Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it actually mean?

Options
  • 09-08-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking at doing the part time video games course in Clane college and the only requirement is " a working knowledge of the windows operating system".
    I know how to use excel and a bit of word. What would they be looking for specifically?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You to know the difference between Windows and Office applications perhaps?

In all honesty these courses are 'jump on the band wagon' - if its for free though Springboard - why not? If you're paying for it I'd think twice.

Knowledge of windows would be - do you know how to turn on the computer and do the basics. Basically if you've ever managed to play a computer game or look at a nudey picture of a lady/man (what ever you're into) you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd read it as "knows how to use a Windows computer".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

So basically if I can turn in on and use the Internet etc.. I'm set?

Most likely - could mean they want you to know what APIs like DirectX do - stuff you could learn in about 8 minutes. Don't let it put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Is there any reading material or online stuff I should read?

• Advertisement

Games design?

What DirectX is - have a look at what the PC gaming Modding community is all about. The rest should flow organically from there. Well that an the Indie casula games for PC and other platforms like phones.

Advertisement