Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get my landlord to fix things.

Options
  • 09-08-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I moved into a new place less than a month ago but i'm having problems with my landlord.
    My shower leaks out onto the bathroom floor so there's always a pool of water on the floor when i'm finished showering.

I've asked my landlord to fix this but he has done nothing.
    His brother, a plumber took a look and did nothing.
    The landlord seems to be ignoring my calls now.
    What recourse do i have.

He also said he'd put in a table for the sitting room and fix a press before i moved in but he has done neither.

The pipes in the house seem to make a loud constant foghorn sound for 5-10 minutes after i run the taps- he denies knowing anything about this.

Again i don't think i should have anticipated this stuff before i moved in. Is he being unreasonable. Is he obliged to sort this out.
    And if he doesn't what can i do.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Welcome to the world of renting...

Firstly the shower, do you have a shower curtain that comes all the way down to the floor this can prevent such leaks, or is there a shower screen, also put a mat on the floor outside to the shower to soak up the water.
    You can also write a registered letter to the landlord stating this issue and request that it is fixed asap stating that the brother did look at it but the problem failed to be resolved. Threshold is also the place to go to with regards this kind of issue, if the landlord doesnt fix it give them a ring and get them to help.

The table and the fixing of the press should have been done but lots of landlords promise the sun moon and stars and never deliver, have you any written proof that he said that he would do this, unless you do he can always claim that he never said he supply or fix anything prior to your moving in. Learn a lesson on this one if a landlord promises to supply things or fix things prior to you moving in get it in writing, ie on the receipt you get when giving your deposit then you will have something to prove that things where promised but not delivered.

As for the pipes sounds like you have air in the rads, go to a hardware shop and get a rad key and bleed them, this is your responsibility and not the landlords unless you live in a house converted into flats where the heating is included in the rent due to being on a timer at the landlords discretion, then you can voice this issue to him as all the rads in the house will need to be bled.

All the relevant above can be put in a registered letter to the landlords address (so you have a record it was sent) if it is then not resolved within a reasonable time frame you can get threshold involved...reasonable time frame however is the issue here as there is no set rule as to what this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi
    I moved into a new place less than a month ago but i'm having problems with my landlord.
    My shower leaks out onto the bathroom floor so there's always a pool of water on the floor when i'm finished showering.

I've asked my landlord to fix this but he has done nothing.
    His brother, a plumber took a look and did nothing.
    The landlord seems to be ignoring my calls now.
    What recourse do i have.

He also said he'd put in a table for the sitting room and fix a press before i moved in but he has done neither.

The pipes in the house seem to make a loud constant foghorn sound for 5-10 minutes after i run the taps- he denies knowing anything about this.

Again i don't think i should have anticipated this stuff before i moved in. Is he being unreasonable. Is he obliged to sort this out.
    And if he doesn't what can i do.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Read this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79722865

Advertisement