Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin evolving

Options
  • 10-08-2012 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

just wanted to ask you guys if you are seeing it the same way.
    In the last couple of weeks I have finally noticed an increase in construction again. After months of nothing happening they seem to have picked up some construction in the Docklands again (new Aldi (FINALLY a supermarket in the this area !!!), the Abercrombie & Fitch in the center, the green light for the Luas connection and a couple of other things. Is it just me hoping or does Dublin seem to be picking up again.

Thanks for your replies and have a good weekend! Leeroy.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From a base level not much above zero, any construction seems to catch my eye these days. I was surprised driving through Dun Laoghaire yesterday to see two tower cranes on different jobs!

I don't think we're necessarily on the up, more bumping along the bottom. But on the other hand, that's not necessarily a bad thing as we have to start over again from some nadir.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Where exactly is this Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's one being built on the East Wall road.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I dont think it means that it's necessarily evolving, but more so a completion of buildings or projects we should have completed sooner then now.

Where I live I see more ghost estates then construction sites.

Not in the city Triangular?

• Advertisement

I'm in the city daily. But retreat to the 'burbs. I can't see the evolution.

Triangular wrote: »
    I'm in the city daily. But retreat to the 'burbs. I can't see the evolution.

There was a bidding war for my neighbours house. You'd have to travel a good bit outside the city to come across ghost estates, further than the cities suburbs, maybe the cities satellites or commuter towns.

You wouldn't. I live on the northside, in an area with a postcode that, in a car, takes about 10 minutes to get to from the spire (with no traffic). I can see ghost estates.

Where is this ghost estate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I believe that Belmayne, for a start, is distinctly ghostly.

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough Monty and Triangular, forgot about that one, completely off my radar. I haven't had reason to wonder in, is it completely deserted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yeah fair enough Monty and Triangular, forgot about that one, completely off my radar. I haven't had reason to wonder in, is it completely deserted?
    I don't know to be honest JR, I only know it by reputation.

Also the estate behind Prospect Hill on the Finglas road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

harolds cross is really picking up. all the pubs are open again, there is a new cafe opposite centra, harold engineering will be a gym soon and lidl are trying again at the old cinema site.

the northside will sadly be neglected again once things pick up (as it always was, and will be). DCC should be absolutely ashamed of themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

There are loads of ghost apartment blocks but few housing estates due to the fact that not that many were built during the bubble. Building decent family homes was not on the menu for many developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'd classify some of Sandyford Industrial Estate as a virtual ghost estate at this stage, and it'll be a while before you see any cranes appearing there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

AltAccount wrote: »
    I'd classify some of Sandyford Industrial Estate as a virtual ghost estate at this stage, and it'll be a while before you see any cranes appearing there again.

The unfinished v shaped building and the unfinished apartments over dunes have been sold and are being developed as apartments. Most of the apartments in the industrial estate have been let and about 80 sold to Cluid.
    harolds cross is really picking up. all the pubs are open again, there is a new cafe opposite centra, harold engineering will be a gym soon and lidl are trying again at the old cinema site.

the northside will sadly be neglected again once things pick up (as it always was, and will be). DCC should be absolutely ashamed of themselves

Aldi, Lidl and Tesco have had planning approved in Terenure village. In Rathmines Swan cinemas is starting an expansion + a new restaurant and pharmacy. Little Ass Burrito bar will be opening a new place soon. There is also a new Art Gallery going into the old fire station.
    In Ranalagh they are starting to build a new supermarket (possibly M&S)+ offices where the pool hall was.

There are also loads of new restaurants opened around the city centre Camden St/Dame st/ temple bar in the last 6months.
    Things are picking up alright,hope it keeps up.
    Restaurants are getting great deals on rent so can offer decent prices also lots of 20 to 30 somethings have held off on buying so they have more money for restaurants which is way so many are opening (there was an article in the IT about it a few months ago)

There are also a few large companies looking for Large offices around Dublin, check out the market updates from the estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Triangular wrote: »
    You wouldn't. I live on the northside, in an area with a postcode that, in a car, takes about 10 minutes to get to from the spire (with no traffic). I can see ghost estates.

I don't believe in ghost estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any office block\commercial activity is probably Nama funding the construction to finish postponed projects. The Luas(including joining the Green and Red lines) is a national project that was approved, expect more construction from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

they've started building a new bridge near O'conell, does anyone have any pictures or know what it is? Possibly for the Luas Broombridge connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    they've started building a new bridge near O'conell, does anyone have any pictures or know what it is? Possibly for the Luas Broombridge connection?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056384039

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I believe that Belmayne, for a start, is distinctly ghostly.
    is that ghostly or ghastly.

No, OP I don't think there's been a turnaround. There are some projects going on but the 'one on every street' sort of feeling that attended the Tiger Years.

Advertisement