Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

war_child wrote: »
    Right let me make this very clear for the reading impaired , my arguement is and please let me get banned and infracted and warned all the useless things that they portray on here .....

With the influx of foreign nationals in to this country there was always going to be some that would get thru that would take advantage of the system .
    ..do i have timefor them NO ...would i hire them NO ...i would always give my business to an Irish person...NOW moving along , my arguement here is the defence of so calledf racism and xenophobic ranting in relation to this thread , yes i will say i was side tracked by NODDYS rubbish and his attempt to justify his position but as i stated earlier i will always stand my ground in any online debate regardless of how many independant pages he read this morning over the skinny mocha choka lemon zest latte , Now i hope this clarifies my position in relation to this matter and if ya have a problem with this than please by allmeans come and sitdown with me for 10 mins and have a pint and im sure we can cometo an understanding ...cheers for your time

respectfully

The War-Child
    Sure, there are bad apples in every lot. The end.
    The rest of that post is just rubbishing another poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"good" is relative. And alas my "kid" days are long behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Forget the foreigners it's the queers you have watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Forget the foreigners it's the queers you have watch out for.

The Bull Daly! Go into the Hal'penny Bridge pub on a Sunday evening after the Dubs play and there is Kerry man who works there who is the spit of him. I am sure Savage based the character on this lad. Even has the weird laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When you think about it. What is stopping a person, be it an Irish person, or other nationalities from walking into a dole office and illeagally getting the social welfare?

Theoretically, couldn't I go into the social on monday pretending to be a Irish traveller? an english traveller? european gyspy? A derelict from another country? ..... Who can prove otherwise? As long as I play the part and speak the accent (be it even poorly) ... can they legally disprove?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

When you think about it. What is stopping a person, be it an Irish person, or other nationalities from walking into a dole office and illeagally getting the social welfare?

Theoretically, couldn't I go into the social on monday pretending to be a Irish traveller? an english traveller? european gyspy? A derelict from another country? ..... Who can prove otherwise? As long as I play the part and speak the accent (be it even poorly) ... can they legally disprove?
    You need to prove who you are, its not up to them to disprove it, you need a passport or valid driving licience, a utility bill or bank statement to your current address amongst other things.
    You need a ppsn number
    You need to prove that you meet the habitual resdency requirement.
    No one can just walk in sign on and get money that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You can't get prams all the time

If you want a new one then first you must leave the old pram at the busstop

Also a lot of the free stuff on that list does exist but it's for pensioners ^^^^

not sure if this is an urban myth. I first heard about it in Galway. the story went that here as no room on the bus for the buggy so the non national of a dark skinned variety said she would leave it there at the stop and would a another one free of charge the next day.

in comparison to other countries we have a very generous welfare system. I know in places like Germany they reduce your payments after six months. here you can make more on welfare than a poorly paid job. actually if you are a minimum wage worker you do not have a medical card, which you do have on welfare.

many Irish cannot tell one black from another. for us they all look the same so its easy to impersonate some else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Fuinseog wrote: »
    many Irish cannot tell one black from another. for us they all look the same so its easy to impersonate some else.

Hmm, speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

not sure if this is an urban myth. I first heard about it in Galway. the story went that here as no room on the bus for the buggy so the non national of a dark skinned variety said she would leave it there at the stop and would a another one free of charge the next day.
    Maybe she had also heard the urban myth and also blindly / stupidly accepted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

For years our social welfare system has been open to abuse and has been abused by people from all corners.
    I believe that narrowmindedness from successive governments and the civil servants and their unions in this area has allowed it to grow into the mess it is today.
    The technology IS available NOW to eradicate this problem, or at least reduce it greatly, but its the red tape and reluctance to implement it that astounds me.
    Yes we are being made fools off by non-nationals claiming and not living here, but if we are truly honest with ourselves, its been going on long before now, when many years ago some of our own people travelled from one county to the next making mutiple claims from different SW offices.

What is needed is less moaning and more action on implementing the proper technology to deal with the problem.

Get on to the ministers office / local TD with constructive suggestions and put pressure on them to get something done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Johro wrote: »
    The article also states that 'The case is one of the first to come before the District Court on foot of tough new powers given to social welfare inspectors to allow them to check arrivals and departures by air and sea, and cross-reference them with benefit claims.'

So fly / sail in and out of Belfast then. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wasn't there also cases of people from the North claiming social welfare on this side of the border as well.

Even one case is one too many because at the end of the day it's our taxes that are funding these spongers and cheats.

not sure if this is an urban myth............

