Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer

Options
  • 09-08-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this (or at least I hope I am)

I was offered a job today, after an interview yesterday. The job is in an industry that I want to get into, but not in the same role (admin as opposed to accountancy). The relevant details are as follows:

Hours are 9.00 - 17.30 with at least 1 hour of unpaid overtime expected per day.
    6 Month contract with no chance of the contact being extended.
    Pay is on the lower end of the scale for the particular role.

My concern is that I am in college (part-time, evenings), where I am at the top of my class (year 3 of 4). College starts at 17.30, 2 evenings a week. I would be given no time off for exams or annual leave (paid at end of contract - illegal, but not really an issue). If I take the role, I would lose my college fees (on an LMA course), and the course would cost me about 1/3rd of my gross pay. I would also have all the hassle of signing on again with the means testing and the CWO (it took 12 weeks last time to get everything processed), when the contract is over. I have also been told that they won't give a reference or acknowledge that I worked there (company policy across entire organisation - +50k employees).

There is also an issue that I have been ill during the year (hospitalisation and convalescence at home for over 2 months). I am still undergoing treatment for the illness, including regular tests and checkups, which can flare up badly at any time.

Just wondering if people think I would be crazy to turn it down? Or given the situation, and the resultant costs and health issues, if I should turn it down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think you'd be crazy to take it - unless you really really need the money it offers. And it sounds like you don't given the effect on your grant (or whatever).

Why - at least 1 hour unpaid overtime each day? That's a lot for a lowly admin job that you won't even get a certificate of service (much less a reference) from. If they're saying that before you start, I wonder what they'll be asking for later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Interesting post. Personally is be inclined to turn down the offer. Your health and your education would seem to be more important priorities at the moment.

However, you obviously applied to this company for some role, and from reading between the lines, they are a company in the industry that you want to get into. I would be careful how I turned down the offer - it could come back to haunt you.

Advertisement