Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget for Red Dwarf

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, when reading & listening to commentary for Red Dwarf, the word 'budget' is constantly thrown around. Even in Back to Earth they repeatedly hammer home that they could barely afford the main cast (and list it as one of the reasons Holly was not on Back To Earth) and in Season 7, miniatures had become so expensive that the show (for the BBC) couldn't afford the BBC. Anyway.......do you know how much money was spent on individual seasons of red dwarf? or per episode? What kind of money are we talking about?

See as RD S9 was rejected by the BBC and picked up by much smaller channel Dave, and the new season is on Dave, makes me worry it'll have a reduced budget as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey there, when reading & listening to commentary for Red Dwarf, the word 'budget' is constantly thrown around. Even in Back to Earth they repeatedly hammer home that they could barely afford the main cast (and list it as one of the reasons Holly was not on Back To Earth) and in Season 7, miniatures had become so expensive that the show (for the BBC) couldn't afford the BBC. Anyway.......do you know how much money was spent on individual seasons of red dwarf? or per episode? What kind of money are we talking about?

See as RD S9 was rejected by the BBC and picked up by much smaller channel Dave, and the new season is on Dave, makes me worry it'll have a reduced budget as well.

A reduced budget isn't a problem the way I look at it, instead of wasting money on stupid CGI stuff & off-set locations, it'll force it all into one tight little studio which is heavy on characters. Much like the early stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Another thing to mention would be library music - like the beautiful music playing during Tikka to Ride's assassination sequence, was not done by Howard Goodall. Paying someone to use a track - that's much cheaper than getting a composer and orchestra. TBH it was a great idea as the music sounded like it got noticeably better in S7. Even though it sounds much bigger and expensive, it's not specific to red dwarf, but i imagine only hardcore dwarfers who looked up the music credits would know that!

Advertisement