Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is life worth living after 35?

• 10-08-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I think 35 is the maximum amount of years that a human can really enjoy life to the fullest,its all downhill from there.

Am i wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Depends on whether the OP is over 35 or under 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're obviously under 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

murpho999 wrote: »

You're obviously 35 or over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

It's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I hope they send me to the farm when i hit 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Fukcen No I agree with the Logan Run philosophy once you reach 35 a light flashes in your hand and you go to carousel to be reborn as a baby.

Its actually alright you still have your hopes dreams and an erection in the morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

As long as whoever you share you bed with stays under the age of 35 then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

OP..You too will get old..just remember your sunscreen and you will be fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I think 35 is the maximum amount of years that a human can really enjoy life to the fullest,its all downhill from there.

Am i wrong?
    Thats when I got sober, are you saying I was to late ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

O.A.P wrote: »
    Thats when I got sober, are you saying I was to late ?

No,not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

If you're straight yeah.

If you're gay no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I feel pretty, oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gaaaaaaay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Most people's lives are very uncertain and often stressfull in their late teens and 20's with the pressure of exams,finding work, relationships etc. By 35 you would expect to have alot of these things sorted which allows time for the finer things in life. Thats just how things have worked out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Most people's lives are very uncertain and often stressfull in their late teens and 20's with the pressure of exams,finding work, relationships etc. By 35 you would expect to have alot of these things sorted which allows time for the finer things in life. Thats just how things have worked out for me

I hope to god you're right. I'm 22 and feel like like my life is slowly but surely going down the toilet. At least I'll leave one hell of a skidmark on the bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My friend's parents are 46 and 49. They go out partying more than he does. They drink, smoke, do drugs and still get up in the morning and go to work. They are great parents to their kids but they still don't feel like they're too old to go out and have fun.

They're a great example of being able to have fun even if your life is full of responsibilities. I want to emulate them when I reach that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Gi joe! wrote: »
    I hope to god you're right. I'm 22 and feel like like my life is slowly but surely going down the toilet. At least I'll leave one hell of a skidmark on the bowl.

My Da is 62 and I don't know anyone who is happier with their life then him:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I'm 37 and I still have the will to live, oddly enough.

You know the saying - youth is wasted on the young.:pac::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Love these uplifting threads at this hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Got a 74 year old Dad here; came home from playing cards in the pub half an hour ago, talked to the dogs and then he fell asleep on the chair until I walked him up to bed. In the morning, the woman in charge of his life will make his breakfast, order him to do some work, and then he can play with his mates again.

He's basically 16 & on Summer Holidays. Yes OP, as far as I can see, life repeats itself. It does not end at 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Love these uplifting threads at this hour.

Its the hour for thinking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I should hope not as I am a few years past it.

I have more confidence & a lot happier these days. Know what I am doing now which helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm 26 and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do and the type of person I want to be, I don't expect to be done and dusted at 35.

There's plenty of books to read and music to enjoy, people to meet, places to see... I don't think I'll have experienced enough in 9 years to venture into oblivion with a sense of accomplishment.

OP, you've either had a massively full life, an unbelievably empty one or you're just attacking us with a second-rate brand of "old people suck"-style humour. Either way I vote YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Doesnt matter, OP. Omar's coming. You'll barely hit your twenties anyway before there's a shooting:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

The worst part of being 35 and older is the realisation of how woefully ignorant you were as a young adult. After all, ignorance is bliss. I miss that bliss sometimes... other times, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

OP download and watch the movie 'Logans Run' i think you might enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm 42. At 35 i met a girl 13yrs my junior. 18 months later we got married. We sold my house and bought a fabulous new one outside of town. I have a 2yr old daughter and another child due in 3 weeks. We both have decent secure jobs (although money can be tight at times) I am healthy and reasonably fit. I still go out for a few pints now and then although I'm happier lying on the sofa watching a film or whatever. I am happy, my age doesn't matter. I've lived more in the last 7 years than I did in the previous 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Life just gets more epic after 35...

you-will-never-party-this-hard.jpg

(I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Am i wrong?

Oh you subtle troll you. No doubt you're under 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm going to be 35 very soon, and think there's still loads of living to do- things to do, books to read, places to visit. I'm loving my 30s so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Am i wrong?

Yes you are, and everybody who is 34 will disagree with you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm 35, it's great, you can finally get reasonable insurance on decent cars. On the downside, the "decent car" will probably be some sort of people carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Am i wrong?

Yes, you're so very wrong. For me it only started to get really good around 35 and has steadily got better since then. Now, at the grand old age of 43, I look back at my twenties and think thank fukc they're done and dusted - wild horses wouldn't drag me back to those years even though I was travelling and partying a lot more then (which was great) but the angst and the 'what will I do with my life' worries and the insecurities about my appearance, insecurities about what people thought of me, insecurities about my future, all added up to a whole lot of bullsh!t worrying about stuff that didn't need to be worried about at all.

The parties don't have to stop - they haven't for me - in fact, last night I had a date with a very handsome, very charming 29 year old South American man. I'm still making new friends, finding new things to try - I've recently started learning how to play the ukulele and hope to attend a ukulele hooley soon to meet other ukulele players just for the hell of it. The only objective being to enjoy a bit of lighthearted fun, some silliness and hopefully have a laugh, all while meeting new people and broadening my horizons without feeling the need to be successful or talented or even any good at playing.

I'd never have even thought of doing that in my twenties because I was so caught up with worrying about stuff that ultimately turned out not to matter at all.

Look after your health and fitness though, that's the only advice I'd give. I've always cycled, starting back when I was in school as my mode of transport, and I'm so glad I did because it has helped keep me in good shape both aesthetically and health-wise. Once you've got your health, the only thing stopping you from being able to enjoy life after 35 will be your own bad attitude (barring unexpected traumatic life events and depression - which have no respect for age; youth won't keep them at bay if they decide to come for you).

In short (she says after writing a long post) life is well worth living after 35, it may even turn out to be more worth living than it ever was. It did for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

It is if you are doing it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Retarded question to be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm over 35 been there done that,today I'm packing up the boat going messing about on the water doing a bit of fishing and then the pub. Life is as good as you let it be at any age. :D
    206765_220102598005592_219902491358936_1041349_8370005_n-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Am i wrong?

Yes, very much so.
    Life actually gets far more enjoyable, once you're over the insecurities of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Am i wrong?

Maybe at 36 you will have more sense :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I'm loving being in my 40s. The amount of women that are out there that I find hot as hell is amazing, from their 20s to their 50s.

I'm loving seeing the kids grow up and aiming to achieve their dreams in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I only have two regrets in life, not knowing what I do now when I was in my 20s & not recognising the threesome with two girls I worked with which was being offered to me when I was 22.

These two things are partially related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

murpho999 wrote: »
    +1, its funny the way the "over the hill" age keeps on getting higher & higher. I remember trying to get into pubs at 16 or 17 and one place saying "its 23's lads", and us thinking "jaysus, 20 fecking 3, at that age they should be at home knitting watching the late late."

OP, what do you think happens to people at 35? What can't they do that say a 30 year old can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Cienciano wrote: »
    OP, what do you think happens to people at 35? What can't they do that say a 30 year old can do?

They evolve into their final form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's all downhill after you become too old to breastfeed to be honest. Turning 10 was the worst day of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's all downhill after 4 when school starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will be 36 on wednesday and to be honest i feel really depress about it.

Will be 36 on wednesday and to be honest i feel really depress about it.
    36 :eek: Jasus, now that's very old. Never mind 36, you're almost 40. Fucking 40 !!!! :eek::eek:

Happy birthday btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm actually looking forward to getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Eddie and Patsy taught me that you can still drink champagne and smoke spliffs well into your early 100s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement