Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large groups in the city

Options
  • 09-08-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Dunno if this is a regular thing or not but the last few weeks I've noticed that there is a very large amount of young teenagers (not exactly the nicest kind from what I could see :rolleyes: ) hanging around in large groups on Patrick's Street in the evenings around 6pm or 7pm. Does there be something on that they're going to?
    Just wondering as the last two Saturdays when myself and my boyfriend were catching the bus home I noticed that there's a lot of them hanging around in, um, particularly skimpy clothes and really done up to the nines and a lot in tracksuits hanging around in doorways. We've seen arrests on both occasions and there were more Gardaí around last weekend. It's fairly intimidating to say the least (and I wouldn't mind but I'm 20, so I'm not exactly an aul one :D )
    Does anyone know what's going on? I live in Cork during the college year and haven't really seen it up until now O_o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I've seen the same group and wondered WTF they were doing there too. I was just as intimidated as you were, and I'm seventeen.

I thought maybe there were waiting for one of the Savoy discos or something, but if it's week to week it couldn't be that. :S

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

Vivara wrote: »
    I've seen the same group and wondered WTF they were doing there too. I was just as intimidated as you were, and I'm seventeen.

I thought maybe there were waiting for one of the Savoy discos or something, but if it's week to week it couldn't be that. :S

V.

That's what my boyfriend was thinking, he's from Cork and I'm from Dublin so we were both fairly puzzled last Saturday when we saw it again. There were girls around too who were obviously not heading to a club (just in tracksuits and the like) so we were both like "What is going on?" O_o
    Most of them look too young even done up to be heading to regular clubs too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

They just seem to hang around in McDonalds.. maybe that's their new 'meeting',/'shifting'/ whatever they're calling it these days, spot..

MissRetro wrote: »
    They just seem to hang around in McDonalds.. maybe that's their new 'meeting',/'shifting'/ whatever they're calling it these days, spot..

Aye, there are particularly big groups around Dunnes and on the opposite side from it.
    I always thought it was odd that a lot of shops in Cork close around 5-6pm, but if that's what's hanging around their doors I can't say I blame them :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've seen this as well, especially around the McDonalds/Winthrop Street area. One Friday evening there were probably 50+ teenagers hanging out outside McDonalds. Teenagers always hang out around there but I've never seen so many of them at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

I see them fairly regularly too, they tend to descend out of nowhere; hundreds of them. they're worse than the spanish students with blocking up the place.
    Plus the sheer amount of..well..tracksuit wearers..means that police are obliged to hang around and waste their time chaperoning the little scuts. I hope it doesn't last..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Youths! Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Bring back the 80's when all the cool kidz hung around Daunt Square, outside of the Queen's Old Castle - dressed up - but in their own style trying to look original and usually succeeding vs. today. Never seemed to be any trouble. Oh those mullets and perms..................... actually, let's move on from the 80's :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its the student discos. Think they are in Pav/Mangans, or down the lane at the side of Burger King at the Oyster or something.

Nothing sinister.

Well it's feels sinister when they're all roaring and shouting :D Haha!
    I just don't get why they do it, maybe I'm just an old fogey but when I was a teenager (and it wasn't long ago :D) I wasn't hanging around and causing trouble like that :cool:
    I don't buy that "There's nothing to do" nonsense :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Young people getting together in big groups? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Better them there than around houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Once these uths are tucked away in bed Its great to walk around the city of a Friday Saturday night observing the fighting pukin collapsing from drunkenness shouting from the twenty to forty year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If you don't bother them they won't bother you. I'v noticed them hanging around there when I'd be waiting for the 214 and I'v never seen them cause agro yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

charlemont wrote: »
    If you don't bother them they won't bother you. I'v noticed them hanging around there when I'd be waiting for the 214 and I'v never seen them cause agro yet.

I've seen arrests nearly every evening.. you have to admit they're abit unnerving, and I'm used to it, I live in mayfield..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I've seen arrests nearly every evening.. you have to admit they're abit unnerving, and I'm used to it, I live in mayfield..

OK, You are obviously there most days to see it, Whereas I'd only be there the odd night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I've walked passed Dunnes recently and seen drug deals going on between the lads, so I'd say that could be drawing the arrests or the guards attention at least. I'd say they were moved on from Bishop Lucey Park (seems to be wino central there now) and Paul St and needed somewhere new to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Time to break this gadget out again:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/86200

To be fair though they haven't bothered me (apart from making it awkward to pass them due to the sheer numbers of them). As with any large group there's always a few scuts using the rest as cover for whatever antics they want to get up to. The majority are harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Time to break this gadget out again:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/86200

That thing looks great, I would have great fun with that :D

Aye! And I'm from Dublin, smack bang in the middle of one of the dodgier areas of the Southside :eek:
    I just don't get it.
    It's also kinda embarrassing to watch 15-ish years old trying their luck with men who clearly aren't interested either..... I won't say what I've seen! :rolleyes: XD
    I know one Spanish woman who was over to study in the language college who actually thought they were prostitutes! :eek: XD

• Advertisement
Advertisement