Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi over 3G Network

• 10-08-2012 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello.

Having a serious panic attack here, and really need advice. I have an iPhone 4s without a data bundle as 99.9% of the time I use it in WiFi areas only - and primarily at home, where I always have the WiFi on. I have the "Mobile Data" setting turned to off, but only saw today that the "Enable 3G" setting was actually turned on, unknownst to me.

Any time I'm on the internet on the iPhone, I see two if not three of the rainbow bars of the WiFi lit, but the reason I'm panicked is the "Enable 3G" setting having been on for so long - is there any way that the phone could use the 3G network over the WiFi? I have downloaded two albums, listen to internet radio, watch tv programmes, everything on it, and I'm really very worried - esp given that I purposely don't have a data package, and be WiFi only.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it very very much. Needless to say I have since also turned off the "Enable 3G" setting, but is there anyway I can get 3G permanently blocked from my phone?

Thanks folks, and I apologise if this has touched on similar topics in this area on this forum.

EMinor7

Comments

E Minor wrote: »
    Hello.

Having a serious panic attack here, and really need advice. I have an iPhone 4s without a data bundle as 99.9% of the time I use it in WiFi areas only - and primarily at home, where I always have the WiFi on. I have the "Mobile Data" setting turned to off, but only saw today that the "Enable 3G" setting was actually turned on, unknownst to me.

Any time I'm on the internet on the iPhone, I see two if not three of the rainbow bars of the WiFi lit, but the reason I'm panicked is the "Enable 3G" setting having been on for so long - is there any way that the phone could use the 3G network over the WiFi? I have downloaded two albums, listen to internet radio, watch tv programmes, everything on it, and I'm really very worried - esp given that I purposely don't have a data package, and be WiFi only.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it very very much. Needless to say I have since also turned off the "Enable 3G" setting, but is there anyway I can get 3G permanently blocked from my phone?

Thanks folks, and I apologise if this has touched on similar topics in this area on this forum.

EMinor7
    No, once you have mobile data disabled then you're fine - this also disables mobile data over the 3G network. 3G doesn't specifically mean data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 E Minor

Thank you so much. You know when you doubt yourself?? Mobile data definitely off as if perchance I'm not in a WiFi area, I always get the warning box to tell me it's off.

Really appreciate this message, and I'll sleep easy.

Thanks again,
    E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Karsini is right.

The option to turn and off 3G is to save battery power as 3G uses more.

If the mobile data setting is off then it will only access data over wifi and not the phone network

Advertisement