Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FFS Guys Bike on RTW Trip Stole in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Exact same thing happened to an Aussie RTW'er in Dublin a few years ago :(

Dismayed that someone who'd obviously put a lot of effort into planning a trip didn't think that parking on-street in a run down area of an inner city (any city) isn't smart, or think to ask locals on the internet for advice (he would have got offers of garaging and accommodation, no doubt...)

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

TheFairy wrote: »
    Details at http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/europe/ktm-690-stolen-in-dublin-65703.

Keep yer eyes peeled guys, this person will now have to buy another bike or abandoned a trip that they no doubt spent a fortune of time and money to organise.

You would think that all the gardai going in and out of Store Street garda station would have copped someone nicking this bike.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Regardless of the if,whats and maybe's its a ****in terrible thing to happen never mind living here but on a major holiday. I really hope the lad gets it back.....:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

paddy147 wrote: »
    You would think that all the gardai going in and out of Store Street garda station would have copped someone nicking this bike.:rolleyes:

They probably gave them a hand lifting it into the van.........;)

Makes my piss boil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sids Not wrote: »
    They probably gave them a hand lifting it into the van.........;)

Sadly true, one of the main places I see the underage teens getting their booze from when heading to the likes of the Slane music festival is only a couple of doors down from a Garda station.:(
    Hopefully the lad gets it back sharpish, a rather poor welcome to our country.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Really sh!t thing to happen to anyone especially someone doing a RTW, hope he gets it back but i would say the chances are very slim.

Why don't the Gardai have a special unit to tackle crime like bike theft, they all know the usual spots where the bikes end up:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It probably took them less than 20 seconds to cut the lock and start to move it down the road, very easy thing to do regardless of where it was parked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Has anyone ever heard of an initiative about highlighting Bike Theft in Ireland, i Know they have something similiar in the states. its basically were bike hotspots are, there covered with sign postings informing people that THIS IS A BIKE THEFT HOTZONE, i think its really time to implement something like this here because robbing to order especially high end bikes seems to be on the increase , after the government and rsa makes changes to insurance , road tax, Bye laws and after we as responsible bike owners pay out X amount should they not aid us by highlighting which areas have a high risk value attached to them , just a suggestion (aheeem enda)

THIS IS A BIKE THEFT HOTZONE

Seems like you'd need one outside every town in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The guys over on Broadsheet.ie have posted about it too

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/08/10/we-dont-normally-do-this-7/

urbanledge wrote: »
    THIS IS A BIKE THEFT HOTZONE

Seems like you'd need one outside every town in the country!

Welcome to Ireland.....please leave your valuables on the ferry...:)

Hope Katie doesnt bring her medal to Bray.....and I LIVE THERE................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My uncle once had a bike stolen out of a bike shop down here in Cork and I've never actually had first hand knowledge of a bike theft apart from that down this way.

I was already of the impression that bike thefts are a Dublin thing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I really feel sorry for the guys, but where he parked it would be one of the worst spots in the city to park a expensive bike. Talbot street is quite frankly a **** hole, full all day long with hard-core drug dealers and addicts from the methadone clinic just beside Connolly. I worked right beside it and wouldn't have left my bike there for five minutes without my Almax chain threaded through the frame and around a lamp-post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

cantdecide wrote: »
    My uncle once had a bike stolen out of a bike shop down here in Cork and I've never actually had first hand knowledge of a bike theft apart from that down this way.

I was already of the impression that bike thefts are a Dublin thing???

Id be careful there lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I seen a KTM parked up down some lane in the city center today. I pulled over but it was a KTM 990 and not his bike. ****ty thing to happen to anyone.

war_child wrote: »
    Id be careful there lad

:confused:

:confused:

....and a Cork thing..and a Galway thging..etc etc....;)

Sids Not wrote: »
    ....and a Cork thing..and a Galway thging..etc etc....;)

I don't know the stats but my point is that I rarely if ever hear about bike thefts down this way. It seems that you can't seem to leave a bike out of your sight in other parts of the country without if being stuffed into the back of a van...

The way bikes are taken to order now NOWHERE is safe....anyone who actually thinks in this day and age..."WONT HAPPEN DOWN MY WAY" is mental.

Its not locals taking the stuff its people from other counties TOURING robbing the stuff and gone in 60 seconds as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't know the stats but my point is that I rarely if ever hear about bike thefts down this way. It seems that you can't seem to leave a bike out of your sight in other parts of the country without if being stuffed into the back of a van...

There's a bigger concentration of people in Dublin, also take into consideration that Dublin would have a lot more motorbike couriers etc. so there would be a lot more bikes up there, that's probably why it seems like there's more thefts.

Bike thieves will obviously steal what is easiest to obtain. There's probably more bikes parked at street level in Dublin (a lot of houses in the more densely populated parts of Dublin will have either a garden or a garage, rarely both) but at the end of the day if a bike thief wants something badly enough, he will get it, all you can do is keep it as securely locked up as possible. Easiest way to avoid theft is to keep your bike out of sight if at all possible.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ...anyone who actually thinks in this day and age..."WONT HAPPEN DOWN MY WAY" is mental.

Easy tiger. That's not what I said (twice).

Easy tiger. That's not what I said (twice).

Relax the cacks fella, did I mention or quote you.....There are alot of peeps who think this way, Including a close friend of mine ;) Hopefully they will not learn the hard way. The country is in free fall and getting worse......;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ... did I mention or quote you....

Oops. Mistaken identity. My bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 V!PER

If I had the money I would be outta this country quicker then a ducati panigale!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

V!PER wrote: »
    If I had the money I would be outta this country quicker then a ducati panigale!!!

Scum exists everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Any news on this fellas rothar? I think I saw a few lads on IBF saying they were going to meet up with him on Sat

/edit Irish Times article bouts it : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0811/1224321996018.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Gardai recovered 2 KTMs from a specific area of North Dublin - neither appear to be Noah's.

Peter Bookey (Aaron Training) has loaned Noah a bike for a week, to allow him to tour around Ireland as he planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Fair play to the biking community in Ireland tbh. We've hopefully saved face with the offers of help etc that have been offered to Noah. I know it wont get him his bike back but at least its something.

Anything that gets bike theft into the news cannot be a bad thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

gipi wrote: »
    Peter Bookey (Aaron Training) has loaned Noah a bike for a week, to allow him to tour around Ireland as he planned.

Fair balls to him!

Advertisement