Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Dolphin's Barn like to live in?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm a student in Trinity and I'm about to rent a house on the South Circular Road at Dolphin's Barn. Anyone have any info at all on what the area is like to live in? Is it safe especially at night/in the evening? Any info at all on the area and surrounding areas ie Maryland, Thomas Street, Cork Street etc. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

those areas would be a little bit rough but if you keep your wits about you and don't act the maggot I would not be worried. you'd only be a stones throw from the city centre which would be very handy for trinners and going on the lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i know a lot of people that live and work there. its considered very rough. one man i know had the door of his house kicked in and vandalised because he wouldnt mule.
    dolphin house is probably the roughest block of flats in south dublin and the bridge house and barn house are very rough pubs. i know the bookie next door to the barn house very well. he was held up 6 times in a 2 month period a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I stop off at the centra in Rialto most days, always a few dodgy looking guys there. You can tell the people working in there are used to scummers, they're constantly scanning the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Steer clear, friend has a cottage in the area and hates the area, surrounded by scum

Thomas St probably not so bad, lots of students/decent apartment blocks, keep your eyes open out on the street and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Hey there

It depends where abouts you are looking, I would consider anywhere around dolphins house flats not very pleasant so do avoid if you can. If I were you I would be aiming for somewhere in between donore avenue and clanbrassil street, the coombe, francis street and town side of thomas street.... I live near meath street/francis street and never really have any problems, always a few headbangers about but are generally nice people. I have lived in a lot of places in Dublin (D8, D6, D6w, D4, D13) and this is my favourite of them all. Daft.ie is always full of amazing cheap places near dolphins house flats, don't be suckered into it, there is a reason they are cheap!

Just my two cents..

EDIT: just to add to my main point, i used to deliver takeaway food in the city a few years ago for extra income and have delivered to every flat complex on the south of the city. dolphins house was the only place where i was threatened by scumbags and i really felt like i was going to be robbed every time i went in there. so please do avoid as it could not have gotten any better these last few years, seems to have been left to rot by the council and gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Frack wrote: »
    Hey there

It depends where abouts you are looking, I would consider anywhere around dolphins house flats not very pleasant so do avoid if you can. If I were you I would be aiming for somewhere in between donore avenue and clanbrassil street, the coombe, francis street and town side of thomas street.... I live near meath street/francis street and never really have any problems, always a few headbangers about but are generally nice people. I have lived in a lot of places in Dublin (D8, D6, D6w, D4, D13) and this is my favourite of them all. Daft.ie is always full of amazing cheap places near dolphins house flats, don't be suckered into it, there is a reason they are cheap!

Just my two cents..
    Yeah, I reckon you could move closer to town, have the same rent and a nicer area. Dublin 8 or cork street area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lots of options in Dublin and you can do better OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

bm1993 wrote: »
    I'm a student in Trinity and I'm about to rent a house on the South Circular Road at Dolphin's Barn. Anyone have any info at all on what the area is like to live in? Is it safe especially at night/in the evening? Any info at all on the area and surrounding areas ie Maryland, Thomas Street, Cork Street etc. Thanks

Personally I don't think it's too bad. I live and have lived all of my life only a stones throw from Dolphins Barn so maybe I would be use to seeing the odd dodgy character around and wouldn't think much of it and generally would have my witts about me. The majority of people in and around the area are salt of the earth type but I'd be lying if I said there was no crime and anti social behaviour.

Maybe if your not from a similar area or have never lived in or near a rough area before it probably would be best to avoid. The further you go down South Circular the nicer it seems to get so maybe that could be an option? Although I would imagine prices might increase as well.

Maybe you could also look at a quiet part of Drimnagh or Crumlin? The 122 and 123 go through Drimnagh and leave you on Dame Street right facing Trinity?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would avoid Dolphin's Barn if I were you OP. I worked there back some years ago and I always found it to be pretty rough and menacing.

There are many more areas close to the city centre worth considering - like Kilmainham, Islandbridge, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Phibsboro, Drumcondra and Harold's Cross.

Steer clear of Dolphin's Barn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Dolphins barn is very rough and if certain people there so much as think that you might be a student of TCD it wont be long until they start hassling you. I'd avoid this area like the plague OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Dolphins barn is very rough and if certain people there so much as think that you might be a student of TCD it wont be long until they start hassling you. I'd avoid this area like the plague OP

Mixed area, but close to town. If you can afford it, there are nicer areas nearby with less scum, e.g. Portobello, Harolds Cross etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've lived in Dolphin's Barn for more than 10 years and the worst that's happened me is having a bike nicked from the garden; I've had more hassle from people in Cabinteely than Dolphin's Barn. Avoid Dolphin House and any pubs near it and you should be grand. You can PM me with what street you're looking at and I can give you my impression of it if you like, as there are some streets I wouldn't go down.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

kilmainham would be a better option,far safer,plenty of transport,you could cycle to trinity in 15mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

You would be better with an apartment somewhere else would honestly say stay outa there.
    Get a place which be easy to get public transport to Trinity so along a good bus route or Luas route red or green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

+1 for Kilmainham

Straight bus run or handy cycle to Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a lot of students live there. it is dodgey, but you get used to it. walking south circular is generally safe. cork street area is junkie central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Dolphin's Barn is 'dog rough', as a resident there might describe it.

Usually places that have billboards erected on their blocks of flats warning 'NO DRUGS SOLD HERE'.... well usually there is drugs sold there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not as bad to live in as some people would lead you to believe but fairly rife with junkies.

My recommendation is to move somewhere South City, Dublin 2, Dublin 4, Dublin 6, although preferably Ranelagh over the likes of Rathmines if opting for the latter.

anncoates wrote: »
    Not as bad to live in as some people would lead you to believe but fairly rife with junkies.

Anywhere 'rife with junkies' is very ****ing bad! :)

• Advertisement

dusf wrote: »
    My recommendation is to move somewhere South City, Dublin 2, Dublin 4, Dublin 6, although preferably Ranelagh over the likes of Rathmines if opting for the latter.

You don't have to go southside to find somewhere nice.
    OP, pretty much anywhere else in Dublin would be a step up from Dolphins Barn. Don't be seduced by cheap prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

For an "outsider" I'd stay clear of Dolphins Barn, I live 10 mins away and always have but it's a dodgy place if you don't know it or have your wits, the Tesco next door to it opened up and afaik it's one of the only Tesco Extras with 2 security guards on at all times and has tagged nearly everything in the shop! Used to be 24/7 garda presence in the flats up until recently too. My suggestion (if it's an option) is move down towards the town end of Cork St or SCR!

OP, pretty much anywhere else in Dublin would be a step up from Dolphins Barn. Don't be seduced by cheap prices!

hear hear. trinity is on the border with the northside and there are plenty of decent places to live north of the liffey. I Rinelagh and Rathmines cliche student areas that are often overpriced hovels. find a place near the DART.

For an "outsider" I'd stay clear of Dolphins Barn, I live 10 mins away and always have but it's a dodgy place if you don't know it or have your wits, the Tesco next door to it opened up and afaik it's one of the only Tesco Extras with 2 security guards on at all times and has tagged nearly everything in the shop! Used to be 24/7 garda presence in the flats up until recently too. My suggestion (if it's an option) is move down towards the town end of Cork St or SCR!

there is a Spar there where a guard had his face slashed, another guard had boiling oil thrown over him, while a shop worker was stabbed with a syringe only month. a charming area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I wouldn't have said it was unsafe & I lived around there for quite a long time (and still walk through Dolphins Barn regularly), I wouldn't have gone into Dolphin House but often used that bit of the canal right beside it as a 'jogging track' during a failed attempt at keeping fit and had absolutely no issue. However - I think how comfortable you're going to be living there depends on how comfortable you are around areas that feel a bit rough and around people with Dublin accents that can be a bit intimidating. I don't find groups of cocky, annoying, hormonal kids with Dublin accents any more scary than cocky, annoying, hormonal kids with Kildare accents but one of my housemates was scared sh1tless of them and it really coloured how comfortable they felt when we lived there.

I loved living around there because it was super handy, on great public transport, walkable to town, Lidl on my actual doorstep but I wouldn't deny that it is a bit rough & that lots of people won't love living there. Best advice is to go for a walk around the area at a few different times of the day and see how you feel. As Gavin "shels"mentioned the town end of Cork Street & the South Circular Road further away from Dolphins Barn are definitely nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

OP here, thanks for all your responses so far. Turns out the map on the ad on daft.ie was wrong, the house is actually east of Dolphin's Barn, at the junction between South Circular Road and Donore Avenue to be precise. Does this make much of a difference? I can only assume it's a lot safer.

Of course you don't, but Castleknock is a bit far out from the city centre. I guess the term nice is relative to the standards of the person deeming an area so :D

Of course you don't, but Castleknock is a bit far out from the city centre. I guess the term nice is relative to the standards of the person deeming an area so :D

Oh God, don't even start with that. castleknock is Blanchardstowns mortal enemy and Blanchardstown is better :L

Oh God, don't even start with that. castleknock is Blanchardstowns mortal enemy and Blanchardstown is better :L

I don't think entire areas can be enemies with another area.

Personally I think Castleknock is a much nicer place to live than Blanchardstown, parts of which would be more similar to Dolphin's Barn.

• Advertisement

I don't think entire areas can be enemies with another area.

Personally I think Castleknock is a much nicer place to live than Blanchardstown, parts of which would be more similar to Dolphin's Barn.

Parts of blanchardstown similar to dolphins barn? You must be jokin. Unless you're talking about Ladyswell and Wellview neither of which are in Blanchardstown.

Advertisement