Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Killian Forde, CEO of The Integration Centre responded “January 2012 statistics show that 17.78% of those on the Live Register are immigrants.” http://www.integrationcentre.ie/Media/Press-Releases/2012/CLLR-TREANOR-S-COMMENTS--INACCURATE,-ILL-INFORMED,.aspx

In some areas it is higher, for example in Galway 30% of people unemployed last year were from countries outside of Ireland. http://www.galwaynews.ie/27223-30-citys-unemployed-foreign-nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Nodin wrote: »
    Your concern for the affairs of Co. Down is touching. Its relevance to this thread escapes me though.

oh everything in here is relevant my friend, everything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

snubbleste wrote: »
    In some areas it is higher, for example in Galway 30% of people unemployed last year were from countries outside of Ireland. http://www.galwaynews.ie/27223-30-citys-unemployed-foreign-nationals

one in four people in Galway is not from Galway. the city also had the reputation of being a place where you go to chill and nobody seems to mind.
    Since the nineties the place has been invested with crusties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    one in four people in Galway is not from Galway. the city also had the reputation of being a place where you go to chill and nobody seems to mind.
    Since the nineties the place has been invested with crusties.

Yeah. the horror....

By the way, did you find a source for that story about the african family in Donegal yet?

Yeah. the horror....

By the way, did you find a source for that story about the african family in Donegal yet?

yes indeed a large group of them encamped near my residence and it took several months to remove them.
    the africans were not prepared to move to Donegal cos it was far removed from fellow Africans. I really must keep an archive of these articles. although it would serve little purpose cos johnny foreigner especially the Africans and sinti can do no wrong.
    Certain foreigners in this country have a special status given to them by so called liberals and it it forbidden to criticise them in any way. in the long run their special status does them no favours as it only creates resentment against them.

yes indeed a large (.........)resentment against them.

You're unable to use google....? You can't use the details you remember to find the story....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

yes indeed a large group of them encamped near my residence and it took several months to remove them.
    the africans were not prepared to move to Donegal cos it was far removed from fellow Africans. I really must keep an archive of these articles. although it would serve little purpose cos johnny foreigner especially the Africans and sinti can do no wrong.
    Certain foreigners in this country have a special status given to them by so called liberals and it it forbidden to criticise them in any way. in the long run their special status does them no favours as it only creates resentment against them.
    Read the highlighted passage again and then explain to me how that is not racist?

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Read the highlighted passage again and then explain to me how that is not racist?

anyone who disagrees with you or criticises foreigners in any way is a racist. well boo hoo.

anyone who disagrees with you or criticises foreigners in any way is a racist. well boo hoo.

Nobody said that. You'd have to be making stupid unfounded claims about a specific race to be considered racist.

You haven't had any luck finding a source for that story yet, have you?

No, but people who post racist quotes are racists. I note you chose to attack me as opposed to addressing my question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

although it would serve little purpose cos johnny foreigner ...
    You refer to all non-Irish as Johnny Foreigner?

And that says nothing about your attitudes?

If someone came on here constantly referring disparagingly to Paddy Irishman I wonder what everyone's reactions would be?

Nobody said that. You'd have to be making stupid unfounded claims about a specific race to be considered racist.

You haven't had any luck finding a source for that story yet, have you?
    I just spent 40 minutes on Google and couldn't find any credible link to evidence that this story is anything other than another ignorant myth. However the spread of this type of racist proaganda brought to mind a quote from Voltaire; “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If someone came on here constantly referring disparagingly to Paddy Irishman I wonder what everyone's reactions would be?
    Obviously all dissenting comments would be dismissed as 'PC gone mad'.

I just spent 40 minutes on Google and couldn't find any credible link to evidence that this story is anything other than another ignorant myth. However the spread of this type of racist proaganda brought to mind a quote from Voltaire; “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

henceforth anyone who says anything bad about non irish nationals is spreading ignorant myths.

good old Voltaire, a noted racist , which brings me to mind a quote of his

Je me suppose donc arrivé en Afrique, et entouré de nègres, de Hottentots, et d'autres animaux. »

I bet you did not learn this side of voltaire at your enlightened PC school of thought.

http://belgicatho.hautetfort.com/archive/2011/10/10/voltaire-raciste-et-antisemite.html

henceforth anyone who says anything bad about non irish nationals is spreading ignorant myths.

Not at all. Only people who can't back up what they say.

Now - any luck with that story about the African family in Donegal..?

