Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV on/off issue

Options
  • 09-08-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 year old Samsung HD Tv which has recently started to make clicking sounds when you switch it on ( like a relay) and it can take up to 30 seconds to switch on.

I googled this problem and it seems its very common in Samsung TV's and is caused by under spec capacitors that Samsung used. Has any one come across this problem and tried dealing with Samsung to get a free repair.

There was a class action lawsuit settled by Samsung in the USA . Anyone got the phone number of Samsung Ireland After Sales Service. I know Bavs.ie are authorised agents but want to try ringing Samsung direct.

Thanks for any help
    DAK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There was a thread here a while back - with some pics of how to fix it.

In my personal opinion 4 years would be 'reasonable' for a TV so I'd just phone round and get the best quote on getting it fixed.

From a few accounts Samsung are a nightmare to deal with directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

dak wrote: »
    I have a 4 year old Samsung HD Tv which has recently started to make clicking sounds when you switch it on ( like a relay) and it can take up to 30 seconds to switch on.

I googled this problem and it seems its very common in Samsung TV's and is caused by under spec capacitors that Samsung used. Has any one come across this problem and tried dealing with Samsung to get a free repair.

There was a class action lawsuit settled by Samsung in the USA . Anyone got the phone number of Samsung Ireland After Sales Service. I know Bavs.ie are authorised agents but want to try ringing Samsung direct.

Thanks for any help
    DAK

Call Product & Customer Support

Telephone Support
    To assist our customer service team, please have your model number, serial number and date of purchase ready when calling Samsung products: 0818 717100
    Monday – Saturday: 9am – 6pm
    Sunday: CLOSED

Please note that our opening hours may change on public and bank holidays. To maintain and improve the quality of our service, we may monitor and/or record telephone calls.

If you need to call us from overseas,

or prefer not to use 0818 717 100, you can call +44 (0)1932 454358. Call costs vary - please contact your provider for details.
    I'm near sure they're gonna make you do it all through their site though,

Register product
    Tracking page

In my personal opinion 4 years would be 'reasonable' for a TV so I'd just phone round and get the best quote on getting it fixed.

Depends on original price, someone quoted a small claim judge saying 7 years if purchase price was €1500+.

Feck samsung and their mainboard joined to screen TVs, can't beat LG. Or Normende even.

Depends on original price, someone quoted a small claim judge saying 7 years if purchase price was €1500+.

Either that person was wrong or that judge was wrong on a fundamental point of law. The statute of limitations is six years. I dunno maybe the judge was just saying thats how long it should last.

Price doesn't really come into it though - €1,000,000 worth of caviar isn't expected to last as long as a .49c can of beans - its product dependent a €1500 32" LCD would be the dogs naughty bits and expected to last years. A €1500 80" LCD would be a cheap ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Go to retailer you bought it from, ask for replacement. They'll get in touch with Samsung and then tell you it's out of warranty. Send letter stating you'll take them to court. TV will then be replaced by Samsung.

I did it with a Samsung that was a similar time out of warranty. Any TV over a grand you should be good up to 6 years under EU law.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Go to retailer you bought it from, ask for replacement. They'll get in touch with Samsung and then tell you it's out of warranty. Send letter stating you'll take them to court. TV will then be replaced by Samsung.

I did it with a Samsung that was a similar time out of warranty. Any TV over a grand you should be good up to 6 years under EU law.

You get to make your case for up to six years (Statute of Limitations) under Irish Law - in other EU countries it can be as low as 2 years. Please be aware that is make your case - not a six year warranty. The only 'EU Law' on the subject is that member states must have a minimum of 2 years in their equivilant of a SoL.

OP most retailers / manufacturers are wise to people threatening to go legal and will simply ignore you until the paperwork arrives. It's €25 for a SmCC claim - if you think a TV lasting over 4 years is reasonable then write a letter giving them 14 days to resolve the issue or you may take it further. Don;t expect this to get much mileage though - you'll have to send in the actual claim. Note it's the retailer you have the contract with so it's only them you can claim against in the SmCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Rang Retailer and they sent me Samsung details and copy of my receipt. Rang Samsung , gave model and serial no, told them it was a capacitor issue.

They checked list and advised my model number was on the faulty capacitor list.. have now a service reference number and an engineer is calling out FOC to fix.

Happy days and vey happy with Customerservice in both retailer DID and Samsung.

Nice one! Thanks for the update as well!

Seems like there are at least some of Samsung's departments on the ball.

Expected life span for an LCD Panel is 20000 to 25000 hours rather than number of years .

My TV has approx 9000 hours on the clock so not even half way through its expected lifespan

There was a thread here a while back - with some pics of how to fix it.

Be careful - is that the panel or the TV? Where are you getting those specs from?

I love a happy ending but I don't like people being given absolutes in advice unless there is back up. There seems to be a lot of emotion when it comes to faulty products rather than objective facts.

That said the very first thing I should have said, and the be fair what you asked for and what was given by the very next poster, is ask the retailer and manufacturer first if there is anything they can do.

http://www.ledinside.com/interview/2009/9/interview_Samsung_LEDTV_20090930_en

I also like facts . Thank goodness for the web . If I hadn't found out about the capacitor issue with Samsung TV's I,m sure I'd be forking out €150/200 to a tv repair man for a manufacturing fault.

You can get the hours on the clock for a Samsung TV if you know the engineering code sequence for your remote control.

• Advertisement

That's certain components under ideal conditions - they make no contract - not that they could as your contract would be with the seller. Given the SmCC meetings are normally informal affairs I'd say (from almost no experience) you'd probably be able to present that and it might even be persuasive. Bear in mind we're talking about a claim against the retailer here - claiming against Samsung would be a whole different animal - but certainly wouldn't be a €25 jobbie in front of a registrar. :D

As I say though 4 years is just my personal opinion and as my initial advice was completely wrong I'll eat my slice of humble pie.

Glad you got it resolved and we can point people in the right direction now - well until we see what they do when the SoL runs out against the retailers! Keep us updated with how long the engineer took to come out - what the outcome etc was please?

Happy to advise that Engineer from bavs.ie arrived this morning and replaced all 5 capacitors with higher rated ones Free of Charge. Good to go for another few years !

All in all very happy with Samsung and their agents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Great to know, thanks for updating!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cu

This problem started last night with my 5 year old Samsung LCD TV and after reading above and http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=190198 i called Samsung this morning.
    I told them straight that i had read online that this is a common problem due to under spec conductors and that there was a lawsuit in USA about this. They never asked how old it is or when i bought it, just got Model and Serial no and arranging for an engineer to call within 24hrs to arrange to call to the house to fix it.

Happy Days - so far.
    Will update when engineer been to let you know if problem was fixed.

Happy to report that my Samsung TV is now fixed.
    Engineers phoned and came and collected it the day after i had called Samsung. It was returned to me yesterday (6 days later) and they confirmed that the problem was the conductors and thet they have now been replaced. Didnt have to pay anything.
    Very happy with service from Samsung and hope to have a working TV for another few year now.

If anyone comes across this thread and has the same problem with their Samsung TV, call them!! It will be worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

My 5 year old TV recently started clicking every time I go to turn. Googled it and ended up here. Might open it up and have a look at the capacitors but sounds like I'll be giving Samsung a call to get it fixed.

fran426ft wrote: »
    My 5 year old TV recently started clicking every time I go to turn. Googled it and ended up here. Might open it up and have a look at the capacitors but sounds like I'll be giving Samsung a call to get it fixed.

I would just call Samsung ig i was you and tell them about info you have got on this page. They will sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

My Samsumg monitor use to turn itself off, bought it from a reatiler (german) through amazon. They were happy for me to send it to them, bauked at the cost of sendiong it to germany and fair play to them, they emailed me a label for posting, gone for repairs so an email has stated, so hopefully it wont be much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭GavPJ

My 6 year old Samsung LCD TV wouldnt turn on unless it was left switched on for a couple of hours.

Emailed Samsung, they sent Craigavon TV down 2 days later to collect it and I will have it back repaired within 5 days.

No need to go messing round with it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement