Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall dashboard preview....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

It's a serious upgrade in fairness, fair play to Microsoft, finally some quality innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

miralize wrote: »

Childish for having my own opinion of his post? It came across like an absolutely spammy post about a service that no one knows about really. Is the catalogue there? Are other services like Deezer not cheaper, and not tied down to a single platform (for now)?

To be honest I never heard of Deezer either, the thing I posted was my opinion too. If you don't like my comment just be the big man and ignore it...

I'm personally excited about Xbox Music, hence why I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    It's a serious upgrade in fairness, fair play to Microsoft, finally some quality innovation.

And hopefully it will push more services to the Irish market which is good for everyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Childish for having my own opinion of his post? It came across like an absolutely spammy post about a service that no one knows about really. Is the catalogue there? Are other services like Deezer not cheaper, and not tied down to a single platform (for now)?
    It was a smart ass reply and you know it, there is no need to get so defensive about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Meesared wrote: »
    It was a smart ass reply and you know it, there is no need to get so defensive about it

I'm not getting defensive at all. I'm asking genuine questions, and concerns about a Microsoft led service. Because we all know how well Zune Music fared. If it works, it works. I dont think it will though.

They're clearly in the process of transitioning into a company like Apple where they focus on services & product rather than software alone as before. My guess is that it wont disrupt Spotify (when it does hit Ireland) and Deezer, because it's closed off, aka its only on Microsoft devices.

Apple can do it because they jump-started the online music industry. Spotify, Deezer & Rdio can be successful because they are available cross-platform, but until Microsoft starts to focus on things outside their eco-system it wont work, not for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Can't get on to Xbox music says its not available at this time try later any1 wit the same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'm not getting defensive at all. I'm asking genuine questions, and concerns about a Microsoft led service. Because we all know how well Zune Music fared. If it works, it works. I dont think it will though.

They're clearly in the process of transitioning into a company like Apple where they focus on services & product rather than software alone as before. My guess is that it wont disrupt Spotify (when it does hit Ireland) and Deezer, because it's closed off, aka its only on Microsoft devices.

Apple can do it because they jump-started the online music industry. Spotify, Deezer & Rdio can be successful because they are available cross-platform, but until Microsoft starts to focus on things outside their eco-system it wont work, not for a lot of people.
    Apple dont focus on stuff outside thier ecosystem and it works fine for them, so your argument loses some serious traction there

If you had questions about his opinion you should have asked rather than give a smart ass reply

gotthebug wrote: »
    Can't get on to Xbox music says its not available at this time try later any1 wit the same problem

On your xbox or on pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Can you use Xbox music while playing games? cheers!

Your argument is flawed...

Apple:
    No Streaming in Ireland.
    Proprietary format (AAC)
    Client only works with iDevices.
    No Mobile client outside of iDevices.
    28 Million tracks.

Deezer:
    €120 PY
    1 Offline device
    13 Million Tracks licensed in Ireland.
    Online Streaming

Spotify Et Al.
    Not available in Ireland.

Xbox Music:
    €100 PY or €10 PM
    30 Million tracks in Ireland
    No online streaming (Looking to aquire Rdio for this)
    Only MS devices (Andriod, IOS before year end 2013)
    5 offline devices not including xboxs (they don't count)
    WMA for offline tracks, MP3 for purchased tracks.

(By online streaming I mean web streaming)

And none of those include all of the other features that xbox music include like cloud playlists, smart DJ, free cloud storage and integration of your own music. Music videos which can be included in playlists.

I know it was cool to hate on MS back in the 90's but in 2012 MS is going that extra mile to allow users to freely consume their content and access it on their terms.

• Advertisement

nocoverart wrote: »
    Can you use Xbox music while playing games? cheers!

haven't tried but I would imagine not as it opens an app, I will try later and let you know.

Meesared wrote: »
    Apple dont focus on stuff outside thier ecosystem and it works fine for them, so your argument loses some serious traction there

If you had questions about his opinion you should have asked rather than give a smart ass reply

But what I'n saying is Apple have been able to make it work because they've always been like that, and they made online music popular. Microsoft doesnt have either of these.

And I dont need you to tell me how to post. I commented on the post how I saw fit.
    Dean_Mc wrote: »
    Your argument is flawed...

Apple:
    No Streaming in Ireland.
    Proprietary format (AAC)
    Client only works with iDevices.
    No Mobile client outside of iDevices.
    28 Million tracks.

Deezer:
    €120 PY
    1 Offline device
    13 Million Tracks licensed in Ireland.
    Online Streaming

Spotify Et Al.
    Not available in Ireland.

Xbox Music:
    €100 PY or €10 PM
    30 Million tracks in Ireland
    No online streaming (Looking to aquire Rdio for this)
    Only MS devices (Andriod, IOS before year end 2013)
    5 offline devices not including xboxs (they don't count)
    WMA for offline tracks, MP3 for purchased tracks.

(By online streaming I mean web streaming)

And none of those include all of the other features that xbox music include like cloud playlists, smart DJ, free cloud storage and integration of your own music. Music videos which can be included in playlists.

I know it was cool to hate on MS back in the 90's but in 2012 MS is going that extra mile to allow users to freely consume their content and access it on their terms.

You're missing the point of my post entirely.

Spotify has too much traction to Microsoft, perhaps Microsoft might buy them, but the Xbox Music brand is weak. No one listens to music on an Xbox, really...

On your xbox or on pc?
    On da Xbox

gotthebug wrote: »
    On da Xbox

You need to have the update then go search for a track using bing, any track doesn't matter, that will take you to the app, it is not offically launched yet so it is hidden.

But what I'n saying is Apple have been able to make it work because they've always been like that, and they made online music popular. Microsoft doesnt have either of these.

And I dont need you to tell me how to post. I commented on the post how I saw fit.

You're missing the point of my post entirely.

Spotify has too much traction to Microsoft, perhaps Microsoft might buy them, but the Xbox Music brand is weak. No one listens to music on an Xbox, really...

Your missing the point in fairness. Spotify will not be able to compete and xbox music is not only on the xbox, it is just another end point for the music. xbox as a brand is not weak, it is one of the strongest consumer brands about and as I have said people are already raving about it on twitter, for a service that has not officially launched yet it is already grabbing customers left right and centre.

You need to have the update then go search for a track using bing, any track doesn't matter, that will take you to the app, it is not offically launched yet so it is hidden.
    Yea done that but still saying not available at this time and that's the same since lst nite

xbox as a brand is not weak

I'll agree with that. However, I did say Xbox Music. Yes the Xbox brand is attached to that, but that it a gaming console brand. A customer could easily think that if Xbox Video Marketplace sucks, why would Xbox Music be any different?
    people are already raving about it on twitter, for a service that has not officially launched yet it is already grabbing customers left right and centre.

We definitely follow different people then, because the reaction I got was that it might be good, but that the limited end points to start the service aren't the ones necessary for it to succeed. To have a chance, this needed to be on iOS & Android on day one.

Ok let me put it this way.

Most Windows 7 and 8 laptop and pc will automatically get Xbox Music when it launches.
    Most Windows 8 Tablet will have it preloaded.
    Most Windows Phone 7 & 8 device will automatically get it.
    Most Xbox will get it.
    It will launch for android / iOS / OSX will get a client before the end of next year.

(Most meaning they are connected to the internet and in compatible regions which is most)

And to give you an idea of how far ahead of the competition this service is consider the following post launch.

I wake up in the morning and walk to the bus stop. The night before when I plugged my WP7/8 phone to the wall it auto synced my local music to my phone. I listen to this music on the way down to catch the bus. When I get on the bus I realise it has Wifi. I turn on my Win8 tablet and create a playlist from the complete 30 million online library using the tablet while listening to my phone. When the playlist is complete, I take out my phone, open the music app and see the playlist created on my tablet. I switch the phone to wifi and play the playlist while reading the news on my tablet. When I get off the bus I switch back to my local tunes (I've no credit). Once I get into work I turn on my work pc and play the playlist again but get bored of it so I press the windows key type in the name of a song I want, press down five times and enter. That song (via streaming) comes up and I hit play. While listening to the song I pin it. When I get home that pin shows up on my xbox... and my phone and any other device that I have, including the missus laptop because I am allowed 5 devices.

That my friend is the future. And the best thing is. Once Android and iOS support comes along everyone can join the party.

Most Windows 7 and 8 laptop and pc will automatically get Xbox Music when it launches. http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3502846/xbox-music-windows-7-windows-phone-support
    Most Windows 8 Tablet will have it preloaded. Reviews arent the best for ARM based Windows Tablets
    Most Windows Phone 7 & 8 device will automatically get it. Verizon in the US sold more iPhones in 12 months, than Nokia did worldwide for Windows Phones
    Most Xbox will get it. Why?
    It will launch for android / iOS / OSX will get a client before the end of next year. Not fast enough

See bolded
    I wake up in the morning and walk to the bus stop. The night before when I plugged my WP7/8 phone to the wall it auto synced my local music to my phone. I listen to this music on the way down to catch the bus. When I get on the bus I realise it has Wifi. I turn on my Win8 tablet and create a playlist from the complete 30 million online library using the tablet while listening to my phone. When the playlist is complete, I take out my phone, open the music app and see the playlist created on my tablet. I switch the phone to wifi and play the playlist while reading the news on my tablet. When I get off the bus I switch back to my local tunes (I've no credit). Once I get into work I turn on my work pc and play the playlist again but get bored of it so I press the windows key type in the name of a song I want, press down five times and enter. That song (via streaming) comes up and I hit play. While listening to the song I pin it. When I get home that pin shows up on my xbox... and my phone and any other device that I have, including the missus laptop because I am allowed 5 devices.

I do all that with my iPhone now? This is a catchup game for Microsoft. Speed is everything

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dean_Mc

Most Windows 7 and 8 laptop and pc will automatically get Xbox Music when it launches. http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3...-phone-support
    Most Windows 8 Tablet will have it preloaded. Reviews arent the best for ARM based Windows Tablets
    Most Windows Phone 7 & 8 device will automatically get it. Verizon in the US sold more iPhones, than Nokia did worldwide for Windows Phones
    Most Xbox will get it. Why?
    It will launch for android / iOS / OSX will get a client before the end of next year. Not fast enough
    See bolded

Quote:
    I do all that with my iPhone now? This is a catchup game for Microsoft. Speed is everything everything

The services I described below are already available to Zune, the stuff that matters will still be available just not with the same degree of power but the items I mentioned above will be available

The reviews of one Windows RT tablet will not spell the death of Win8, that is just clutching at straws.

The amount does not matter, it will pe preloaded.

Because the dash update contains the music service.

And no you cannot do all that, you either have to service hop or download the music before hand, there is no complete intergrated solution like the one described from the one music service.

• Advertisement

I don't get why the guy is getting all worked up...

Seriously you can use your apple stuff the way you want it. I mean no one is forcing you to use Xbox music or even come near it.

I cant see why Microsoft would put iPhone and Android devices before their own anyway. Yeah its a bummer but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Not impressed if Im to be honest. Its just yet another year go by that MS doesnt add anything of any substance to improve gaming on ...shock horror...its gaming console.

I bought a console to actually play games, I have a laptop and smartphones if I want to browse the web, listen to youtube and go on social media. I use torrents if I want music, movies or tv. Worst case I use my cable provider for that. - All well established media platforms that already work, already fit into my life and are convenient.

I dont need or want a half baked browser, I dont want a half baked app for youtube and I definitely dont care to have yet another music streaming service in an already crowded music streaming service arena when like it or not torrents arent going anywhere soon and are a better option.

I had a windows phone, I used the remote app once and saw it for the total fad it was and never used it again. Having a phone control my xbox was useless because whats already right there and the best control experience.... a controller. Using a phone is trying to fill a hole that just doenst exist. Same with smart glass. No one is impressed with second screen maps or inventories from the Wii U camp so why is the same concept deemed worthy by MS? God only knows.

MS is trying to add functionality to a device where the same functionality already exists in more convenient and fully fledged forms in peoples homes.
    As a very average gamer I can say ... I already have a great way to get music movies and tv in my house, I dont need a worse option on my console thanks. I already have a great fast and convenient browser on my computer and dont need another slower less convenient one on my console thanks. Please stop trying to make a games console more than what it is by adding half baked ideas. When I go into my games room ; take two guesses what Im there to actually do... now try make THAT experience better and I wont consider leaving to go to Sony at e3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lads its just a new dashboard update, its not a brand new console they have released. How where they going to make gaming better?

If you don't like the apps then don't use them, nobody is forcing you to.

Imagine if you could not access Sky, Netflix or Music from your console and it was possible on another console.... I know what console I would be buying.

Any site to stream tv shows and films on the browser like project free tv

Lads its just a new dashboard update, its not a brand new console they have released. How where they going to make gaming better?

If you don't like the apps then don't use them, nobody is forcing you to.

I think anyone is right at being disappointed in MS 's current direction . Sure no one is forced to use the apps but the same time money and effort that pre 3 years ago that would have gone into developing or improving the gaming experience is now going into half hearted apps and follies into web browsing on a bleeding games console of all things.

Imagine if you could not access Sky, Netflix or Music from your console and it was possible on another console.... I know what console I would be buying.

So MS should ignore improving their gaming experience in favor of trying to get it to do half arsed failures at everything else just for the sake of keeping up with the jonese? If you had a games console and company that actually remembered why the are where they are ....ah hem, GAMES.... then I know what I'd be buying. The ps1 arguably brought gaming into a new mainstream era because at its core it was an excellent games machine with focus on building a strong library and mature audience. If anything MS direction the last few years is trying to appeal to younger people with no access to their own computer (and subsequently none of their own spending power) and is a dud move. Hardcore is now a term used for anyone who just plays games on their games console and thats sad, its those people that drove MS to their current position and market base with sales of a hardcore console - the original xbox - and now they want to turn coat and hold that cash while making the grab for casuals cash with netflix , social media and a web browser. Its a very stupid move considering hardcore gamers hold their hobby dear and feel very strong ties to their chosen brand, when you betray people who trusted you and have strong feelings for that trust it never works out and hardcore gamers will feel a tangible sense of betrayal that wont be quickly forgotten.

Sony makes a very strong case that they are interested in games FIRST and additional apps second with strong first party support and hardware updates and I being a harcore MS fan since the original xbox will most definitely be paying attention to them come e3 becuase frankly; Microsoft dont care about games on their "games console" anymore.

Well on my own choices two years ago I picked the Xbox over PS3 because it was a better entertainment hub.

It could play movies, music and play games, plus Kinect is great fun with the family.

Just gaming is a very narrow minded way of looking at it. I think the main reason why MS is moving so more towards general entertainment is because it released figures that majority of people use it for entertainment rather than gaming. Its a great extra source of revenue and it keep the Xbox a relative brand.

You might not think that their doing the right moves. To some people it might seem that their doing all the right stuff.

How much is Sony doing for PS3 owners? **** all

Tbh for the past 6 months all I ever used my Xbox for is for using YouTube, Dailymotion, playing The Walking Dead and some other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I've no need for IE really or most other things on the xbox but it's rather convenient they're adding these features

Nice to know that if I'm elsewhere apart from home and bring my xbox with me I can watch tv, play games, music and browse the internet

I have an android phone and will welcome any app that comes but I got the thing to play games on

Tis grand

It could play movies, music and play games, plus Kinect is great fun with the family.

Just gaming is a very narrow minded way of looking at it. I think the main reason why MS is moving so more towards general entertainment is because it released figures that majority of people use it for entertainment rather than gaming. Its a great extra source of revenue and it keep the Xbox a relative brand.

You might not think that their doing the right moves. To some people it might seem that their doing all the right stuff.

Yet there are far more free, convenient and better suited ways to get entertainment for movies , music and tv for the entire family in the living room with a laptop and tv than a games console could ever provide but perhaps the narrow minded or unsavy casual audience dont know this and see xbox as the standard for all this but thats at the cost of gamers loosing out on the focus of a console in favor for these people.

MS are chasing money in the casual audience and screwing over their original customer base for that cash. To the casuals I would say a big sarcastic thank you for not having a clue how to get what you want and providing a market for MS to exploit at the core gamers cost. Casuals and greed have cost the pastime of core gaming dearly and this dashboard update is the final straw for me. I've had a games console since I was 5 to play games on, because I enjoy the past time. I dont buy a console for other purposes because there are far better alternatives out there and I am savy enough to know how to get those alternatives. For people like myself we have been left to rot with next to no first party support, no innovation or investment in the gaming aspect of the console and a bleak forecast along these lines to come. I hope the casuals enjoy their youtube app and web browsing on a console :confused: cause its come at an expensive price to gamers

It seems more and more like PC gaming is the way to go, the last bastion of games for gamers by gamers. ****ty apps , console browsers, social media beacons and motion controls can bite it. They give nothing to the experience of actual gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

hightower1 wrote: »
    Not impressed if Im to be honest. Its just yet another year go by that MS doesnt add anything of any substance to improve gaming on ...shock horror...its gaming console.

I think they have the gaming side of things pretty nailed down:

You put a game disc in - it plays
    You can download from xbl - it plays
    You have a list of all recently played games
    You can now pin game launchers {i think} too

Seriously, what more can they do for you? Personally the netflix & youtube apps are brilliant I think. It keeps the console competitive, relevant & fresh.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think they have the gaming side of things pretty nailed down:

You put a game disc in - it plays
    You can download from xbl - it plays
    You have a list of all recently played games
    You can now pin game launchers {i think} too

Seriously, what more can they do for you? Personally the netflix & youtube apps are brilliant I think. It keeps the console competitive, relevant & fresh.

Well for a start they could spend all this time , money and effort on actual games instead of the paltry first party line up they have put out. Ya know, a little thing like actual games to play on the games console rather than having an apps console.

Im done with MS at this stage, they dont want gamers they want casuals more interested in apps rather than the true purpose of the machine. Come E3 they will 180 and put on a show saying they are focused on hardcore gaming ... up to the point where core gamers drive the cost of manufacturing down then they abandon them again for the casual cash cows. Im off to PC gaming, cause I actually want to play games.

Advertisement