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

war_child wrote: »
    Noddy stop burying ur head in the sand ofcourse theirlaughing they get everything they want handed to them but imnot getting in to that arguement again , the plain and simple fact of the matter is he defrauded the country whilst not living here simple as that , the fact that hes a foreignor only makes the matter much worse

Am I detecting a hint of racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Am I detecting a hint of racism?
    I'd say a lot of racisism, and a lot of snide personal abuse too.

Think about this logically for a second. Do the welfare office provide buggies for new born's for people who have not got the means to purchase them? Probably.

Exceptional Needs Payment:
    You may get this payment for:

bedding or other essential household equipment
    funeral expenses, or
    other unforeseen large expenses.

I would say to qualify for this payment you would need to go through a mountain of paperwork, wait for the claim to be processed and eventually receive a sum of money to pick up a medium range product.

The left the buggy on the street sceal, it didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bloody scroungers

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

IrishAm wrote: »
    Not one to stick up for Nodin, but he is Irish. Albeit an Irishman with a different viewpoint to everybodyis all.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

SocSocPol wrote: »
    You need to prove who you are, its not up to them to disprove it, you need a passport or valid driving licience, a utility bill or bank statement to your current address amongst other things.
    You need a ppsn number
    You need to prove that you meet the habitual resdency requirement.
    No one can just walk in sign on and get money that easy.

So every romanian gyspy who got on the dole over here only done so because they had a bank statement, something to prove their address, ppsn number, passport.... etc etc.

yes. they "needed" all that :rolleyes:

great thread

• Advertisement

So every romanian gyspy who got on the dole over here only done so because they had a bank statement, something to prove their address, ppsn number, passport.... etc etc.

yes. they "needed" all that :rolleyes:

apparently they are persecuted by the evil Hungarians, slovaks and romanians which is why they are here

Think about this logically for a second. Do the welfare office provide buggies for new born's for people who have not got the means to purchase them? Probably.

Exceptional Needs Payment:

I would say to qualify for this payment you would need to go through a mountain of paperwork, wait for the claim to be processed and eventually receive a sum of money to pick up a medium range product.

The left the buggy on the street sceal, it didn't happen.

my heart bled for the poor asylum seekers from Nigeria who came over here and had to survive on only 20 euro a week, but fair play to them cos out of that 20 euro they managed to put clothes on their back, food in their belly and even buy a car.

Nodin wrote: »
    It is.

if you say so. some folk believe foreigners can do no wrong in this country. crying racism at every opportunity is in the long term not constructive. it tends to polarise opinions.

The system is open to abuse. The nationality of those who abuse it is a side-note not an international conspiracy against the Irish.

ah but it is an internationally known fact now at this stage that its easy pickings here.

can we next talk about the triple loans that were taken out from our credit unions where the borrower is now nowhere to be found, marvellous tactics i say!

easy pickings here in banana land.

my heart bled for the poor asylum seekers from Nigeria who came over here and had to survive on only 20 euro a week, but fair play to them cos out of that 20 euro they managed to put clothes on their back, food in their belly and even buy a car.

Is there no end to the absolutely baseless shite you manage to post on this subject?

if you say so. some folk believe foreigners can do no wrong in this country. crying racism at every opportunity is in the long term not constructive. it tends to polarise opinions.

"not constructive" Hmmm. You're here, spreading the usual myths and half truths about recent arrivals in this country, and in your spare time, you seem to have it in for the Jews....but if somebody points out some racism its them that are not being "constructive".

The €20 excludes food - they have food provided to them as well as all the Mosney holiday camp facilities. I wouldn't mind my own pool.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

half truths ? the guy was a criminal.if theres 1 you can be sure theres hundreds more

Is there no end to the absolutely baseless shite you manage to post on this subject?

I love your skilled rhetoric.

• Advertisement

pontia wrote: »
    half truths ? the guy was a criminal.if theres 1 you can be sure theres hundreds more

Was I referring to that?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    The €20 excludes food - they have food provided to them as well as all the Mosney holiday camp facilities. I wouldn't mind my own pool.
    i would mind staying in Mosney. its a ****hole, but I was there as paying customer.

but the pro asylum brigade would have us believe the live of a refugee is a harsh one. Some evil Irish racists seem to be the opinion that such folk enter the country illegally (although they are supposed to claim asylum in the nearest country), know exactly where to go when they arrive here and get handed everything free.
    they are not subject to any laws when they do actually work and cry racist if approached by the guards.

