnesses or depression.

The Mental Health Commission's Reports can be particularly interesting in terms of establishing qualitative information on the various clinical services, and although in parts it is based on unreliable self reporting, it does show up some pretty worrying features like children being kept on adult psychiatric wards.

That's certainly not a feature of advanced health infrastructure, in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Can I just ask why people on this thread are so doggedly determined to continue nagging the OP and refusing to believe his motives? Everything that he says is being questioned and attacked. Whats so special about this incident. There are thousands upon thousands of similar clips on the internet and even more that are ten times worse.

If some stranger on the street came up and started abusing me in that way my first thought wouldn't be "Oh she's mentally ill" I'd be thinking, "Get this bitch away, how dare she speak to me like this".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

What do you mean it's not safe? I already said I walked her to her front door one time after she was upsetting herself on Rathmines Road. She doesn't seem dangerous, she seems ill. Lots of people here have said they have seen her, nobody has seen her acting violently.

Why don't you show this lady and her illness some dignity and take this ridiculous invasion of her privacy off the OP.
    apologies for focusing on a side point but please offer some of that dignity and mutual respect for this lady,to those 'mongos' as they havent done anything to deserve the insulting on here either-
    The moon unit sorority; are they like mongos?

Most mental or intellectual ailments have names, Nodin.
    yeah conditions do have names but they arent called mongos-a highly outdated and insulting,dehumanising term to people with down syndrome.
    have been educated, and living with DS kids and adults for most of life-they are the easiest group of people to live with out of anyone,are far more inteligent than people give them credit for and they have a very common trait of putting others before themselves,they certainly dont deserve a label which removes them of dignity and humanity.

as for original topic,its safer to assume she obviously does have something 'wrong' but as to what we cannot judge without knowing her.
    she coud be drunk for all we know,mum gets exactly like that when she is drunk; she actualy is racist but hides it when sober,the drink makes her bring it out like a raving lunatic,and its not necessarily something woud smell on her either.

if she did have mental health problems; its possible her family have been doing something but the lady refuses help or may not have any around her.

Scruffles wrote: »
    apologies for focusing on a side point but please offer some of that dignity and mutual respect for this lady,to those 'mongos' as they havent done anything to deserve the insulting on here either-

yeah conditions do have names but they arent called mongos-a highly outdated and insulting,dehumanising term to people with down syndrome.
    have been educated, and living with DS kids and adults for most of life-they are the easiest group of people to live with out of anyone,are far more inteligent than people give them credit for and they have a very common trait of putting others before themselves,they certainly dont deserve a label which removes them of dignity and humanity.

as for original topic,its safer to assume she obviously does have something 'wrong' but as to what we cannot judge without knowing her.
    she coud be drunk for all we know,mum gets exactly like that when she is drunk; she actualy is racist but hides it when sober,the drink makes her bring it out like a raving lunatic,and its not necessarily something woud smell on her either.

if she did have mental health problems; its possible her family have been doing something but the lady refuses help or may not have any around her.

The reference to mongos was deliberate: mongo is an unacceptable term covering a medical disorder; it should be no more unacceptable than the references to nutjobs, loonies and members of the moon sorority when pertaining to individuals with a different type of medical disorder.

Nobody thinks Mongo is an acceptable term here; but some people think that derogatory references to mental illness are. That was the point.

Advertisement