Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat food, am I imagining things!?

• 09-08-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

We bought Royal Canin food for my cats earlier on this year as there was an offer on for a free toy with it, now I was almost 100% certain that what I got was Royal Canin Beauty dry food specifically for coat condition and my cats turned soft as silk after. I won a 3kg bag of science plan in a competition from my vets so we didn't need to buy food again for a while, but now that it's nearly out I was going to buy the Royal Canin stuff again but it appears to have vanished off the face of the earth! I asked the one in the shop and she stared at the display for about 5 minutes before saying they didn't have it (although she seems to be new, don't remember seeing her there before). So I've been looking online and I can't find it anywhere! As far as I know it was called beauty or coat beauty, and was in a purple bag but all that's coming up in my searches it the beauty wet food or the hair and skin dry food (which it definitely wasn't). Does anyone else feed their cats with this food so know what I'm on about?? It's driving me insane! I want my soft cats back!!!

Also, they are both having skin problems at the moment, Peach had to go on steroids and Cream is just a bit scabby so I figure the beauty food might help, they didn't have any problems on it. Vet said the skin problems were an allergy but we figured it was a plant but now that I think about it, this problem has started up since they got this food. They used to be fed Science Plan optimal care but the one I won in the competition was Vet Essentials so maybe there is something different in it. I was wondering has anyone had this kind of reaction to Science Plan vet essentials?

Tl;Dr : Does anyone know of a Royal Canin Beauty dry food and know where to get it? And has anyone had a cat have an allergic reaction to Science Plan Vet Essentials. Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

YES!!! Oh my god thank you!! Haha I forgot that it was the pure feline brand!! All I was getting in my searches was indoor beauty and intense beauty, can't believe I didn't find that! Now just to convince the one in the shop that we did actually get it there :rolleyes:

So now I just need my second question addressed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah I get the Pure Feline from Zooplus, I find it very good. One of my chaps was getting sick eating the Hills and one was overweight. This seems to stop him gaining any more weight and the different shapes stop the other chap hoovering his food up.

Pet shop still didn't have it, they said they are missing some deliveries or something.. have been waiting 3 weeks for it! I got the royal canin hair and skin instead as we were out of dry food at home.. hopefully I'll see improvments in the dermatitis in the next 6 weeks otherwise it'll be back to the vet for another course of steroids and possibly skin scrapes/allergy testing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

hhhmmm... that food change, that wasn't around May by any chance ?
    My cat has an allergy that used to come back like clockwork start of May, every year. I say used to because, fingers crossed, he's hardly had anything this year (tiny crusts here and there, but he had it really bad 2 years in a row).

I think it's a plant allright, I'm in the South East, and in the countryside, there's lots of bracken and weeds obviously since we're surrounded by fields. At the time he had it bad, we tried lots of different things, steroids, topical, oral, injections, did all sorts of treatments to make sure it wasn't an obscure ringworm that wouldn't show on the light, etc... Nothing worked, and eventually I was getting the feeling that the topical steroids I was applying were doing more bad than good, so I stopped, cleaned the worst spots with water for a while, and it finished, as it does, in September.
    Now we have a stray (well, the neighbour's cat but that's a long story) that lives with us all the time now, and he also has it. Same thing, exactly.

I did the food analysis and trials too without success. (tried the vet's skin conditions food too)

• Advertisement

It started the start of June when we changed the food, so hopefully it was just the food cos were in the middle of the country side so it would be really hard to find it out and restrict access to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Sorry, my post was so doom and gloom :)
    Yeah, hopefully it's the food in your case, better that than plants, because I feel there's nothing much I can do to help my two fellows here when the patches start...
    We stopped short of the skin scrape with my Popey that time, because it was nearly the end of the summer, and the vet reckoned she had to do a general anaesthetic and a stitch, and keep him in... it was a lot, after all the treatments he'd already had.
    I'm in South East and I think she said results from the lab take a good while to come back too, by then you(/I/one) might have already noticed improvement in whatever it was...

edit : and I know what it is, even though he's staying in more and more as he gets ... hem... more mature (he's on my lap, looking), I couldn't keep my fellow in all the time.

Advertisement