"not constructive" Hmmm. You're here, spreading the usual myths and half truths about recent arrivals in this country, and in your spare time, you seem to have it in for the Jews....but if somebody points out some racism its them that are not being "constructive".

I was merely pointing out that foreign nationals do not get up on their high horses as much as people like you do and see racism everywhere. they have more important things in life to consider.

foreign criminals and fraudsters should be weeded out. we have enough of our own dong it whether it be some guy from a disadvantaged area or a politician. I am sure Nodin will agree.

but the pro asylum brigade would have us believe the live of a refugee is a harsh one. Some evil Irish racists seem to be the opinion that such folk enter the country illegally (although they are supposed to claim asylum in the nearest country), know exactly where to go when they arrive here and get handed everything free.
    they are not subject to any laws when they do actually work and cry racist if approached by the guards.

Firstly, please read the following which explains where you're wrong on asylum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59465073&postcount=1

Secondly, they don't get free cars, houses, mobile phones or prams. They aren't allowed work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Aquila wrote: »
    Why is that same spurious myth constantly churned out ad nauseum:confused:

Goverment never tackled them before they took root and its what some people want to believe. The same cockology will be spouted long after I'm gone.

strange,next door so far i had romanians,travellers,nigerians,cost thousands to fix house after them,more nigerians again,a private house rented to council.you trying to tell me there paying for it ? they have caused no end of trouble thru the years

strange,next door so far i had romanians,travellers,nigerians,cost thousands to fix house after them,more nigerians again,a private house rented to council.you trying to tell me there paying for it ? they have caused no end of trouble thru the years

no, you must be racist cos such folk can do no wrong and what you say must be a myth. even if it were true they were probably only expressing themselves artistically.

Goverment never tackled them before they took root and its what some people want to believe. The same cockology will be spouted long after I'm gone.

out of curiosity, do you have any direct contact with gypsies or Nigerians?

Dealing fairly but efficiently with the large number of unfounded asylum claims which are being received which represent over 90% of the total asylum applications being processed annually
    Most asylum applications (more than 90%) are found not to meet the criteria for refugee protection.
    "A small but well placed minority of commentators have sought to create the impression that Ireland's treatment of asylum seekers is harsh and unfair. They have consistently concealed the real facts from the Irish people. Moreover, they have sought to create the impression that anyone who points out the true situation is engaging in political racism. They hint at international comparisons which do not exist.

Sound familiar?

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR07000171

• Advertisement

out of curiosity, do you have any direct contact with gypsies or Nigerians?

Nigerians yes, intermittently with travellers over the years. What has that question got to do with the quote above it....? You seem very happy to ignore every refutation of your shite made.

A recap -> There are no free prams to discard as suits on the road. There are no free cars. There are no free mobiles. Asylum seekers are not allowed to work. Asylum seekers are not obliged to seek Asylum in the closest country.

Yeah, its McDowell making a parish pump joke out of the DOJ. The current minister has a different take on it.

The current minister has a different take on it.

No shit.

Has the current minister made any claims to invalidate McDowells previous claims?

Nigerians yes, intermittently with travellers over the years. What has that question got to do with the quote above it....? You seem very happy to ignore every refutation of your shite made.

A recap -> There are no free prams to discard as suits on the road. There are no free cars. There are no free mobiles. Asylum seekers are not allowed to work. Asylum seekers are not obliged to seek Asylum in the closest country.

Well what exactly are they coming here for? According to previous MoJ's, ninety per cent of them are bogus.

They are hardly here for the weather.

Well what exactly are they coming here for? According to previous MoJ's, ninety per cent of them are bogus.

They are hardly here for the weather.

They're here to claim asylum.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'll give you one thing Nodin. You're a patient man persevering in trying to counter the utter nonsense and stupid prejudices some folk cling to.

It must feel like this for you.

Fair play.

nonsense ? were talking about criminals,how is that nonsense

We should lock them up and throw away the key(s).

nonsense ? were talking about criminals,how is that nonsense

You'll find that most of the posts in this thread aren't really about the guy that was caught, and in fact the thread was only ever a springboard to rant about other issues anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

There are dodgeballs that work the system and they come in every colour, creed and nationality.

I see it every day at work in the hospital, especially in the maternity ward. There are geniune cases and there are cases that aren't so genuine that get everything supplied to them.

These people could be African, Eastern European, South American and, of course, Irish to name but a few.

It's easy to tar everyone with the one brush, I'm by no means well travelled, but just because a small group of people make a bollox our the system, doesn't mean every fellow country man/ woman of them will do the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement