Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The definition of....

• 10-08-2012 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have a question which I was debating this evening with my uber religious mother about Ireland's outdated and intolerant view towards women which was dictated by archaic Catholic belief systems.

In Ireland a child born out was wedlock was referred to as "a b*****d baby". However I wonder does the definition still apply to a baby which was conceived before marriage but the parents married before the child was born?

Obviously all these beliefs are nonsensical and Ireland has moved beyond such outdated beliefs, however I am trying to gain an insight into what it would be like to be a twenty something lad fifty years ago when such freedoms and societal norms we take for granted now were very much taboo and outside of what was considered acceptable by society.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Does it matter?
    Why drag up such an ugly past that most people are trying to move on from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

The definition of... according to the Oxford dictionary...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bastard

I've no idea what the Catholic view is on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

There are two perspectives here, with two arguments. People who were strictly religious would probably see this as the case. Sex before marriage was a sin and subsequently getting married doesn't absolve the sin. Society in general would be more likely to look at it as a grey area and generally tolerate it, so no the child wouldn't be referred to as anything. Couples did often rush to get married after finding out they were pregnant to avoid this stigma and from societies perspective it was looked at as doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Yiz bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Women very seldom wore trousers back then. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Jon Snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

1ZRed wrote: »
    Jon Snow

The Bastard of Bolton all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hi, OP

I can leave a link here, most Forums don't like threads moved from AHs.

You can repost though.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement