Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Citizen moving to Citywest - areas to live?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

ocsfan wrote: »
    @MadsL - To be really honest, I'm not that concerned about the commute - I don't mind looking in areas like Rathfarnham, Dundrum, etc., but when I check daft, there just aren't many options... I'd say my biggest concern is living in a place where the girls (wife and two older/grown daughters) can walk to local shopping, if possible. I was originally looking in Bray, in fact, but thought that might be a bit too far and I've heard that it's hit-or-miss as well. I'd like to be along the red line so the girls can head into the City when possible. Rent tends to be more in the 1400+ range though, and I'd say cost is a bit of a factor - would like to keep it definitely below or at the very max at 1400..

It's kind of hard with daft, though, because I don't know all of the towns to select in the drop-down. :) I think I've caught them all, though...

Thanks!

As I said - if you can try and rent on a short-term basis until you get established. I've just done the opposite direction emigration and a temporary base was useful to get the lie of the land before committing to a location.

Admittedly we also had a great realtor, and they simply don't exist in Ireland, estate agents by and large are not as helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

@Ocsfan, Just a thought and i'm open to correction but would you consider the Northside? I've recently moved out to Baldoyle and it's on the DART line (for the girls going shopping) which has you in the city centre in 15 mins.

You're only a few minutes from the M50 which should have you in Citywest pretty quickly (I'd imagine, I've never done the commute, I'm sure others will know).

I've seen pretty new 4 bed 3 bath places in Clongriffin for about €1200 ish a month. It's worth a look I'd say.

My wife (she's American) like it out here too if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ocsfan wrote: »
    Thanks so much to all for the great help and suggestions. I'm looking at Tallaght a lot more, since it's so close to work. Can you all suggest areas of Tallaght that are good? I'm thinking about just south of the Square. Just south of the N81 near the Sean Walsh park.

I'm open to lots of areas, but it seems hard to find many options between 1200 and 1350/1400 AND where we'd be within walking distance to a shopping centre or "downtown" area of shopping... Would be real nice if possible.

@longlooker: My kids are actually older (one is 17, one is 20). Definitely looking at those two areas, but again, just not many options of 3 bed, 2 bath close to shopping.

Belgard, Kingswood, Kilnamanagh, Glenview, Firhouse.

along these lines

http://kavanaghproperty.ie/component/jea/83-alpine-rise-belgard-heights-tallaght-dublin-24.html

quiet mature area facilitated by the luas and bus routes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

http://www.adverts.ie/property-for-rent/belgard-kingswood/2077238

Problem is these places go really fast the rental market is very dynamic so you really have to be on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ocsfan

Well, I know you've all been waiting with terrible anticipation... ;)

We decided on Rathfarnham... And then got to the house, and it was worse than a fright. Bathrooms were a horrible mess, toilet seats missing, carpet was destroyed, rugs were dirty beyond belief, appliances looked like someone had taken a golf club to them and then spread grease on them... Just bad.

So we decided to be close to work, and moved to the Citywest area - Kingswood Cross, actually. I'm about 3 minutes from work, can come home for lunch, and best: the house is very nice with almost all new appliances (cooker could be replaced, but it works fine and is clean). The landord is a great guy and has replaced the appliances, had a plumber come in to fix a leak, and has bent over backward to get the house as nice as possible. We've been here about 2 weeks and even though some things are more difficult to do, to be sure, it's been great so far. As we knew going in, there's not a lot for the girls to do in the immediate area, they're able to walk to the Luas or Citywest Shopping Centre and will be going to University soon anyway. :)

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the great people who offered suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Congrats and the best of luck to you and your family in your new place! Have a great Christmas too ;)

Advertisement