Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Citizen moving to Citywest - areas to live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

awec wrote: »
    +1 Dundrum

One of Europes biggest shopping centres on your doorstep, a 20 minute Luas (tram) into Dublin city centre, quiet enough area and not too much of a commute to citywest.

Lol, cute.

It is however a long way from being one of Europes biggest shopping centres at just 80k sq m compared to Istanbul's 420k sq m monstermall. The big shopping centres in the UK and Europe are between 140k and 300k sq m.

Don't believe Dundrum's hype :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Another vote for Dundrum for me, has everything you need really and is a nice area,

or as a second thought ifyou are looking for somewhere closer and that has all the amenities you need you couldnt go wrong with Clondalkin, specifically looking at Newlands, Monastery and Floraville. All with good transport links, close to Clondalkin village which has all the amenities you could need in shopping centres, restauraunts, pubs with openings and with Liffey Valley shoppin centre a short distance away outside of the village. Mondastery was actually built to be more like an American suburban estate as far as I know.

It's worth mentioning the need to avoid the likes of Neilstown. Clondalkin has some rough areas too, I guess you could advise better than I could?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MadsL wrote: »
    Lol, cute.

It is however a long way from being one of Europes biggest shopping centres at just 80k sq m compared to Istanbul's 420k sq m monstermall. The big shopping centres in the UK and Europe are between 140k and 300k sq m.

Don't believe Dundrum's hype :)
    Ah wait it's biggest capital city based. My bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning the need to avoid the likes of Neilstown. Clondalkin has some rough areas too, I guess you could advise better than I could?

Yeh that is true, sorry areas to look at top of the list would be Monastery, Floraville, Monastery Rise, Laurel Park and Castle Park as there all really nice areas and within a couple of minutes walk from Clondalkin Village which has the Mill Shopping Centre, Tescos, a few restauraunts a decent nightlife in the Laurels and Quinlans, a few restauraunts like the Tree Top, The Victoria etc and every other local amenitie that you could possbly require.

To a lesser extent Cappaghmore and Newlands just as nice as the above estates but a bit further out from the central location of the village and not as close to the LUAS but still plenty of bus links into the city centre etc.

As for parts to avoid Bawnogue, Neilstown, Riversdale, anywhere in the Dutch Village, Cherrywood, Old Church not that these are all necessarily bad areas (before anyone has a go I live in one of them) its just if i was to recommend parts of Clondalkin to anyone the ones listed are the nicest, quietest areas also with central locations.

OP Clondalkin is a very short drive to Citywest.

Ah wait it's biggest capital city based.

Nope again.

London's Westfield is 168k and Roma Est is 136k to name just two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 ocsfan

I'd probably go with Dundrum, but my options are definitely limited. All I find is:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1281263

I'd like to stay below 1400 if possible, but may bite the bullet. I want to look at some in Tallaght as well - it has everything we'd need as well, no?

Thanks!!!!!
    Steve

Rathgar €1400
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1276992
    Terenure
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1256288 (€1500 but has an extra bedroom as a study)
    Redbrick Character in Terenure (1600 negotiate down)
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1279198
    Terenure
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1274811 (1500 negotiate 1400)

Newlands Cross
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1277250

Newlands Cross if ya feel like going way over budget :p

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1241582

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MadsL wrote: »
    Nope again.

London's Westfield is 168k and Roma Est is 136k to name just two.
    I meant it's one of the biggest capital city based centres, not thee biggest.

No need for the pedantry :P

I meant it's one of the biggest capital city based centres, not thee biggest.

No need for the pedantry :P

Just pointing out that Dundrum lie. They lie I tell ya.

As for pedantry, whilst someone is wrong on the internet, I shall not sleep ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

ocsfan wrote: »
    I'd probably go with Dundrum, but my options are definitely limited. All I find is:

I'd like to stay below 1400 if possible, but may bite the bullet. I want to look at some in Tallaght as well - it has everything we'd need as well, no?

Thanks!!!!!
    Steve

yep,it's pretty much a city within a city

pmcmahon wrote: »
    yep,it's pretty much a city within a city

Bit of a stretch there, if you going to say that about Tallaght you could say that about any of the major suburbs of Dublin.

Bit of a stretch there, if you going to say that about Tallaght you could say that about any of the major suburbs of Dublin.

AFAIK, Tallaght is quite a bit larger than any of the other suburbs.

CianRyan wrote: »
    AFAIK, Tallaght is quite a bit larger than any of the other suburbs.

While I do think Tallaght is the largest, there are plenty of others which could be desciribed as being a city within a city if one was to call Tallaght such.

Like Blanchardstown, Swords, Clondalkin etc. I wouldnt call any of them including Tallaght a city amongst a city to be honest, sure Dublin City Centre itself pales size wise in comparison to the likes of Paris, London etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Thanks!!!!!
    Steve

Yep - prices getting higher out in Dundrumland! If priority is your family above all I would say Dundrum might be worth upping budget for (but my bias is as woman in late 30's, who likes to walk and run, eats out a lot and loves movies, not having to drive everywhere and have easy access to shops). If priority is shorter work commute, then I'd defer to the good Tallaght/Templeogue peeps on thread. And btw I've spent last few months enjoying a 5 min commute after years of humdrum 40-60min each way journeys and can't believe the difference it's made to my life: lot to be said for it :-)

Anyway, as a native Dub, have to say that none of the ideas/suggestions on this thread will put you too far wrong, so don't over analyze and focus on enjoying the new gig and new city. Lots of good people everywhere you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would Ballinteer not be a option...? Close to the M50 for work and very close to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Dub13 wrote: »
    Would Ballinteer not be a option...? Close to the M50 for work and very close to Dundrum.

I was going to suggest this as a slightly cheaper option than Dundrum but having searched Daft there are literally no houses in Ballinteer at the moment to suit his needs! However if houses were to come available it would be a suitable area. You have Dundrum Shopping Centre, Dundrum Cinema, the Dublin Mountains right there, Marlay Park, a lot of young people around, plenty of schools and also good commuting system to city centre by luas and buses.

Other than Ballinteer i would recommend Rathfarnham, Ranelagh (if you can afford it). I Sandyford would be a bit too far out, depending which part.

Also, maybe the mods could set up a Tallaght Forum, it seems like a hot topic :D

Also, maybe the mods could set up a Tallaght Forum, it seems like a hot topic :D

It being "a city within a city" and all. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Make a request in the forum requests if you want a tallaght forum. Here aint the place to be discussing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

MarkMc wrote: »
    Make a request in the forum requests if you want a tallaght forum. Here aint the place to be discussing it

i was being sarcastic :)

• Advertisement

While I do think Tallaght is the largest, there are plenty of others which could be desciribed as being a city within a city if one was to call Tallaght such.

Like Blanchardstown, Swords, Clondalkin etc. I wouldnt call any of them including Tallaght a city amongst a city to be honest, sure Dublin City Centre itself pales size wise in comparison to the likes of Paris, London etc.

Tallaght is much bigger than all three.

Suprisingly 71,467 population, almost the same as Galway.

My point still stands it not a city, starting to sound like Cork now proclaiming to be the real capital.

My point still stands it not a city, starting to sound like Cork now proclaiming to be the real capital.
    I never etched that tallaght was a city,it has the amenities of any city in Ireland,but it's not a city.

Would you call waterford city a city?

I never etched that tallaght was a city,it has the amenities of any city in Ireland,but it's not a city.

Would you call waterford city a city?

Yeh but so do a lot of places in Dublin have the amenities of a city like the ones i listed ;).

Not really no id call it a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 longlooker

Hello. My advice, move to templeogue, or ranelagh. I too have young kids and these areas are great, schools, games, and for you great choices regarding eateries, cinema, near town etc. my partner is not from here and fitted in real quick. Good luck and hope you have a good experience here

Thanks so much to all for the great help and suggestions. I'm looking at Tallaght a lot more, since it's so close to work. Can you all suggest areas of Tallaght that are good? I'm thinking about just south of the Square. Just south of the N81 near the Sean Walsh park.

I'm open to lots of areas, but it seems hard to find many options between 1200 and 1350/1400 AND where we'd be within walking distance to a shopping centre or "downtown" area of shopping... Would be real nice if possible.

@longlooker: My kids are actually older (one is 17, one is 20). Definitely looking at those two areas, but again, just not many options of 3 bed, 2 bath close to shopping.

@ocsfan

Have you considered a short-term rent (2-3 months) to really get to know Dublin before committing to a lease.

If you will forgive me saying, you do seem to be rather adamant about your needs (short commute) rather than your daughters' experience of a new country.
    Not trying to be hostile, just an observation.

Thanks so much to all for the great help and suggestions. I'm looking at Tallaght a lot more, since it's so close to work. Can you all suggest areas of Tallaght that are good? I'm thinking about just south of the Square. Just south of the N81 near the Sean Walsh park.

I'm open to lots of areas, but it seems hard to find many options between 1200 and 1350/1400 AND where we'd be within walking distance to a shopping centre or "downtown" area of shopping... Would be real nice if possible.

@longlooker: My kids are actually older (one is 17, one is 20). Definitely looking at those two areas, but again, just not many options of 3 bed, 2 bath close to shopping.

If you end up there we'll be living very close by, feel free to ask any questions you have about the area or if you want me to get a picture of the area a house is in I'd be happy to help. :)

• Advertisement

@MadsL - To be really honest, I'm not that concerned about the commute - I don't mind looking in areas like Rathfarnham, Dundrum, etc., but when I check daft, there just aren't many options... I'd say my biggest concern is living in a place where the girls (wife and two older/grown daughters) can walk to local shopping, if possible. I was originally looking in Bray, in fact, but thought that might be a bit too far and I've heard that it's hit-or-miss as well. I'd like to be along the red line so the girls can head into the City when possible. Rent tends to be more in the 1400+ range though, and I'd say cost is a bit of a factor - would like to keep it definitely below or at the very max at 1400..

It's kind of hard with daft, though, because I don't know all of the towns to select in the drop-down. :) I think I've caught them all, though...

Thanks!

Advertisement