Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roundabout on The Quay

Options
  • 09-08-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Can someone enlighten me, as I'm confused.

What is the merit of a new roundabout on The Quay, one entrance of which is a one-way street, another a car park?

It must be costing quite a lot of money; I don't recall there ever being a particularly bad traffic problem at that particular junction.

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its to slow the traffic on the quay down with another going in at gladstone street(shaws).
    Traffic is going to be wide single lanes the length of the quay with very few crossovers (and dedicated lanes where there is).
    I cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

also to force trucks to use the new bridge but as it is still a major road any truck or trailor damaged by the roundabouts wil be liable to claim from the council, should of left it the **** the way it was, there slowly building waterford around tourists and not the people that live here with all he stupid ammount of zebra crossings around town and by the park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Its to slow the traffic on the quay down with another going in at gladstone street(shaws).
    Traffic is going to be wide single lanes the length of the quay with very few crossovers (and dedicated lanes where there is).
    I cant wait

No I think you will find it's a way of creating complete gridlock, mayhem and increase the number of accidents on the quay.

Whoever came up with the retarded idea should be made travel through it repeatedly every day during rush hour and then they should be made fix it at their expense.

Makes my blood boil how idiots get positions of power

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Why? itll take getting used to but I think it will work out much better in the end.
    People here dont know how to use 2 lanes. Constantly parking in one or driving down hovering in both. Single wider lanes make more sense. The roundabouts will make getting onto the quay easier. I drive on the quay almost everyday and cant wait for it to be finished although the delays have caused hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

We arrived home from Dublin at approx 1:30 today, drove along the Quay, both myself and the Mrs exchanged WTF's as regards the roundabout, and then turned up William Street - the feckin tailback from this roundabout went the whole way back up to the park... nuts! Imagine it coming up to Christmas - they'll be tailbacked up to the Uluru.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The way things are going they may as well pedestrinise the mall as you'd be quicker walking than driving on it, between the crossing at waterford crystal and the new roundabout. Last friday there was a jeep parked on the roundabout outside the gpo. And yesterday, the bus eirean bus in front of me stopped dead on the roundabout and reversed and he had misjudged how much room he needed to get around it. Dont even start me on the sods still indicating right for city square 10feet from a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

tobey wrote: »
    also to force trucks to use the new bridge but as it is still a major road any truck or trailor damaged by the roundabouts wil be liable to claim from the council, should of left it the **** the way it was, there slowly building waterford around tourists and not the people that live here with all he stupid ammount of zebra crossings around town and by the park

Many trucks are still using the city to avoid toll charges , especially off-peak .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

it's a chicane designed to bunch the race up before reaching the first corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

New bridge from reginalds tower to the bottom of Rockshire hill is what we need! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

did you ever think that they were creating a city that would be more friendly to people....regardless of if they are local or not.

its not all about cars you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think the works on the quay are a great idea:
    - better connection with the river, make the area more pleseant in general.
    - easier for tourists to ramble around viking triangle/river area/quays
    - safer for pedestrians, more road crossings, slower traffic
    - will facilitate gradual changing of quays from a car park to a more leisurely relaxing area which is what any city with river frontage does.
    - will hopefully remove vehicles especially trucks from city centre. (you dont see trucks bombing thru any other city)

All we need know is for drivers to use their cop-on and courtesy and drive properly and not park on side of road or footpaths. hopefully, they will get funds to remove cars from quays when Waterside/gas works car park opens up so that they can make the area down there nicer. What attracts tourists is good for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

How long are they at it now? Granted, the original company doing it went bust, but about 2/3 weeks ago, a new company resumed work on it, and have done nothing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Speechless...... a boy racer?
    The Grammer Nazi's would have used the Zyklon B on you long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

All the roads in Waterford City are pristine. We can afford to spend money on a critical roundabout. Not like the city council needs it for anything else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

The plan is to completely stop people turning right, and across oncoming traffic on the quay, which in my opinion (along with people parking in the inside lane from outside centra to Treacys Hotel) is the biggest problem on the quay. Apparently in time another roundabout closer to the bridge is also planned on the quay.

