Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

• 10-08-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

A lithuanian who was defrauding the state was ordered to leave Ireland. its hardly a punishment for him as he is living abroad already. giving out relaxed attititude towards checking passports he will probably come back again anyway. he should have been jailed as an example to others.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lithuanian-in-welfare-tourism-scam-ordered-to-leave-country-3195912.html

Hoe does it work anyway? do they fly in once a week or once a month. i think in some cases the money is paid into an Irish bank account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

hurrrrrr weeeeee goooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dey tuk ar dole!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

So did they pay for his flight home?

i heard he got a free pram too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Quick someone call joe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

to be fair, it is a big problem. It is being cut down on now, but back a few years ago, in areas where people lived between catchment areas they were only required to come into the dole office every 3 months, but had to post in a signature every month. they just had a few people left in the country while the rest went home. dole collected and all forms sent off.

saying that the ash cloud was the best thing for the dole, loads of people who could not get home to sign on were caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

saiint wrote: »
    So did they pay for his flight home?

presumably

bluewolf wrote: »
    i heard he got a free pram too

take a hike if you have no contribution to make. its a simple thread in order to find out how the process works.
    if the loophole is obvious then it should be tightened.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    hurrrrrr weeeeee goooooo

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fuinseog wrote: »
    take a hike if you have no contribution to make. its a simple thread in order to find out how the process works.

And what's your contribution? Another dole thread in AH? Whoop-dee-fucking doo.

If you want to find out how the process actually works, why not try the State Benefits forum?

• Advertisement

allibastor wrote: »
    to be fair, it is a big problem. It is being cut down on now, but back a few years ago, in areas where people lived between catchment areas they were only required to come into the dole office every 3 months, but had to post in a signature every month. they just had a few people left in the country while the rest went home. dole collected and all forms sent off.

saying that the ash cloud was the best thing for the dole, loads of people who could not get home to sign on were caught out.

I remember being unemployed in a another EU member state and they made it as difficult as possible to get anything. here it seems to be relatively easy.

If you want to find out how the process actually works, why not try the State Benefits forum?

was not aware thee was such a forum. AH is designed for pisstaking but some folk make constructive and informed contributions here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

was not aware thee was such a forum. AH is designed for pisstaking but some folk make constructive and informed contributions here as well.

Well, if you know that it's designed for pisstaking, then you should know better than to get the hump when someone takes the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Well said - Well said!

I did make a contribution, it was a joke.

And since you know AH is for pisstaking, maybe you should stop having a fit about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

here it seems to be relatively easy.
    unless youre irish

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Faolchu wrote: »
    unless youre irish

OH signed on for a year and had to go to the post office every Friday to collect, this was after 27 years working and only got the dole for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

burned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuinseog View Post
    here it seems to be relatively easy.
    unless youre irish
    exactly: 100% spot on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Proper order that they sent the kunt home, it'd cost over a grand a week to keep him in prison here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I remember being unemployed in a another EU member state and they made it as difficult as possible to get anything. here it seems to be relatively easy.

most other states do make it hard, they have the attitude that the welfare should be to help its own citizens and not some lad of the boat. over here we are just to happy to say that it should be given freely. we are way to easy on all the soft cases here.

try getting the dole in Nigeria, or Poland and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Free pram, communion paid for, free appliances, rent gets paid, free cheese, free travel, free electricity units, free phone line rental, dole scrounging lazy bum, get a job, 15%

Did I miss any?

Bartyman wrote: »
    OH signed on for a year and had to go to the post office every Friday to collect, this was after 27 years working and only got the dole for a year.

I think in some cases its paid directly into your Irish bank account.

people are hardly flying over once a week?

CJC999 wrote: »
    Proper order that they sent the kunt home, it'd cost over a grand a week to keep him in prison here.

he was going home anyway as he was not resident here so it makes the sentence all the more ridiculous.

odds_on wrote: »
    exactly: 100% spot on...

i did not say unless youre Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

2 things in this story don't add up for me.

1. Do you not have to sign on every week now? If that was the case, surely the cost of his weekly flights in and out of the country would cancel out his welfare payments?

2. If he's Lithuanian, can't he just fly back into the Ireland whenever he wants, given the fact Lithuania is an EU country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is AH so you can't make negative comments about foreign nationals defrauding the state without some numpty taking the piss out of you. Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

This thread will end well, as do all dole threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

presumably
    Presumably not unless you have evidence to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I think in some cases its paid directly into your Irish bank account.

people are hardly flying over once a week?
    Not paid into bank accounts any more, UA and UB have not been paid into bank accounts in the last few years.

www.welfare.ie/en/Forms/Documents/eft.pdf

From that link.

Jobseeker’s Payments
    Please note Jobseeker’s Payments are not normally paid into a Bank Account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dey tuk ar dole!!!

They got tired of the swans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dey tuk ar dole!!!
    Durka durr!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bloody arab traveller single mums coming over here eating our free cheese and robbing our cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

A lithuanian who was defrauding the state

Hmmm, wonder how many Irish people defraud the state...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Has Killian Forde not issued a press release yet?

Not like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

1. Do you not have to sign on every week now? If that was the case, surely the cost of his weekly flights in and out of the country would cancel out his welfare payments?

2. If he's Lithuanian, can't he just fly back into the Ireland whenever he wants, given the fact Lithuania is an EU country?

Member state of the EU and full member of the Schengen Agreement. So he can roam around without restrictions, unless he has to face criminal prosecutions in his home country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The people in the Dole office don't give a toss who signs the thing in fairness, they don't ask for ID and there's no photo on the card.

Ehhhh also rabble rabble kill them all we should become an island fortress with no foridners allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Depends on how much he was getting. Surely 188 a week isn't enough to come over once a week is it?

I get if he was in the UK, it's something like 20 pounds on the boat to hollyhead but if he was claiming multiple IDs I can understand it.

By the by... anyone want to give me some advice on how to set up multiple IDs so I can get more than 188 a week? :o
    phasers wrote: »
    The people in the Dole office don't give a toss who signs the thing in fairness, they don't ask for ID and there's no photo on the card.

Ehhhh also rabble rabble kill them all we should become an island fortress with no foridners allowed

I think they changed it up. At least they have for me in the last 4 or 5 months. You have to sign an eletric thing but I dunno what it's supposed to do. And actually yeah, that's the weird thing. They never once asmed for photo ID after starting the claim. And even then, I didn't have ID so I used my birth cert (the one that says I was born in Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

By the by... anyone want to give me some advice on how to set up multiple IDs so I can get more than 188 a week? :o
    You're welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I imagine the process is the same, or similar to what a guy I know did two years ago (He is irish by the way)

He was living in Brazil for 6 months and one of his mates was signing in for him/collecting the money. Then would western union the money over (I assume he was throwing the mate a couple of quid for his troubles, but didnt ask that)

As for these welfare tourists they pretty much do the same. Go over to ireland. get pps number. go on social and either come back once every sign in day or get someone over here to sign in for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he should have been jailed as an example to others.
    no, he should have been jaild for commiting a crime (fraud) jailing people as an example to others or to deter is no reason as it doesn't work anyway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is a good question.

I am Lithuanian myself. ( I presume I did a mistake by saying this, because I will get hanged here now ) . As a Lithuanian I can enter or exit any eu country with no extra check ups. I travel in to Ireland or out of it like any iris citizen. So can they actually ban him from here as eu citizen?
    Then again, I though you need to sign every week and physically be in there to get dole? Flying there and back is not really cheap. Misses mother died and we payed 500eu for last minute tickets.
    He was cough in Mallow ( I am from Mallow myself, but I don't know him ) and the only flight you could get to ithuania is from Dublin. 50eu train tickets from Dublin to Mallow and back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

allibastor wrote: »

yes that was the best one ever, and in flight of all the evidence, we had an FF minister mouthing off that there was no truth in it or it was an urban myth, something like that anyway. Takes on average 5 years for them to do anything about anything. banana land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

VEN wrote: »
    yes that was the best one ever, and in flight of all the evidence, ............
    alibastor wrote:
    saying that the ash cloud was the best thing for the dole, loads of people who could not get home to sign on were caught out.............

This bollocks again......

There was no evidence. The numbers that failed to sign on were of the same level as usual. However this keeps coming up because it doesn't suit people to believe otherwise.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73136199&postcount=79
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-06-17.1052.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Bloody arab traveller single mums coming over here eating our free cheese and robbing our cats.

I like everything about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

If he was Irish he would be up in court and in front of a judge.

Was there a case a few months ago of a man who cheated the system in some way and he had 11 kids or somethings. Due to his dependents the money he was claiming was a fcuk load too. I think.a prison sentence was handed to him.

One person meets the full front of the law due to fraud, the other is told to stay where ever he came from.

Is this not discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Nodin wrote: »

There was no evidence. The numbers that failed to sign on were of the same level as usual. However this keeps coming up because it doesn't suit people to believe otherwise.

How many people failed to collect their payments during the ash cloud week compared to other weeks?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    If he was Irish he would be up in court and in front of a judge. ?

Yer man was up in court and in front of a judge.

IrishAm wrote: »
    How many people failed to collect their payments during the ash cloud week compared to other weeks?

Did you bother to click on the 2nd link provided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I see he has a trophy in that newspaper pic..what was that,dole cheat of the month award :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement