Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Dolphin's Barn like to live in?

Options
13»

Comments

HI, myself and my partner are looking at buying a house on the crumlin road side of dolphins barn. I've driven past at night and gone jogging past in the evening and the area seems fine to me but he is dead set that it's a very bad area still. Does anyone know if that's the case? I know some of the posts here are a few years old so up to date views would be appreciated. Thanks!

Crumlin road, just over the bridge is a grand.
    Lovely houses. A 20 minute walk to town.
    It's a busy road though, that's the only downside i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Thread is utter nonsense. Very shocked to see what people are saying about the area.

Dangerous place to live in the 90s but very safe now. Much like Crumlin and Rialto the area is experiencing gentrification.

In my own experience very safe but I wouldn't go wandering around side streets and lanes late at night, mind you I wouldn't do that anywhere.

Would love to live there myself it's quiet, close to town, major hospital on your doorstep and some very nice areas close by to stroll around at the weekend (Rathmines, Harolds Cross)

Indeed, even in Crumlin in recent years the indigenous white tracksuited 'whats da starrrrryyy budd' scumbag brigade seem to have become less prominent in recent years as residents moved in from other parts of Dublin, Ireland & the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just on Rialto getting gentrification, I'm afraid the massive apartment development will prevent that. I'm not saying it's a bad area, it just hamstrung itself in regards to ever becoming a truly 'good' area. The absolute mental prices on Reuben street thankfully stopped me purchasing and there are nicer areas for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Just on Rialto getting gentrification, I'm afraid the massive apartment development will prevent that. I'm not saying it's a bad area, it just hamstrung itself in regards to ever becoming a truly 'good' area. The absolute mental prices on Reuben street thankfully stopped me purchasing and there are nicer areas for less money.

Just wondering where this massive apartment development is? There are a lot of apartment blocks on Cork St, Dolphins Barn, Fatima, but very few in Rialto - it is quite a small area. The New Ireland Road and Mountshannon Road areas were always gentrified. Rialto in my eyes would run only halfway down the SCR towards the big crossroads at Dolphins Barn. The closer to the Barn the less gentrified... but the drugs wars are over, the decent folk won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just wondering where this massive apartment development is? There are a lot of apartment blocks on Cork St, Dolphins Barn, Fatima, but very few in Rialto - it is quite a small area. The New Ireland Road and Mountshannon Road areas were always gentrified. Rialto in my eyes would run only halfway down the SCR towards the big crossroads at Dolphins Barn. The closer to the Barn the less gentrified... but the drugs wars are over, the decent folk won.

Please don't misunderstand me, decent hardworking folk. It's the complex at the end of the street, Herberton which put me off the area. Now don't get me wrong 100m makes all the difference in Dublin, and I've no direct experience, but the feedback I got wasn't entirely positive. 295K down there for a 2/3 bedroom happy days but the prices have gone as high as 395K I believe, and personally it's just not worth it. 395K could get you a house 5 minutes from the DART on the border of Kilbarrack and Foxfield that is seeing genuine gentrification.

The area is fine, walkable at a push to town and has the benefits of the LUAS, but suffers from inner city planning IMHO. To me it doesn't represent great value. That's not to say though that it's a bad area by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Fatima/F2/Herberton apts are in Rialto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

HI, myself and my partner are looking at buying a house on the crumlin road side of dolphins barn. I've driven past at night and gone jogging past in the evening and the area seems fine to me but he is dead set that it's a very bad area still. Does anyone know if that's the case? I know some of the posts here are a few years old so up to date views would be appreciated. Thanks!

I live just beside the Gate Bar, the place is very quiet, never seen any trouble in 9 years living there, ok the shopping centre is a disgrace (thanks Dunnes, not renewing Molloy's lease!) and looks bad, but the aea is great, plenty of buses or a short walk/cycle into town

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hooleyo

I live in the area and my mother lives on the Dolphins Barn end of the Crumlin Road.

As someone mentioned, the only disadvantage is traffic and noise from that section of road. Safety? - there is no issue what-so-ever. Ok, dont leave a bike unlocked in the front garden (or even with a cheap lock) because it will be swiped. Ok, you cant leave your doors unlocked either. But the same applies to any other busy city centre location. Its totally safe, during the day and at night.

In the medium term I think, and as others have said, that the area will gentrify (even further). The only 'obstacle' to ever becoming any sort of well-to-do area is the Dolphin House flats, which are currently undergoing significant regeneration. But I mean it adds a mix of people to the area and adds life, something lacking in many places.

If its on the Crumlin road you are thinking of buying. Your only concern should be traffic and the noise. The area and the safety of the area is not a problem.

Some of the improvements that will take place over the next number of years:

- A large primary healthcare centre is to be built in Rialto on the South Circular Road (this year believe)
    - The new Childrens Hospital will be very close by.
    - The old cinema in Rialto has a protected facade and is currently up for sale. Whatever is developed, it will include a retail section.
    - A new 'linear park' was planted on Dolphins Barn Street (just over the bridge) last year. As the plants and trees mature it should make for a significant visual improvement to that area.
    - Dolphin House Flats regeneration. If done correctly, it will mean a massive improvement to the overall area.
    - A significant new park being built further down Cork Street.

Just some of the things I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

It might happen that the Dolphin House Flats will become privatised, similiar styled flats in London are all now owner occupied and cost a fortune due to location to centre of city etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think that will happen any time soon and would you want a bunch of Russians buying up all the property so that Irish people can't actually afford to live in their capital city any more?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think that will happen any time soon and would you want a bunch of Russians buying up all the property so that Irish people can't actually afford to live in their capital city any more?

Russians aren't going to buy the flats in Dolphin's Barn but a lot of similar developments in London are lived in by decent working people now who bought them outright. I'm not sure anyone would want to buy these ones though!

Russians aren't going to buy the flats in Dolphin's Barn but a lot of similar developments in London are lived in by decent working people now who bought them outright. I'm not sure anyone would want to buy these ones though!

Lots of those Londoners sold their apartments and they were bought up by large landlords. And are there no decent working people living in Dolphin's Barn now? I live there.

I have started looking to buy in the area and I am noticing that even the smaller houses in Crumlin are starting to creep past the 250k mark. You can still get very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Are there really no decent working people living in Dolphins Barn? who is living there then?

I would think Crumlin and Driminagh etc would be a great buy get in there if you can, also perhaps Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Are there really no decent working people living in Dolphins Barn? who is living there then?

I would think Crumlin and Driminagh etc would be a great buy get in there if you can, also perhaps Ballyfermot.

I think you missed the point.

Really, did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Are you posting under 2 diff accounts?

There are a lot of hard working people living in dolphins barn, and there are also a lot of savages who ruin the place for everyone else. Thankfully, the former is increasing while the latter decreases...

Advertisement