Time will tell if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And they'll have a median path the length of the quay, like they have after the roundbaout heading towards the Tower. If it stops people attempting to cross 2/3/4 lanes of traffic, regardless of how slow it'll make the quay, it's a good thing. Too many crashes, too many people unable to navigate 2 lanes, too many idiots stopping and parking in 1 lane, and too many people incapable of using indicators to allow it to stay the way it is.

ratedR wrote: »
    The plan is to completely stop people turning right, and across oncoming traffic on the quay, which in my opinion (along with people parking in the inside lane from outside centra to Treacys Hotel) is the biggest problem on the quay. Apparently in time another roundabout closer to the bridge is also planned on the quay.

Yep. Gladstone street.
    Theres an old thread here somewhere with a link to the full pdf of the plans.
    Trying to find it on the council website & failing miserably :/
    Although I did just find the old North Quays development plan! That went well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Revised1.7.10Part8NoticeForNewspaper02-10.doc
    The construction of a Green Route between Colbeck Street and Rice Bridge, via The Mall, Custom House Parade, Coal Quay, Meagher’s Quay and Merchants Quay. Green Routes are roads which include dedicated or shared facilities for buses and cyclists in addition to improved facilities for pedestrians. The proposed scheme provides for: -

Throughout the Scheme
     Provide upgraded bus stops throughout, including the provision of bus shelters and Kassel Kerbs to facilitate disabled and mobility impaired access to buses;
     Provide dropped kerbs and tactile paving to facilitate the mobility and sensory impaired pedestrian;
     Upgrade road signs and road markings where appropriate;
     Remove selected trees, in particular along the Mall, and replace with semi-mature specimens to detailed landscaping design;
     Upgrade signalised junctions as necessary;
     Upgrade pedestrian crossing facilities.

Colbeck Street to The Quays (The Mall)
     Provide advisory cycle tracks in the both directions;
     Existing perpendicular parking converted to parallel parking bays. Dedicated Coach Parking Bays and a new Taxi Rank to be provided to facilitate access to / from both the Waterford Crystal Experience and the Theatre Royal;
     Reconstruct and repair footpaths on both sides of the Street as necessary.

The Mall to Keizer Street
     Provide bus & cycle lane on the approach to the Mall, operating between 07.30 to 18.30, Monday to Friday;
     Provide a westbound advisory cycle track for cyclists travelling in the direction of Rice Bridge;
     Provide a right-turn lane for traffic entering both Henrietta Street and Greyfriar’s, with a solid landscaped central island provided between these right turn pockets;
     Reconstruct and repair footpaths on both sides of this Street as necessary.

Keizer Street to Gladstone Street
     Construct two number roundabouts, the first of which is provided at the junction with Keizer Street and a second at the junction with Gladstone Street. These new junction arrangements will mitigate existing conflicting traffic movements, facilitate vehicle movements into and out of the riverside car parks, in addition to allowing u-turn movements on The Quays to be safely completed;
     Provide a solid landscaped island between Keizer Street and Gladstone Street to enhance the local streetscape environment, make the street environment safer through the provision of traffic calming, enable equal and inclusive access for all road users, in parallel to facilitating ease and convenience of access for pedestrians crossing the road carriageway between the City Centre and the Riverside walk (and car parks);
     Provide advisory cycle tracks in both directions between the two roundabouts;
     Reassign on-street perpendicular car parking spaces to accommodate a 3 bay high quality public transport bus interchange located on the southern side of The Quays between Exchange Street and Conduit Street;
     Enhance the existing bus interchange facilities at The Clock Tower.
     Provide loading bays, coach parking and taxi bays located at a number of locations;
     Provide upgraded pedestrian crossing facilities at the junction with Barronstrand Street;
     Reconstruct and Repair footpaths on both sides of the Street as necessary.

Gladstone Street to Vulcan Street
     Provide bus & cycle lane in both directions on the approaches to Vulcan Street (leading to Thomas Street) and Gladstone Street, operating between 07.30 to 18.30, Monday to Friday;
     Provide a dedicated right-turn lanes to the Riverside Car Park;
     Relocate and extend taxi-rank closer to Bus Station Terminal Building;
     Enhance the existing eastbound bus stop with a larger boarding area, and the provision of Kassel kerbs and a new Shelter with seating.
     Increase the depth of existing on-street parallel parking bays by widening the footpath into the carriageway were appropriate;
     Reconstruct and Repair footpaths on both sides of this Street as necessary.

Vulcan Street to Rice Bridge
     Provide bus & cycle lane on the approach to Rice Bridge and Gladstone Street, operating between 07.30 to 18.30, Monday to Friday;
     Provide an eastbound advisory cycle track;
     Provide right-turn lanes to side roads and car parks;
     Relocate existing taxi-rank closer to Bus Station Terminal Building;
     Increase the depth of existing on-street parallel parking bays by widening the footpath into the carriageway were appropriate;
     Reconstruct and Repair footpaths on both sides of this Street as necessary.

When you look at the entire plan it makes a lot of sense.
    Its the construction speed causing major problems

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Is there an image / computerised drawing of what it will look like when it's finished do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

coming over the bridge from ferrybank side and cars turning right down billbery is the biggest danger in city at moment. will they build roundabout there or stop allowing right turning before someone gets killed!!! the roundabouts on the quay will definitely help the flow of traffic if they ever get finished. If the cost of toll bridge was reduced i would be able to use it twice daily and would ease traffic by one motorist and probably lots more but at 3.40e a go for me doesn't make economical sense .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

coming over the bridge from ferrybank side and cars turning right down billbery is the biggest danger in city at moment. will they build roundabout there or stop allowing right turning before someone gets killed!!! the roundabouts on the quay will definitely help the flow of traffic if they ever get finished. If the cost of toll bridge was reduced i would be able to use it twice daily and would ease traffic by one motorist and probably lots more but at 3.40e a go for me doesn't make economical sense .

A roundabout would solve the problem but I think to build a proper one would involve alot more space then they have available to them so either they'd have to knock a building or expand into the river.

Personally a easier solution would be to stop right turns when coming from ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

It looks like to me that their going for the non destructive type roundabout, by that I mean it only has a slightly raised edge all round if even that. So if a bus or truck miss judges it a bit no damage is done.

That's what it looks like at this stage anyway and any thing is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think the real reason is to stop trucks going that way to avoid the toll but in the process will cause a serious accident

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

i think the long term goal of ridding the quays of car parks is admirable. a green area all round the clock tower, bridge and The Plaza. it would make Waterford one of the best city centres in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Cabaal wrote: »
    A roundabout would solve the problem but I think to build a proper one would involve alot more space then they have available to them so either they'd have to knock a building or expand into the river.

Personally a easier solution would be to stop right turns when coming from ferrybank

No, here is the obvious solution: At the moment approaching the bridge from Bridge Street there are two lanes for about 50 yards. Thats pointless, I know its meant for cars wanting the right lane across the bridge but it only holds about 4 cars.

Change it to one lane, the inside one. Then mark a right turn waiting box for cars turning right off the bridge into Bilberry, so they are out of the way of cars going straight on to Bridge Street. Sensible traffic light sequence there to allow those Bilberry-ites to turn, and Bob's yer uncle.

See - lots of us on here come up with sensible traffic solutions for the town, but instead the muppets who always, always make a stones of it in the City Council are the ones that get huge salaries.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I couldn't see a parade being able to navigate that route anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

How long are they at it now? Granted, the original company doing it went bust, but about 2/3 weeks ago, a new company resumed work on it, and have done nothing since.

And they now seem to be on builders holidays.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It would be fine, if you could go up bridge street and join the road again after the park but its a rat run through the city, through residential and school areas. I drew a map for a person to avoid the quay the other day and when he looked at it, he said he'd just get the toll and go to ardmore instead of going from the m9 to dunmore.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It would be fine, if you could go up bridge street and join the road again after the park but its a rat run through the city, through residential and school areas. I drew a map for a person to avoid the quay the other day and when he looked at it, he said he'd just get the toll and go to ardmore instead of going from the m9 to dunmore.

Im really confused as to what would cause this :confused::confused:

Advertisement