Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Dolphin's Barn like to live in?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

dusf wrote: »
    I don't think entire areas can be enemies with another area.

Personally I think Castleknock is a much nicer place to live than Blanchardstown, parts of which would be more similar to Dolphin's Barn.

I grew up in Castleknock and yes, it's a "well heeled" area but packed to the brim by pretentious, shallow two-faced snobs and dodgy flashy scummers with lots of money, much of which was probably not acquited via legal means. 'Nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I grew up in Castleknock and yes, it's a "well heeled" area but packed to the brim by pretentious, shallow two-faced snobs and dodgy flashy scummers with lots of money, much of which was probably not acquited via legal means. 'Nuff said!

You sound like you are very familiar with reverse snobbery.

bm1993 wrote: »
    OP here, thanks for all your responses so far. Turns out the map on the ad on daft.ie was wrong, the house is actually east of Dolphin's Barn, at the junction between South Circular Road and Donore Avenue to be precise. Does this make much of a difference? I can only assume it's a lot safer.

Yes, that location is a good bit better than Dolphin's Barn itself. It's nearly across from Griffith College and close to the canal. It's at the westernmost extremity of what I'd call OK, and I'd advise that if you decide to move there to avoid heading further west along the SCR to Dolphin's Barn unless you must.

But the wider area is notorious for break-ins and burglaries, so good robust locks for doors, windows, bikes and, if possible, an alarm are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

I live in an apartment block on the corner of Marrow Bone Lane and Cork Street for the last 6 years. Nothing bad has happened to us here. The younger kids & younger teenagers get in and set off the fire alarms the odd time but mostly its just bored kids with nothing to do.

I would avoid the houses at the back of Lidl though and in around St Teresa's Gardens Flats. The newer apartment blocks all seem grand.

There is great Public Transport - Buses into Town, Luas around the corner and if all else fails it's less then a 20 minute walk into the City centre. Most of the people are salt of the Earth but there can be a few gob****es/junkies when living this close to Town. Thats just life.

OP I contend that anywhere you are 'mostly' safe, and anywhere you may have to make a special effort to 'keep your wits about you' is somewhere you do not want to live.

Do you have to rent this place?

Also, just to add I do appreciate that most of the people in Dolphin's Barn are probably indeed salt of the earth, but all of them are overshadowed by the non salt of the earth element, a lot more in that area than the majority of the rest of the capital.

Dolphin's Barn is known as one of the roughest areas in Dublin for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

the junction of scr and donore is where I work , in the old synagogue. When you were talking dolphins barn I was nervous for you OP but here is fine. Its no beverly hills but in the 13 yrs I'm working here I've had no major probs.

dusf wrote: »

You sound like you are very familiar with reverse snobbery.

Just telling it as it is dusf. I've lived all over Dublin and abroad a couple of times in the past 15 years and I've never encountered snobbery to the same degree as Castleknock.

It's a very attractive suburb with a lot of things going for it but unfortunately the snobbery and very insecure "new" money is not one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

bm1993 wrote: »
    OP here, thanks for all your responses so far. Turns out the map on the ad on daft.ie was wrong, the house is actually east of Dolphin's Barn, at the junction between South Circular Road and Donore Avenue to be precise. Does this make much of a difference? I can only assume it's a lot safer.

Grand spot, you've got a Spar, a quality Off license and an array of shops at Leonards Corner. I live just off Donore Ave, it's literally like a ghost town after about 9.30pm!
    Andrew H wrote: »

I would avoid the houses at the back of Lidl though and in around St Teresa's Gardens Flats. The newer apartment blocks all seem grand.

Why? I live 2 minutes from Teresa's Gardens? If you think it's bad now, you're lucky you didn't see around here a few years back before they started clearing out the residents of the flats.

Just telling it as it is dusf. I've lived all over Dublin and abroad a couple of times in the past 15 years and I've never encountered snobbery to the same degree as Castleknock.

It's a very attractive suburb with a lot of things going for it but unfortunately the snobbery and very insecure "new" money is not one of these.

I'll take snobs over junkies any day of the week.

Also, 'new money'? What year is this 1910? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

But the wider area is notorious for break-ins and burglaries, so good robust locks for doors, windows, bikes and, if possible, an alarm are a must.[/QUOTE]

all of which the landlord will avoid installing. have rented in the area and usually the landlord does not have anything in the gaff worth stealing. little on street parking available. we had a house and fire alarm, both of which did not work.

• Advertisement

Why? I live 2 minutes from Teresa's Gardens? If you think it's bad now, you're lucky you didn't see around here a few years back before they started clearing out the residents of the flats.

I was talking about parts of Eugene Street. Where some of the residents are afraid to open their doors after 6:30pm.

I was walking through one afternoon when a man who seemed to be living on his own came out and ran a group of teenagers away from his door. A couple of minutes later at least 15 young teenagers jumped over the wall from St. Teresa's Gardens and kicked his door in screaming for him to come out to them. No cops came in and they went when they were finished causing ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I was talking about parts of Eugene Street. Where some of the residents are afraid to open their doors after 6:30pm.

I was walking through one afternoon when a man who seemed to be living on his own came out and ran a group of teenagers away from his door. A couple of minutes later at least 15 young teenagers jumped over the wall from St. Teresa's Gardens and kicked his door in screaming for him to come out to them. No cops came in and they went when they were finished causing ****.

My friends had to move from a cottage on Eugene st too due to constant intimidation from the kids/teenagers.

I lived just off of Ruben st for two years, lovely terrace with friendly neighbours etc.

But two minutes up the road and it you had ten year olds smashing car windows in.

The latest I ever walked around there on my own would have been around 11pm or so, quite deserted and I presume you could just leg it up to the taxi office beside the Chinese if anything did go down.

I'd stay clear of St.Anthony's Road, Eugene St and any of the roads that lead into Dolphin House down in Rialto.

Worst thing that ever happened me was crossing over the canal coming home from a new years party where a lad grabbed my arse and screamed "give us a go of you" as he walked by...

Other friends did have bikes robbed from their back garden down by the Herberton too, but bike theft happens everywhere in Dublin.

Jesus, how long ago was this?

I've walked around that area hundreds of time from 1pm in the day to 5am in the morning and the only trouble I've ever had was a few little muppets throwing snowballs, you grab one or intimidate them before they get you and the lot leg it, that's the thing about these scumbags, they'll only do it when in a group and think they're invincible!

Jesus, how long ago was this?

I've walked around that area hundreds of time from 1pm in the day to 5am in the morning and the only trouble I've ever had was a few little muppets throwing snowballs, you grab one or intimidate them before they get you and the lot leg it, that's the thing about these scumbags, they'll only do it when in a group and think they're invincible!

This happened April 2011 and I agree that most of them scarper once you stand up to them as with all scum bags and TBH nothing has ever happened to me.

It's a different story when you have to live in these areas and they know where you live. The kids/young teenagers have nothing to do and all day to to do it. Mammy & Daddy are sitting at home drinking cans and looking for an excuse to have a go off of anyone who accuses their kids of been in the wrong (it breaks the boredom) and the Gardai/Politicians/Council dont care cause you live on the wrong side of the street.

But as has been said most of the neighbours are the best in the World. It's just a few bad families that bring the area down.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Can anyone advise on Dolphin Road, near where it changes to Parnell Road?
    Considering a house share there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daniyah1413

Hi, I have a contract with an apartment on mc governs corner in cork street ,, When now i read your comments i regret having the contract and im soooo scared from the area ..
    I am not from dublin ,,i'm a student and first time living in Dublin :(:(:(

I called them to cancel the contract they told me i will lose all the money I have paid and its quit a lot :(:(:(:(

I am worried cuz i will be alone

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Good Advice

I wouldn't be afraid of the area one bit!! Lived on crumlin road right where it meets dolphins barn never had an ounce of trouble, ya just have to be smart ... Most of the people in the area are the nicest you will meet, the area has a name but it's not as bad as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hi, I have a contract with an apartment on mc governs corner in cork street ,, When now i read your comments i regret having the contract and im soooo scared from the area ..

I called them to cancel the contract they told me i will lose all the money I have paid and its quit a lot :(:(:(:(

Don't be worried. The area's not as bad as some people think. Cork Street is a wide, open, well used road, so you don't have to worry about it being dodgy. As long as you don't go looking for trouble you should be grand.

McGoverns corner is grand, I used to walk past it most nights at 10.30pm when I used to get the Luas home from work, place would be dead by then. Cork St during the day does be full of people so you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Daniyah don't be worried! :) I am a 26 year old female and have lived just off Cork St off Reuben Street for 4 years and never had any trouble. I get off the bus on Cork Street to walk home all the time, sometimes after 11pm alone, and although I walk quickly and keep my wits about me because it is late and on a city street, there is nothing particularly to worry about and as Gavin said it is usually dead quiet by then. I would have no problem recommending anyone to live on Cork St, it is just a safe as anywhere else in Dublin, dont cancel your contract and lose your money!

• Advertisement

Hi Daniyah,

I live McGovern's Corner and the area is grand. There is a great bus service and the Luas is around the Corner. There is a Centra shop built into the Apartment block which is quite handy and Lidl is across the road a few teenagers can hang around the Centra shop the odd time but just ignore them they tend to stick to themselves in any case.

Don't lose your deposit and don't be worried. It is a nice enough area to live.

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amf

Hello,

I'm wondering if the reputation for Dolphin's Barn has improved over the last few years?

I'm considering buying an apartment at the beginning of Reuben Street, just off Dolphin's Barn.

I am a foreigner with plenty of Irish friends asking me to stay well clear off Dolphin's Barn, however I walked to the area this evening and felt OK. There is some rubbish on the streets, some derelict looking buildings, but on the overall I didn't feel "unsafe". I noticed no barbwires on fences, no obvious CCTV, no meaningless graffiti....
    I like that all services seem to be at my doorstep like convenience stores, Lidl, coffee shops, hairdressers, hospital, gym, even a beautiful community garden!!
    Am I being naive or are my friends being snob?
    Thanks for all your replies!!
    AMF

Just need to be weary at all times, I live 5 mins from there and it's gotten better. You'll see some building work beginning and it will probably only continue on the derelict buildings, etc...

Maybe stroll around in the evening times? 8pm, 9, 10 or 11 and see how you feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've lived there for a while and it's definitely gotten better. You're still better off keeping yourself to yourself but other than kids trying to make you jump by leaping out and going "RAAAHH!" it's not too bad. Just avoid the nutters and occasional junkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live on the South Circular Road, just before the Dolphin's Barn/Cork Street crossroads and I have to say I have found the area very quiet. I walk home on my own from pubs on Clanbrassil Street and the street seems very safe to me. I lived in Stoneybatter for 2.5 years and I found that way more threatening at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Its a working class / cheaper apartment area that you will find in any city. Make your own friends don't go out of your way to be a prick it is close to town, getting better and 93.2 % of the people are lovely. In 20 years you will wonder why did you ever worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just need to be weary at all times, I live 5 mins from there and it's gotten better. You'll see some building work beginning and it will probably only continue on the derelict buildings, etc...

Maybe stroll around in the evening times? 8pm, 9, 10 or 11 and see how you feel.
    If I saw you walking towards me Id cross :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TsunamiBomb7

HI, myself and my partner are looking at buying a house on the crumlin road side of dolphins barn. I've driven past at night and gone jogging past in the evening and the area seems fine to me but he is dead set that it's a very bad area still. Does anyone know if that's the case? I know some of the posts here are a few years old so up to date views would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

HI, myself and my partner are looking at buying a house on the crumlin road side of dolphins barn. I've driven past at night and gone jogging past in the evening and the area seems fine to me but he is dead set that it's a very bad area still. Does anyone know if that's the case? I know some of the posts here are a few years old so up to date views would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can't advise on the area, but I did go through a process of buying in an area with a bit of a reputation. My advice is go up a few times during the day and night. Speak to the local shop keepers etc. I found speaking to the local pharmacist very useful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Thread is utter nonsense. Very shocked to see what people are saying about the area.

Dangerous place to live in the 90s but very safe now. Much like Crumlin and Rialto the area is experiencing gentrification.

In my own experience very safe but I wouldn't go wandering around side streets and lanes late at night, mind you I wouldn't do that anywhere.

Would love to live there myself it's quiet, close to town, major hospital on your doorstep and some very nice areas close by to stroll around at the weekend (Rathmines, Harolds Cross)

Advertisement