Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Nodin wrote: »
    So is there a chart that logs how tolerant other countries are and the offical level tolerance extended to them here because of that?

probably not a chart, but check any guide book and see what it says about gay travellers in Poland.
    ireland is probably the most gay friendliest EU member state, possibly cos folks are afraid to say anything against them.

there was a Polish chef working for Avoca who was fired and she went to the labour court. it turned out she was fired because she made moneky noises whenever she saw a black waiter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Or maybe somebody working in the dole office was actually working and became aware of the scam? ;)
    Yeh sure, the odds of this happening are slim to none :)

I often wondered, do foreigners hire out rooms in pubs for these laughing sessions, or do they have informal gatherings in each others free houses?

more the latter.
    another subject at the laughing sessions is how easy it is to get a driving licence. answer 36 questions correctly and take to the roads. why bother with lessons? they may have recently become compulsory but ten is lessons is inadequate.where else would you have it?

fyp

did i say the word you quote me on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    probably not a (....) waiter.

Do us a favour there and explain what logic is behind the notion that we should treat foriegn nationals based on the perceived behaviour of either their state or some of their fellow nationals.
    subject at the laughing sessions is how easy it is to get a driving licence. answer 36 questions correctly and take to the roads. why bother with lessons? they may have recently become compulsory but ten is lessons is inadequate..

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/What-it-is/

Do us a favour there and explain what logic is behind the notion that we should treat foriegn nationals based on the perceived behaviour of either their state or some of their fellow nationals.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/What-it-is/

try to quote me properly please. It suggests you do not read the posts properly.

try to quote me properly please. It suggests you do not read the posts properly.

Going to answer the question now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

2 things in this story don't add up for me.

2. If he's Lithuanian, can't he just fly back into the Ireland whenever he wants, given the fact Lithuania is an EU country?
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    Member state of the EU and full member of the Schengen Agreement. So he can roam around without restrictions, unless he has to face criminal prosecutions in his home country

An EU Citizen can be the subject of an Exclusion Order, for a Non-EU citizen it's a Deportation Order.
    Had he not taken the option to leave then it would have cost us even more money - to jail him and then to enforce the exclusion order which would most likely have entailed the State paying for his flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

is not much easy to welfare on holidays, for weather is rain all the time. i will tourist in hot eu place from now on. yes, weather good now, but even that is expense on the sun to block.

and please, the free house is no internet. i ask this to you - how can i enjoy welfare holiday if not internet?

this must also change.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Free pram, communion paid for, free appliances, rent gets paid, free cheese, free travel, free electricity units, free phone line rental, dole scrounging lazy bum, get a job, 15%

Did I miss any?
    as someone who is newly on the dole can someone point me in the right direction to get some of the above as i didnt see no forms for them in my local dole office,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

the bolt wrote: »
    as someone who is newly on the dole can someone point me in the right direction to get some of the above as i didnt see no forms for them in my local dole office,
    yes, but you must make the baby for the free pram. can you make the baby?

also the cheese is bright orange. Bright Orange! is notr for to eat, is for Frisbee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You can't get prams all the time

If you want a new one then first you must leave the old pram at the busstop

Also a lot of the free stuff on that list does exist but it's for pensioners ^^^^

Thats because they won't let white Irish people have them. Foreigners only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

mikemac1 wrote: »

True.

Also, only foreign people can get free cars because they can't speak Irish.

True.

Also, only foreign people can get free cars because they can't speak Irish.

Is it not linked to bein black? Otherwise most of the country would get the freebie.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

You can't get prams all the time

Also a lot of the free stuff on that list does exist but it's for pensioners ^^^^
    i can get pension too,great little country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

An EU Citizen can be the subject of an Exclusion Order, for a Non-EU citizen it's a Deportation Order.
    Had he not taken the option to leave then it would have cost us even more money - to jail him and then to enforce the exclusion order which would most likely have entailed the State paying for his flight.

I wonder why we don't do this with more EU murderers / rapists? Out of all criminals, these are the types we don't want in this country.

Could someone serve their time in prison here and then be given an exclusion order, or is it only given in place of a custodial sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

"planned". You said he made one.

Is taking action against racism and xenophobia something to be criticised now? Please do explain.

Noddy im very sure ur a pc lets love the world type ladso ill be very careful with my words as i wouldnt want to offend your delicate sensibilities, why is addressing the very serious concern of illegal immigrants in Ireland who abuse the system xenophobic ranting , me thinks you should really look yourself straight in the mirror and say

"How would i feel if i lost my doleplace to one of them"...

And as for Racism ,it exists so please dont be so sensitive in its regard nobody here is gonna tiptoe round ya just because you believe it shouldnt exist ...Personally as an IRISHMAN born and bred i find myself hugely offended by the fact someone like you would even consider the simple fact of expressive outrage as either being racism or xenophobic ranting , hang your head in shame Celt

war_child wrote: »
    Noddy im very sure ur a pc lets love the world type ladso ill be very careful with my words as i wouldnt want to offend your delicate sensibilities, why is addressing the very serious concern of illegal immigrants in Ireland who abuse the system xenophobic ranting , me thinks you should really look yourself straight in the mirror and say

Yep, I'm a delicate little flower.

Whats a "doleplace"?

When did we get to "illegal immigrants"?

I've nothing against outrage. Its stereotyping, myths and bollocksology I object to.

• Advertisement

Its stereotyping, myths and bollocksology I object to.

You must realy hate the muck savage/ jackeen threads we have in After Hours so :o

You must realy hate the muck savage/ jackeen threads we have in After Hours so :o

Yep, but they tend to get locked and theres more taking the piss than anything else.

Thats because they won't let white Irish people have them. Foreigners only.

You bring White in to the conversation thats racism , i scream racism ,im white and Irish but racism should be universal, imhurt by black people calling me white ...gimme a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

We traveled with 3 guys from Czech and Poland through South America in 2007.
    I hung out with them for about 5 weeks,the lads were living in Rural Cork and 15 miles away from their post office.
    They didn't have to sign on except for once every 3 months,they were travelling South Anerica on their dole money that was payed in every week and they had online banking.
    They worked in Ireland previously for nearly 3 yrs,there contract finished up they went on the dole and spotted an opportunity to travel on this income.
    They came back to Ireland for a few weeks,then headed on to Africa for another tour.
    I met them again 2 years ago here and they laughed that the recession was the worst thing as now they had to pick the dole once a week from there post office and the travelling was no longer an option.
    At the time I wasn't living in Ireland and the country seemed to be doing well in 2007 but we just thought this was a once off thing the lads were doing,I look back now and I see it was fairly common.

Yep, I'm a delicate little flower.

Whats a "doleplace"?

When did we get to "illegal immigrants"?

I've nothing against outrage. Its stereotyping, myths and bollocksology I object to.

And you speak it so well lad why would you have anything against it

You bring White in to the conversation thats racism , i scream racism ,im white and Irish but racism should be universal, imhurt by black people calling me white ...gimme a house

And theres the bollocksology I referred to earlier.

• Advertisement

Ah see u recognised that , because you speak it fluently , but here u go again with your john lennon we are the world rubbish u still think the world should be fair and equal because either u are currently involved with/or actually are a foreignor , neither of which bother me totally if your working and contributing to this country , ive never had a problem with that , but ur special brand of nonsense, that with all honesty at this moment in time we are treated equally in this country is pure nonsensical drivle and should be cut off at the root post haste

because either u are currently involved with/or actually are a foreignor

Getting far too personal there tbh

Ah see u recognised that , because you speak it fluently , but here u go again with your john lennon we are the world rubbish u still think the world should be fair and equal because either u are currently involved with/or actually are a foreignor , neither of which bother me totally if your working and contributing to this country , ive never had a problem with that , but ur special brand of nonsense, that with all honesty at this moment in time we are treated equally in this country is pure nonsensical drivle and should be cut off at the root post haste

I'm unsure what John Lennons back catalogue has to do with you trying to imply that you can get a free house by claiming racism.......Not too sure what the rest of your ramble is about.

Getting far too personal there tbh

Mike ill be honest i respect your opinion many the time ,but when it comes to this its a simple line drawn in the sand as has been shown by this post ,now whilst i wouldnt go as far as to say its US against Them its very obvious that the op was stirring up somewhat of a hornets nest with this thread,

Ive been involved with a few of these threads and have stood by and just watched them unfold , but with this latest piece of information i cant abide someone defending what the article was about considering firstly it was fraud and secondly it was a foreigner , Now correct me if im wrong but the fact that someone would be entitled to money that is already being cut by the welfare and now we have someone who doesnt even reside in this country walking away with 5k and on top of that theres someone here who is defending that position , i think i am well within my rights to ask this individual if they are a foreign national ?????????????

I'm unsure what John Lennons back catalogue has to do with you trying to imply that you can get a free house by claiming racism.......Not too sure what the rest of your ramble is about.

Noddy Dont answer me unless you have a better arguement than dismissal ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Irish nationals, EU citizens and non EU citizens can avail of social housing and subsidised rent.

Are you disputing this?

Mike ill be honest i respect your opinion many the time ,but when it comes to this its a simple line drawn in the sand as has been shown by this post ,now whilst i wouldnt go as far as to say its US against Them its very obvious that the op was stirring up somewhat of a hornets nest with this thread,

Ive been involved with a few of these threads and have stood by and just watched them unfold , but with this latest piece of information i cant abide someone defending what the article was about considering firstly it was fraud and secondly it was a foreigner , Now correct me if im wrong but the fact that someone would be entitled to money that is already being cut by the welfare and now we have someone who doesnt even reside in this country walking away with 5k and on top of that theres someone here who is defending that position , i think i am well within my rights to ask this individual if they are a foreign national ?????????????

Who was defending "that position"? Could you show me the post where they do that?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Irish nationals, EU citizens and non EU citizens can avail of social housing and subsidised rent.

Are you disputing this?

Under certain circumstances they can. However I'm absolutely sure that wasn't what he was implying with the following gem

You bring White in to the conversation thats racism , i scream
    racism ,im white and Irish but racism should be universal, imhurt by black
    people calling me white ...gimme a house

Under certain circumstances they can. However I'm absolutely sure that wasn't what he was implying with the following gem

I was simply showing you Noddy how completly ridiculious your arguement is , thats all my friend , whilst i harbour no ill will i have to ask the question ????????? Hmmmm maybe not as id be very upset if you actually did a mayor quimby and flip flopped and actually thought about the feelings of Irish people ....You are living here after all NODDY .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

According to the news article he was 'arrested at Cork Airport on August 1 and €1,100 in cash found on his person was forfeited to the State by court order.'
    He was then told, in court, to leave the country within 48 hrs or face 10 months in prison.

The article also states that 'The case is one of the first to come before the District Court on foot of tough new powers given to social welfare inspectors to allow them to check arrivals and departures by air and sea, and cross-reference them with benefit claims.'
    So that's that then. What point is there to this thread?

I was simply showing you Noddy how completly ridiculious your arguement is , thats all my friend , whilst i harbour no ill will i have to ask the question ????????? Hmmmm maybe not as id be very upset if you actually did a mayor quimby and flip flopped and actually thought about the feelings of Irish people ....You are living here after all NODDY .....

No idea what thats about.

Johro wrote: »
    According to the news article he was 'arrested at Cork Airport on August 1 and €1,100 in cash found on his person was forfeited to the State by court order.'
    He was then told, in court, to leave the country within 48 hrs or face 10 months in prison.

Ranting, raving....the usual.

You are making nobodies argument seem ridiculous as you are not making a coherent argument.

Not one to stick up for Nodin, but he is Irish. Albeit an Irishman with a different viewpoint to yourself, is all.

Johro wrote: »

Cheers for that clarification Johro, but i think the thread moved beyond that simple fact along time ago.We are now in to the usual realm of foreignors in Ireland (tedious) but unfortunatly such is the nature of the beast that we are still here defending our individulas position , Noddy will always be for and i will always be against ...and so on and so forth until the end of time

Cheers for that clarification Johro, but i think the thread moved beyond that simple fact along time ago.We are now in to the usual realm of foreignors in Ireland (tedious) but unfortunatly such is the nature of the beast that we are still here defending our individulas position , Noddy will always be for and i will always be against ...and so on and so forth until the end of time

Still haven't answered this, I see...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80174144&postcount=133

• Advertisement

You are making nobodies argument seem ridiculous as you are not making a coherent argument.

Not one to stick up for Nodin, but he is Irish. Albeit an Irishman with a different viewpoint to yourself, is all.

Irish my arguement is valid , maybe not to the usual bored office worker nothing better to do than check random facts standard that boards produces..i actually have a life ...SO i dont fill my time with remembering details of individual pieces in the indo or the times ...never the less my arguement is no more valid than anyone elses here , regardless i have my opinion and i will stick by it right or wrong ...i am nothing if not consistant :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The system is open to abuse. The nationality of those who abuse it is a side-note not an international conspiracy against the Irish.

fucking stupid thread.

Irish my arguement is valid , maybe not to the usual bored office worker nothing better to do than check random facts standard that boards produces..i actually have a life ...SO i dont fill my time with remembering details of individual pieces in the indo or the times ...never the less my arguement is no more valid than anyone elses here , regardless i have my opinion and i will stick by it right or wrong ...i am nothing if not consistant :cool:
    What exactly is your argument?

