Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Irish People Who Get Emotional for their Sporting 'Heroes' Messed Up?

• 09-08-2012 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

At the end of the day you are just dealing with a dopamine rush in your pre-frontal cortex generated by mass media and marketing hype.

Does is pay your bills?

Does it make your life meaningful?

Does it provide anything other than a spasm of fleeting contentment before the next neuro-chemical rush?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

At the end of the day you are just dealing with a dopamine rush in your pre-frontal generated by mass media and marketing hype.

Does is pay your bills?

Does it provide anything other than a spasm of fleeting contentment before the next neuro-chemical rush?

In answer to your original question.
    NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Sure what else would we be doing ?? Bray is nice on a good sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Yeah, and why watch films or read a book?

Why look at a sunset?

Why write bitter posts on the internet?

Will any of that nonsense put food on the table?

At the end of the day you are just dealing with a dopamine rush in your pre-frontal cortex generated by mass media and marketing hype.

Does is pay your bills?

And btw, you could ask the same questions of any human emotions and get pretty much the same answers.
    I also find it strange that questions of such nature come from a person with an appropriate username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I agree it can get over the top at times,I cringed slightly with the racket we created at the boxing today, and at the euros. but we havent had much to shout about in recent times, so what heck, lets party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does is pay your bills?

I suppose it would if you were a sports journalist....

WumBuster wrote: »
    I agree it can get over the top at times,I cringed slightly with the racket we created at the boxing today, and at the euros. but we havent had much to shout about in recent times, so what heck, lets party.

Life is short. Make the most of the good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

No way, with the Olympics its 4 years (at least) of hard training, a lifetime of ambition, all down to a couple of matches, in katie taylors case.

Im made of stone and I had tears in my eyes watching it. I was very proud to witness it and extremely happy for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The angry **** / camel-lights combo

Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Pays the bills if you had bet on it.

Was a little off when people were jeering the other fighter at the start though. Definitely bad form and a lack of respect for the effort she had put in as well. Is an amateur level after all. Was nearly expecting a rocky moment when the crowd might suddenly start cheering for the Russian if she started to beat her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

No because they're fans.
    Short for fanatics. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Does is pay your bills?

It's pure pride:pac: I dont even watch sports and I was on tenterhooks watching Katie fight today!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

When i am in the bath i imagine i am in the Olympics,on the home stretch of the 100m freestyle final on my way to a gold medal for Ireland,then all of a sudden a duck gets in my way and messes up my stroke,i try to get my rhythm back but its to late,the duck has ruined my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Does is pay your bills?

Yes you are right and you just shown me the errors of my ways, I am never watching sport again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

When i am in the bath i imagine i am in the Olympics,on the home stretch of the 100m freestyle final on my way to a gold medal for Ireland,then all of a sudden a duck gets in my way and messes up my stroke,i try to get my rhythm back but its to late,the duck has ruined my life.

http://www.funkylighting.com/rubber--duck-vibrator-massager-adult-bath-toy-731-p.asp

My duck always gets in the way of my strokes in the bath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

They are not messed up. Just human. On a more serious note when is your next appearance at Knock? I want to get in before the rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

She's the lady of knock, not Knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Next you'll be telling us that having a **** while slipping a greased up finger up the bum is pointless. Well, it makes my life meaningful god dam it

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

I don't know what some people's problem is. Can you not enjoy someone else being successful? Someone from your country representing your nation.

I get emotional watching people represent our country. Standing in Poznan singing the national anthem I had tears in my eyes and i don't mind saying it.

I know hating Ireland is the in thing in AH but I live in england and I miss Ireland Everyday. Supporting our sporting "heroes" (hate that phrase) makes me feel closer to home and I feel so proud of the people representing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Does is pay your bills?

Is this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056722916 stealing your thunder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Does is pay your bills?

You could say the same thing about trolling, and yet here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does is pay your bills?

Im messed up and I'm proud.

Your argument could be used for sex too, with out which gingers the species would die out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Cienciano wrote: »
    Next you'll be telling us that having a **** while slipping a greased up finger up the bum is pointless. Well, it makes my life meaningful god dam it

hope you weren't doing that whilst watching the boxing

Cienciano wrote: »

It's never pointless my friend, trust me on that ;)

:pac:

fryup wrote: »

:o

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

fryup wrote: »

In fairness betweeen the hitting and the hugging, its understandable he'd be confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Does is pay your bills?

OurLadyofKnock seems to have disappeared.

Our Lady of Pride has lifted us to such a degree that we all forgot for a moment, the cloud hanging over us.

Well Done, Katie!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement