Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I might have failed a repeat. What are my options.

Options
  • 09-08-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Wrote a 1st year engineering maths exam and it didn't go too well. I'm hoping to get at least 30 to 35% with my marks from the assessments.

Is there such a thing as compensation for repeats?

Would I have to repeat a whole year even if I failed just that subject. Lets assume on this point that their is no compensation.

What are my options?

Please advise.

Kind Regards.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

As far as I know you can compensate repeat subjects.

You would only have to repeat the subject you failed, if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you sure CA counts towards repeats?
    Also, in most faculties, you have to pass the exam before the CA counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 whatev.

I heard they count CA towards the repeats if it benefits you. So if you didn't hand in any of your assignments, they won't count it, but if you did well in them then they will. Don't know if that's true or not.

I failed a maths exam but passed due to CA. That was with the maths dept rather than the engineering one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

I knew that i failed a maths repeat in nuig engineering 2 years ago so i rang up the course coordinator and also emailed both maths lecturers telling them that i think i screwed up on the day. they gave me 40%
    Even if you dont pass the exam arrange a meeting with the head of your department. If he thinks you put in a decent effort all year he might let you progress.i have heard of a few guys who have done this

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

^ Thanks for the advice..

I feel a bit better now.

I put in a pretty good effort in most of the subjects, my attendance was above 95%, attended most of the tutorials and did well in assessments and projects. I spent a decent amount of time in SUMS too.

I struggled somewhat with maths and I seem to perform badly in the exams.

Who should I speak to : The maths people, the head of department or the whole lot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah you can compensate repeats. Your new repeat results go back in with your passed results and you need to pass each group like before. There is a minimum though, 20 or 25%.

^ Was the case when I was in Engineering a couple of years ago anyway.

I came across this in marks and standards...
    10. Carrying Forward Marks

Where a student fails a group, all failed modules within the group must be repeated, except in exceptional circumstances.

Examinations in Engineering must each be passed as a whole. However, in the case of a student who obtains at any examination sitting, a mark of 40% or more of the marks in one or more modules, or groups of modules, but has failed the overall exam, the Board may decide to allow students to hold these marks in perpetuity.

In the case where a candidate fails a module, but has obtained a passing mark in elements or individual examinations of the module, the board may decide to carry forward these marks to all succeeding examinations within the following time limit: two years from the date of entering the year of the programme concerned.

Does this mean that a student who fas failed two out of three exams in a group , may at the boards discretion be allowed to proceed to 2nd year and then write those exams at some stage within two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I came across this in marks and standards...

Does this mean that a student who fas failed two out of three exams in a group , may at the boards discretion be allowed to proceed to 2nd year and then write those exams at some stage within two years?

I believe that bureaucratese legalspeak is to do with repeating a year, meaning you only have to repeat the subjects which you failed and not the module/year as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JD_matic

Same boat as you, feeling pretty lost.

If you get good marks overall, but say get 15% in one subject, would that still be compensated?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

JD_matic wrote: »
    Same boat as you, feeling pretty lost.

If you get good marks overall, but say get 15% in one subject, would that still be compensated?

I'm pretty sure you need to score within the 30-39% bracket to qualify for passing by compensation.

The best thing you can do is contact the head of the department that you're studying in, the rules can differ from course to course.

• Advertisement

Megglet wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you need to score within the 30-39% bracket to qualify for passing by compensation.

The best thing you can do is contact the head of the department that you're studying in, the rules can differ from course to course.

Yup, that's what i was thinking. Is it brazen to ask if i could repeat the class in 2nd year?

The head of the course was the lecturer in the subject i failed in :(

What course you in? For engineering the cut-off for compensation is 25%.

J o e wrote: »
    What course you in? For engineering the cut-off for compensation is 25%.

I'm in BIS, just across from you guys! They like to keep it a bit different and seperate from the Bcomms, as it's a BSc, but that means i can't find anything online about it.

TO be honest man, i don't think i even got 25%. No one to blame but myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

I had one repeat there the last day, think I might have passed but I want to find out my options in case I didn't!

The exam I failed was Anatomy, from what I gather I wouldn't have to repeat the entire year, just that module, but the thing is my course only does Anatomy in semester 2 so if I were to repeat it then what would that mean for semester 1? Would I just not attend college for all of semester 1 and then come back in semester 2 to repeat the module? :/

Yeah you'd have nothing to do for Sem I. So get a job or if possible sit in on either the lectures you passed to refresh or maybe the next years lectures.

Got some good news today.

I called in to the department for my results and they told me I passed.

Will get my official results on Friday.

What a relief.

Thanks for all the advice and good luck for the new year.

Congrats, man. Must be a load off your mind.

Advertisement