The system is open to abuse. The nationality of those who abuse it is a side-note not an international conspiracy against the Irish.

fucking stupid thread.

Pretty much.

Welfare needs to be reformed and it needs to be reformed badly. The time to do this was when jobs where a plenty during the so called boom years. Hindsight is a great thing. But here we are, with a system wide open to abuse and hundreds of thousands of people who are genuinely in need of it.

Its a hard one to square.

Right let me make this very clear for the reading impaired , my arguement is and please let me get banned and infracted and warned all the useless things that they portray on here .....

With the influx of foreign nationals in to this country there was always going to be some that would get thru that would take advantage of the system ...do i have timefor them NO ...would i hire them NO ...i would always give my business to an Irish person...NOW moving along , my arguement here is the defence of so calledf racism and xenophobic ranting in relation to this thread , yes i will say i was side tracked by NODDYS rubbish and his attempt to justify his position but as i stated earlier i will always stand my ground in any online debate regardless of how many independant pages he read this morning over the skinny mocha choka lemon zest latte , Now i hope this clarifies my position in relation to this matter and if ya have a problem with this than please by allmeans come and sitdown with me for 10 mins and have a pint and im sure we can cometo an understanding ...cheers for your time

respectfully

The War-Child

Right let me make this very clear for the reading impaired , my arguement is and please let me get banned and infracted and warned all the useless things that they portray on here .....

With the influx of foreign nationals in to this country there was always going to be some that would get thru that would take advantage of the system ...do i have timefor them NO ...would i hire them NO ...i would always give my business to an Irish person...NOW moving along , my arguement here is the defence of so calledf racism and xenophobic ranting in relation to this thread , yes i will say i was side tracked by NODDYS rubbish and his attempt to justify his position but as i stated earlier i will always stand my ground in any online debate regardless of how many independant pages he read this morning over the skinny mocha choka lemon zest latte , Now i hope this clarifies my position in relation to this matter and if ya have a problem with this than please by allmeans come and sitdown with me for 10 mins and have a pint and im sure we can cometo an understanding ...cheers for your time

respectfully

The War-Child

Rant with a vague hint of xenophobia - Thats not made anything that much clearer.......you still haven't explained what my "position" is supposed to be either.....

Pretty much.

Welfare needs to be reformed and it needs to be reformed badly. The time to do this was when jobs where a plenty during the so called boom years. Hindsight is a great thing. But here we are, with a system wide open to abuse and hundreds of thousands of people who are genuinely in need of it.

Its a hard one to square.
    There are also hundreds of thousands of people in receipt of welfare who are genuinely entitled to it, sure there are dole cheats but they are a minority and drawing attention to this particular instance is just pandering to people with a separate agenda.
    It's a simple case that's now over and done with. Let's just leave the inspectors do their job and close the loopholes.

Rant with a vague hint of xenophobia - Thats not made anything that much clearer.......you still haven't explained what my "position" is supposed to be either.....

Have you got another word to describe my disgust..or is xenophobia the best you have to offer ...show me something new

FAMILIAR

Have you got another word to describe my disgust..or is xenophobia the best you have to offer ...show me something new

FAMILIAR

Xenophobia is the correct term, afaik.

It's getting harder and harder to decipher anything from your posts. Again - what is my position supposed to be, exactly?

• Advertisement

The mods are pretty fair, they have yet to permanently ban me. Thankfully. :pac:
    With the influx of foreign nationals in to this country there was always going to be some that would get thru that would take advantage of the system

Of course. But most of our immigrants come from EU member states. Due to treaties we ratified. It is a bit rich to complain about accession state citizens migrating to Ireland, when we just voted in support of a treaty to allow them to.

...do i have timefor them NO ...would i hire them NO ...i would always give my business to an Irish person...

They are not your enemy, man. Most of them are your fellow Europeans. We can freely move to their countries too. It is a reciprocal agreement. Who knows, in a few years, we may be relocating to Poland, Czech, Slovakia et al in large numbers. Stranger things have happened.

NOW moving along , my arguement here is the defence of so calledf racism and xenophobic ranting in relation to this thread , yes i will say i was side tracked by NODDYS rubbish and his attempt to justify his position

Nodin is a good kid. Ive had numerous spats with him and will probably have numerous more. He has opposing view points to me and yourself. As he is fully entitled to. Just like we entitled to hold our opinions.

Be a shit message forum if we all agreed.

Now i hope this clarifies my position in relation to this matter

No disrespect, buddy, but you have yet to produce a coherent argument.

Advertisement