Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

the thing is its not a small group,there should be a picture id card and finger print check,link it back into airports and ports,see whos going where,were an island,use it to our advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Talking of tarring with the same brush..

I'm always hearing and reading about the ever growing love affair between Pakistani males and Latvian (or other A8 national) females. The usual insinuation is that they're in to sham marriages.

The thing is, I know personally about 8 such couples and each and every one is genuine. Genuinely married (for love) and most of the them have had children, too. I don't know of a single such marriage that is fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Nodin wrote: »
    You'll find that most of the posts in this thread aren't really about the guy that was caught, and in fact the thread was only ever a springboard to rant about other issues anyway.

not really, if you go back a few posts you can read where I state clearly that my reason for starting the thread was to find out how he could defraud the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    not really, if you go back a few posts you can read where I state clearly that my reason for starting the thread was to find out how he could defraud the system.

Yeah....thats why you dragged aylum seekers and free buggies left behind at the bus stop into it.

Talking of tarring with the same brush..

I'm always hearing and reading about the ever growing love affair between Pakistani males and Latvian (or other A8 national) females. The usual insinuation is that they're in to sham marriages.

The thing is, I know personally about 8 such couples and each and every one is genuine. Genuinely married (for love) and most of the them have had children, too. I don't know of a single such marriage that is fake.

good for you, but that does not mean that it does not happen. it is also quite lucrative business and you can make up to 10k.

I was offered 5k to invite someone into this country. with my invite they would get a visa and then go underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

not sure if this is an urban myth. I first heard about it in Galway. the story went that here as no room on the bus for the buggy so the non national of a dark skinned variety said she would leave it there at the stop and would a another one free of charge the next day.

in comparison to other countries we have a very generous welfare system. I know in places like Germany they reduce your payments after six months. here you can make more on welfare than a poorly paid job. actually if you are a minimum wage worker you do not have a medical card, which you do have on welfare.

many Irish cannot tell one black from another. for us they all look the same so its easy to impersonate some else.
    didnt think they would be on the bus ,i thought they all got money for cars so they wouldnt have to suffer racists on the bus,could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Quick someone call joe

As on joe Swanson ?

Bring the pain

Wasn't there also cases of people from the North claiming social welfare on this side of the border as well.

Even one case is one too many because at the end of the day it's our taxes that are funding these spongers and cheats.
    to be expected when you think how many of them worked down here during the boom.

the bolt wrote: »
    didnt think they would be on the bus ,i thought they all got money for cars so they wouldnt have to suffer racists on the bus,could be wrong

You taking the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Rasheed wrote: »
    There are dodgeballs that work the system and they come in every colour, creed and nationality.

I see it every day at work in the hospital, especially in the maternity ward. There are geniune cases and there are cases that aren't so genuine that get everything supplied to them.

How do you see them working the system from the maternity ward?:confused:

You taking the piss?
    sarcasm dont work

IrishAm wrote: »

Detatchable remote controlled vaginas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

On the subject of sham marriages I have a couple of friends from Bangladesh who studied here,when there course was finishing up they were approached for a fee of 5k an Eastern European woman would marry them.
    All 3 declined the offer as they had family back home but they said it's very very common.
    I got married in a registry office here and after our gigg a bunch of cops came charging down the lobby,an African fella was marrying an Eastern European in a sham marriage,the guy had a deportation notice out on him.
    It was high drama,we knew two of the cops and they said it's only a few they are catching but the practice is widespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

IrishAm wrote: »
    Cant let them home if they claim their house isnt suitable. A public health nurse has to go out, access the situation and report back with what they need/do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Sappa wrote: »
    On the subject of sham marriages I have a couple of friends from Bangladesh who studied here,when there course was finishing up they were approached for a fee of 5k an Eastern European woman would marry them.
    All 3 declined the offer as they had family back home but they said it's very very common.
    I got married in a registry office here and after our gigg a bunch of cops came charging down the lobby,an African fella was marrying an Eastern European in a sham marriage,the guy had a deportation notice out on him.
    It was high drama,we knew two of the cops and they said it's only a few they are catching but the practice is widespread.

i myself was asked by an old friend to marry an indian woman for 3k about 4 years ago. The sister of this man's wife was coming over and wanted to work here in nursing. I think what happened in the end was she came for 3 weeks but had to leave as she hadn't enough funds in her bank account or something. I remember joking with him "ah but what if we fall in love?" he said i was a crazy man "no no you drink and smoke" but i said i'd give all that up. I then asked for 5k!

I'd have never gone through with it though and was since told that this man would have got more than 3k for organising it. No longer a friend.

• Advertisement

I don't know of a single such marriage that is fake.

if a marriage is fake, they're obviously not going to be living together anymore so how would anyone know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

So every romanian gyspy who got on the dole over here only done so because they had a bank statement, something to prove their address, ppsn number, passport.... etc etc.

yes. they "needed" all that :rolleyes:
    Romanians didnt qualify for the dole , which is why the ones encamped on the roundabout were repatriated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

This PC **** makes me so so angry. The issue here is a welfare tourist, regardless of where they are from. Irish people would also be angry that an Irish person is defrauding the state but we aren't allowed to express any anger when the person defrauding the state is foreign.

''Dey tuk ar jobs'', ''sure they get free prams too'' usual **** you hear from the PC crowd, apparently I am an uneducated imbecile if I don't agree with you, but you'd defend dyslexics and people from ''disadvantaged backgrounds'' as well, wouldn't you? I am tired of being portrayed as an ignorant idiot because I don't agree with your liberal crap.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    This PC **** makes me so so angry. The issue here is a welfare tourist, regardless of where they are from. Irish people would also be angry that an Irish person is defrauding the state but we aren't allowed to express any anger when the person defrauding the state is foreign. .

Just as a matter of interest, where has anybody defended the guy in the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This PC **** makes me so so angry.

Question yourself some baby simple stuff like?
    What is the opposite to:

Generous
    Harmless
    Kind
    Love

PC?

• Advertisement

''Dey tuk ar jobs'', ''sure they get free prams too'' usual **** you hear from the PC crowd, apparently I am an uneducated imbecile if I don't agree with you, but you'd defend dyslexics and people from ''disadvantaged backgrounds'' as well, wouldn't you? I am tired of being portrayed as an ignorant idiot because I don't agree with your liberal crap.
    Did you read that through before you posted it?

Yes, I did. It seems to be above your intellectual capabilities though.

Just as a matter of interest, where has anybody defended the guy in the OP?

You didn't defend him, but you belittled anyone who expressed a negative opinion about welfare tourists, somebody that is foreign in this case.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Question yourself some baby simple stuff like?
    What is the opposite to:

Generous
    Harmless
    Kind
    Love

PC?

Politically incorrect? I really don't know what your point is.

Yes, I did. It seems to be above your intellectual capabilities though.

Forgive me. So, to confirm, in your highly intellectual opinion, it's the PC brigade who say things such as ''dey tuk ar jobs'' and ''sure they get free prams too''. Correct?

Forgive me. So, to confirm, in your highly intellectual opinion, it's the PC brigade who say things such as ''dey tuk ar jobs'' and ''sure they get free prams too''. Correct?

Yes, they do. They use these phrases in a mocking way, because apparently they believe that this is what anti-PC (and therefore ignorant, according to PC people) say.

Yes, they do. They use these phrases in a mocking way, because apparently that is what anti-PC (and therefore ignorant) people say.

Right..

Rasheed wrote: »
    Cant let them home if they claim their house isnt suitable. A public health nurse has to go out, access the situation and report back with what they need/do not need.

There was a case where an African family of asylum seekers were sent to Donegal were they were given a house. they took one look at it and went back to Dublin. beggars can be choosers, but I suppose it is like settling a group of Dubs outside the Pale. they would never survive.

You didn't defend him, but you belittled anyone who expressed a negative opinion about welfare tourists, somebody that is foreign in this case.

Welcome to Nod. Always remember you're not alone and you'll be ok.

Yes, they do. They use these phrases in a mocking way, because apparently they believe that this is what anti-PC (and therefore ignorant, according to PC people) say.

The PC brigade are the best recruiters for far right groups.

• Advertisement

I did? Where? Quote the post, if you would.

There was a case where an African family of asylum seekers were sent to Donegal were they were given a house. they took one look at it and went back to Dublin. beggars can be choosers, but I suppose it is like settling a group of Dubs outside the Pale. they would never survive.

...jaysus, another baseless anecdote. Sure where would we be without them.

You anything to back that up?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/councillor-foreigners-will-collapse-social-welfare-system-182427.html

Councillor: ‘Foreigners will collapse social welfare system’
    By Jennifer Hough
    FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 03, 2012
    An outspoken Monaghan county councillor has blasted foreign nationals who claim social welfare benefits, saying they will make the system collapse.

Seamus Treanor, 64, an Independent who topped the poll in his constituency in 2009, has appeared on Newstalk and Northern Sound radio over the past two days. He claimed 40% of the social welfare budget goes to foreign people.

The Department of Social Protection denied this, saying there is no breakdown by nationality of who claims what from the social welfare pool, which distributes about €21bn via 50 different schemes.

The department said it would take an extraordinary amount of work to find out what the true figures are.

The Live Register is the only way of gauging how many non-Irish people are claiming one particular social welfare benefit, jobseeker’s allowance.

According to January figures, of 439,589 people on the Register, 78,151 were non-Irish — less than 20%.

Of that, 17,827 are from Britain, 42,831 are from the EU accession states (Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, etc), 3,648 are from pre-enlargement EU countries and a further 13,000 are from "other countries".

Mr Treanor was unrepentant and blamed Ireland’s unemployment rates on the huge numbers of economic migrants who came here in the boom times.

"These people are taking money from my dole office, and me and my grandchildren will end up paying for this down the line," he said.

"There is a housing estate here in Monaghan town with 120 units where just 18 English-speaking families are left.

"We have a school where 60% of the children aren’t Irish. This country saw the biggest mass movement of people in recent times when we opened our borders to the European accession states."

In a letter to a local paper in 2010, Mr Treanor wrote: "The richest countries in Europe, France and Germany put a 10-year moratorium on the free movement of Eastern Europeans into their countries. Pity our government of the day didn’t have the same foresight."

His comments come in the wake of the "Magda" controversy. Although Mr Treanor accepted the article had been mistranslated, he said he knew "hundreds of Magdas" in his constituency.

I often wondered, do foreigners hire out rooms in pubs for these laughing sessions, or do they have informal gatherings in each others free houses?

There are countless other examples in this thread. You nitpick at peoples' responses and you choose to belittle them in order to undermine their arguments.

There are countless other examples in this thread. ..............

Then you shouldn't have any problems supplying one, as requested earlier.

Then you shouldn't have any problems supplying one, as requested earlier.

I supplied an example in the post you just quoted.

Have you any back up for your story about the African family?
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/councillor-foreigners-will-collapse-social-welfare-system-182427.html

By Jennifer Hough
    An outspoken Monaghan county councillor ..............

Bringing in the academic heavyweights, I see. Do you or the councillor understand that in many cases these people are claiming benefits as a result of having worked and paid tax in this country for a number of years?

I supplied an example in the post you just quoted.

That has nothing to do with "welfare tourism". It was a response to the usual nonsense about "they're laughing at our laws".

Now - "You didn't defend him, but you belittled anyone who expressed a negative opinion about welfare tourists" - examples please.

Nitpicking, once again. You belittled that person who also stated in their post that they were irritated about a person who defrauded the Irish welfare system. You just responded to the other aspect of the post, and belittled the poster as usual. There are plenty of examples of how you treated posters with disdain on this thread. I am not going to continue this argument with you because it is obvious that you will never admit defeat, even though it is evident that I am right. Good evening.

• Advertisement

Nitpicking, once again. You belittled that person who also stated in their post that they were irritated about a person who defrauded the Irish welfare system. You just responded to the other aspect of the post, and belittled the poster as usual. There are plenty of examples of how you treated posters with disdain on this thread. I am not going to continue this argument with you because it is obvious that you will never admit defeat, even though it is evident that I am right. Good evening.

I belittled the notion of "foreigners" sitting round laughing at us, which tends to be suggested rather a lot in this kind of thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

By Jennifer Hough
    An outspoken Monaghan county councillor has blasted foreign nationals who claim social welfare benefits, saying they will make the system collapse.

Seamus Treanor, 64,
    CLLR TREANOR'S COMMENTS: INACCURATE, ILL-INFORMED, NONSENCE
    TIC Response to Cllr Treanors Comments this week.

Monaghan Councillor Seamus Treanor has publicly come out with the statement that foreign nationals will collapse the social welfare system.

Mr Treanor claimed that ‘40% of the welfare budget goes to foreign people’.

Killian Forde, CEO of The Integration Centre responded “January 2012 statistics show that 17.78% of those on the Live Register are immigrants.”

“Cllr Treanors comments are completely fictitious and simply point to his personal anti-immigrant feelings.”

http://www.integrationcentre.ie/Media/Press-Releases/2012/CLLR-TREANOR-S-COMMENTS--INACCURATE,-ILL-INFORMED,.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Medusa many thanks for noticing that but please be assured he didnt belittle me in anyway , unfortunatly in this life there will be those who cant see what is right in front of their face and Nodin is one of those people , i wouldnt even attempt to try and explain anything that does not run in accordance with his belief because hes not a sponge nothing will sink in.

This PC **** makes me so so angry. The issue here is a welfare tourist, regardless of where they are from. Irish people would also be angry that an Irish person is defrauding the state but we aren't allowed to express any anger when the person defrauding the state is foreign.

And you believe that suffering from dyslexia is something to be condemed? Pray tell us why.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    And you believe that suffering from dyslexia is something to be condemed? Pray tell us why.

I didn't notice that. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Dyslexics of the world untie.

• Advertisement

ooo nice work if you can get it, well done lads.

proper order

VEN wrote: »
    ooo nice work if you can get it, well done lads.

proper order

Your concern for the affairs of Co. Down is touching. Its relevance to this thread escapes me though.

You don't see the hypocrisy of making statements like 'dey tuk ar jobs' insinuating that anti-PC people are unable to spell and then defending people who are dyslexic?

You don't see the hypocrisy of making statements like 'dey tuk ar jobs' insinuating that anti-PC people are unable to spell and then defending people who are dyslexic?

Thats nothing to do with spelling. Its from south park.

Speechless, abso-fcukin-lutleyspeechless!
    And I almost closed my account yesterday:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement