Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Tips: Travel on boat and hotel stay with 7month old

Options
  • 09-08-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are travelling from rosslare to swansea vis boat and bus next weekend. There is a group of family going to my borthers wedding. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the boat or what I should be bringing with me. It is our first little holiday with our little woman. Also any food ideas for the hotel stay? I will probably have to give some ready made pouches so any suggestions appreciated.

any tips at all welcome!! its hard to organise myself never mind my little one:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

We were on the ferry a couple of times but only for 3 hrs! How long is ur boat trip?
    I'd say bring a back pack rather than changing bag and one of u have that while the other wears the baby in a carrier if poss? I found it much easier to leave stroller in car altogether as it just got in way on boat! She slept on me then - and on a couch wedged between wall and me!
    Food wise I found mothercare disposable bibs perfect for this!!! No need to worry about storing the messy ones! Also loads of zip lock bags for putting clean or dirty spoons in!

For food I used pouches! I used Ella's kitchen but really found them too sweet... The ones with 2 veg and 1 fruit are mostly just fruit!! I have since found the plum ones to be better this way - still not as good as home cooking but not far off! You could also bring banana and some porridge that u could just add milk / water to if it's morning time? I had the bowls with lids while travelling so that after making and giving her sonething if just wipe it and close it until I could wash it properly - therefore if more than one meal u will need a couple of bowls? Well I did cos I wasn't bothered or didn't like the idea of washing them in the sink in the public loo!!
    I lived the ferry and once your uber organised its fab!! NOt stressful at all! Not sure how long ur trip is but if bringing a car you can't go back down to it during trip so have all with you! If no car then just make sure to have all your stuff (2 sets of spare clothing necessary in case... I needed the 2... Typically!!) in the back pack , the bowls, spoons, pouches, bottles prefilled with water (always one more than u need just incase!) formula, nappy stuff and off ya go!!!

I love weddings..!! Enjoy it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Consider booking a cabin if you haven't already done so - it made our life so much easier to be able to get some peace away from everyone. Ask for a travel cot also.

Agree that the carrier makes life much easier than the buggy.

I found it a lot easier than flying to be honest, no security, messing around with suitcases etc.

Just figure out what you need on the boat and have that in a rucksack that you can grab from the car easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks guys!! im making a list from your posts. i know they are all common sense stuff but sometimes the baby brain overpowers the common sense!!:D:rolleyes:

the boat is only 3 hours and we are bringing a bus which my uncle is driving so no hassle with bags. i will bring porridge or weetabix for her to have once we are on the boat around 9ish. good idea on the ziplock bags!! i have a few bolws with lids but could do with more. any ideas??

oh im so excited now. cant wait.:D:P

oh and in the hotel should i buy bottle water. my brother said i can get water from the chef no problem so if i can that would be grand and i can boil it in the room. might have a bottle just in case tho. is ballygowan the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

as said above, get a cabin if you need some quiet, we got a free cot when we did the rosslare / pembroke ferry last month with our six month old and it was great to have that quiet for a nap.

Only other "tip" i might have was that the engine noise / viabration at the back of the boat seemed to induce instant sleepiness for our daughter , must be like a car journey on steroids for them, so if you're having trouble getting her to sleep head for the back.

The water in Wales is fine from the tap almost everywhere, just take a flask of boiling water with you if you need instant bottles for the journey.

& stay away from the fruit machines, you never win !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

IF you are using, they do pre-mixed bottles and re-usable teats. Aptamil do a 6 pack of bottles that are disposable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Hi guys, can you tell me do you need a passport or other id for your baby, to go to uk by ferry ? Been looking on websites and can't find answer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

You need their original birth cert even though it wasn't checked when we travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi guys, can you tell me do you need a passport or other id for your baby, to go to uk by ferry ? Been looking on websites and can't find answer ?

God - if ya do noone told us of never asked for it?

Advertisement