Je me suppose donc arrivé en Afrique, et entouré de nègres, de Hottentots, et d'autres animaux. »

I bet you did not learn this side of voltaire at your enlightened PC school of thought.

http://belgicatho.hautetfort.com/archive/2011/10/10/voltaire-raciste-et-antisemite.html
    You lose the bet, as you so long ago lost the argument!
    As for the opening line of your post it brings to mind a drowning man clutching at straws.

Not at all. Only people who can't back up what they say.

Now - any luck with that story about the African family in Donegal..?

there is no way I would spend half the day looking for such an article. you would need to be obsessed with the topic and I have other pots on the fire, but just for you Nodi I will make that extra special effort

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/asylum-seekers-reject-rural-life-in-half-an-hour-376796.htm

Asylum seekers reject rural life in half an hour

hursday May 18 2000
    By TOM BRADY, Security Editor THE pleasures of country living here have been rejected by a group of asylum seekers from the Congo who want to...
    THE pleasures of country living here have been rejected by a group of asylum seekers from the Congo who want to be housed in Dublin.

Fourteen people from the Congo spent half an hour in Donegal town when they were taken there by special bus on Tuesday afternoon and promptly set out on a five-hour trek back to Dublin.

But last night they were firmly told they must accept the offer of accommodation in en-suite rooms with TV sets in the purpose built house, or find their own homes.

The Congolese turned up at a Dublin reception centre for asylum seekers close to midnight on Tuesday after travelling back from Donegal and were kept overnight.

But during a two-and-half hour meeting yesterday they were told by a refugee directorate official and a welfare officer, who spoke fluent French, the Government was confronted with an acute shortage of accommodation for asylum seekers and could not allow them to dictate where they wanted to live.

The refugee directorate had waited until the number of Congolese had grown to 14 before moving them to ``preserve a community/ethnic spirit''.

The plan was to accommodate them in Cliff View Lodge, which had been purpose built in Donegal town.

Another 41 asylum seekers have been living there for several months without complaint, according to officials last night.

After their meeting with officials yesterday afternoon the Congolese protested outside the Mount Street headquarters of the refugee directorate in support of their demands to be housed in Dublin.

Gardai were called to the centre last night after the group began banging on the door and windows of the building when it shut and female staff working late inside said they were concerned about their safety.

Last night, the group were given emergency accommodation in Dublin and this morning, will again be offered the accommodation in Donegal.

In the Dail yesterday Justice Minister John O'Donoghue said asylum seekers had been dispersed to 20 centres around the country.

this is where I say Beggars can be choosers and you mention how much a rag the indo is and the story is an ignorant myth. maybe a few remarks and how much a racist Tom Brady is.

there is no way I would spend half the day looking for such an article. you would need to be obsessed with the topic and I have other pots on the fire, but just for you Nodi I will make that extra special effort

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/asylum-seekers-reject-rural-life-in-half-an-hour-376796.htm

Asylum seekers reject rural life in half an hour

hursday May 18 2000
    By TOM BRADY, Security Editor THE pleasures of country living here have been rejected by a group of asylum seekers from the Congo who want to...
    THE pleasures of country living here have been rejected by a group of asylum seekers from the Congo who want to be housed in Dublin.

Fourteen people from the Congo spent half an hour in Donegal town when they were taken there by special bus on Tuesday afternoon and promptly set out on a five-hour trek back to Dublin.

But last night they were firmly told they must accept the offer of accommodation in en-suite rooms with TV sets in the purpose built house, or find their own homes.

The Congolese turned up at a Dublin reception centre for asylum seekers close to midnight on Tuesday after travelling back from Donegal and were kept overnight.

But during a two-and-half hour meeting yesterday they were told by a refugee directorate official and a welfare officer, who spoke fluent French, the Government was confronted with an acute shortage of accommodation for asylum seekers and could not allow them to dictate where they wanted to live.

The refugee directorate had waited until the number of Congolese had grown to 14 before moving them to ``preserve a community/ethnic spirit''.

The plan was to accommodate them in Cliff View Lodge, which had been purpose built in Donegal town.

Another 41 asylum seekers have been living there for several months without complaint, according to officials last night.

After their meeting with officials yesterday afternoon the Congolese protested outside the Mount Street headquarters of the refugee directorate in support of their demands to be housed in Dublin.

Gardai were called to the centre last night after the group began banging on the door and windows of the building when it shut and female staff working late inside said they were concerned about their safety.

Last night, the group were given emergency accommodation in Dublin and this morning, will again be offered the accommodation in Donegal.

In the Dail yesterday Justice Minister John O'Donoghue said asylum seekers had been dispersed to 20 centres around the country.

this is where I say Beggars can be choosers and you mention how much a rag the indo is and the story is an ignorant myth. maybe a few remarks and how much a racist Tom Brady is.
    1. Story is 12 years old
    2. No mention of them being as you claimed "A family"
    3. No mention as you claimed that accomodation was refused because they "wanted to be nearer to other Africans".
    So now a mis-represented 12 year old story is supposed to accuratley describe an entitlement culture that you attribute to all immigrants.
    Big fail!

there is no way......ist Tom Brady is.

And they say ye can't get blood from a stone. It takes no effort to find things when you know the details either.

Your link doesn't work btw. For the interested....
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/asylum-seekers-reject-rural-life-in-half-an-hour-376796.html

It would seem theres more than wanting to stay in the pale going on...
    A spokesman for the group told RTE that they had no choice but to return to Donegal, however, he said the accommodation there was not suitable. He said his family of five people had been assigned one room. He said it was not a case that they wanted to be in Dublin, but rather that their living conditions be acceptable
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0518/asylum.html?view=print

• Advertisement

1. Story is 12 years old
    3. No mention as you claimed that accomodation was refused because they "wanted to be nearer to other Africans".
    So now a mis-represented 12 year old story is supposed to accuratley describe an entitlement culture that you attribute to all immigrants.
    Big fail!

and so the nit picking begins. the story is indeed twelve years old, which could mean I read it twelve years ago and cannot recall every minute detail of the case. it is a prime example of how some of them behave in this country.

there is a description of aggressive behaviour on their part, which you and the PC brigade will always ignore. if an Irish person started banging on door like that it would be handled more severely.

there is a description of aggressive behaviour on their part, which you and the PC brigade will always ignore. if an Irish person started banging on door like that it would be handled more severely.

Yep. Theres nothing that brings out a lynch mob like the door bangin.

And they say ye can't get blood from a stone. It takes no effort to find things when you know the details either.

Your link doesn't work btw. For the interested....
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/asylum-seekers-reject-rural-life-in-half-an-hour-376796.html

It would seem theres more than wanting to stay in the pale going on...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0518/asylum.html?view=print

no idea why the link does not work, but I also have produced the text.

if I was offered a free house anywhere on this island I would be there asap. those folks came here as asylum seekers. giving them asylum means giving them protection from persecution yet they wish to pick and choose.

Yep. Theres nothing that brings out a lynch mob like the door bangin.

or the PC brigade ruining a Naas councillors life cos he said Africans were aggressive. the gumption! he is their slave and when they shout and become aggressive he should give them what they want immediately.

likewise if you want something from a public office when it is closed the best way to do it is to bang on the door and start shouting. N.B this is only permitted if you are African. The civil servants within were obviously racist, why is why they did not open the doors.

if I was offered a free house anywhere on this island I would be there asap. those folks came here as asylum seekers. giving them asylum means giving them protection from persecution yet they wish to pick and choose.

......you'd cram yourself into a room with 5 others, of doubtless mixed gender and ages...? And force your childer to accept the same?

Thankfully its rather a rare view amongst those that matter
    Last year, the United Nations Committee for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination expressed concern at the negative impact direct provision had on the welfare of asylum seekers. It said delays in processing applications meant asylum seekers spent lengthy periods in these centres, often leading to health and psychological problems, including serious mental illness.

This concern was regrettably borne out by Mr Shatter’s revelation last year that 49 asylum seekers committed suicide, while living in these direct provision centres, over the past 10 years.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/colette-browne/draconian-asylum-and-immigration-system-needs-reform-mr-shatter-182175.html

or the PC brigade ruining a Naas councillors life cos he said Africans were aggressive. the gumption! he is their slave and when they shout and become aggressive he should give them what they want immediately.

Ahh, more crap. If only you could produce something productive as easily.

• Advertisement

and so the nit picking begins. the story is indeed twelve years old, which could mean I read it twelve years ago and cannot recall every minute detail of the case. it is a prime example of how some of them behave in this country.

Apart from being jailed why would an Irishman/woman be kept behind a locked door?

or the PC brigade ......

Who are the "PC brigade"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

No, but people who post racist quotes are racists. I note you chose to attack me as opposed to addressing my question.

sorry but where did he post racist quotes ..as far as i can see he simply highlighted the origins of this thread ...Hmmm should we all call our self African , Polish, lithuanian, latvian,Nigerian , flap flap , see you at 8 , not tonight im washing my hair ...see if u say it enuff does it become a reasonable arguement ...Hmmmm the very simple Irish mind Boggles :D

war_child wrote: »
    sorry but where did he post racist quotes ..as far as i can see he simply highlighted the origins of this thread ...

he didn't say he did. As for "simple Irish mind", kindly don't include me in your self loathing generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

An insidious threat to racists nationwide.

• Advertisement

Y.O.U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

sorry but where did he post racist quotes ..as far as i can see he simply highlighted the origins of this thread ...Hmmm should we all call our self African , Polish, lithuanian, latvian,Nigerian , flap flap , see you at 8 , not tonight im washing my hair ...see if u say it enuff does it become a reasonable arguement ...Hmmmm the very simple Irish mind Boggles :D

Your posts tend to ramble and make very little sense after the first few words. It's hard to take your opinions seriously.

Y.O.U

Nope. I just don't care for racism or sectarianism.

he didn't say he did. As for "simple Irish mind", kindly don't include me in your self loathing generalisations.

Oh please ..you self indulgent ***** what would make u think i would ever include you in anything IRISH , ?

Mod: Banned.

Oh please ..you self indulgent ***** what would make u think i would ever include you in anything IRISH , ?

Well, that's not very nice. It's attack the post, not the poster.

...but what you include me in or exclude me from makes no difference to the facts.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Your posts tend to ramble and make very little sense after the first few words. It's hard to take your opinions seriously.

Woohoooo i have now become a foreignor in Ireland GIMME A HOUSE ,,,lol but with all honesty Lynda , if you look at mcmann versus mantague you will see that the very essence of conversation as it is explained in the click clack language durka durka jihad , you will seperate your feelings from the cookoo and they will undoubtedly become one of those rubber duckies ....NOW ? write me a 45 page essay on the meaning of the coulour of my socks today

yourself and your cheerleader. few things in this life are as black or white as you seem them.

Woohoooo i have now become a foreignor in Ireland GIMME A HOUSE ,,,lol but with all honesty Lynda , if you look at mcmann versus mantague you will see that the very essence of conversation as it is explained in the click clack language durka durka jihad , you will seperate your feelings from the cookoo and they will undoubtedly become one of those rubber duckies ....NOW ? write me a 45 page essay on the meaning of the coulour of my socks today

...I was going to, but the above speaks for itself really.

Ahh, more crap. If only you could produce something productive as easily.

such eloquence!

• Advertisement

There is a lot I'd like to ask you, but I'll refrain because I have no infractions on boards and don't want any. :rolleyes:

All I'll say is, anybody who uses phrases like 'durka durka' and 'click clack language' isn't somebody who I will take opinions of seriously.

You know, if you're opposed to foreign dole cheats, there's a way to voice it without being a complete racist.

yourself and your cheerleader. few things in this life are as black or white as you seem them.

I'll refer you back here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80219969&postcount=284

Not sure what the "black or white" thing is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Voltaire died in 1778. Two years before that, the US Declaration of Independence, often tagged as one of the great documents of the struggle for liberty and personal freedom, was signed ... by a group made up exclusively of men, many of whom owned slaves.

Times change, ideas are adapted to fit them, and hopefully we are capable of doing the same. Enlightenment moves on, develops, progresses ... if it doesn't, societies and cultures stultify and die. Or implode.

LyndaMcL wrote: »

You know, if you're opposed to foreign dole cheats, there's a way to voice it without being a complete racist.

Unless you are a racist, xenophobe or anti-semite, in which case the mask might slip. Get a bit of a rant going, feel happy with yourself and before ye know it you've condemned mixing of the races and declared Elvis a negro plot.

Unless you are a racist, xenophobe or anti-semite, in which case the mask might slip. Get a bit of a rant going, feel happy with yourself and before ye know it you've condemned mixing of the races and declared Elvis a negro plot.

anyone who disagrees with you is all the above. you pestered me for two days about the africans in Donegal. i delivered and you have little to say and now try to deflect the arguement.

anyone who disagrees with you is all the above. you pestered me for two days about the africans in Donegal. i delivered and you have little to say and now try to deflect the arguement.

Emmm.....Did you miss
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80219247&postcount=270

and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80219660&postcount=275

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

1. Story is 12 years old
    Big fail!

Il save you another forty mins. Whack in the words "asylum seekers protest" using google.ie and you will find half a dozen similar protests. Some want to go to Dublin, others protest because they don't want to go Dublin. Other protest over the toothpaste they were provided with.

Mad stuff altogether. Especially when you consider that previous Justices Ministers came out and admitted that ninety per cent of them are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

and whack in http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0518/asylum.html?view=print
    while you're at it there SocPol to find your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Idir talamh s speir

I live in Donegal and I remember when the group of Congolese Asylum Seekers objected to being accommodated in Donegal and were brought back to Dublin. I might be able to shed some light but not much on the incident. Apologies in advance for going on too long (if I do)

First a bit of History: In the year 2000 due to a growth in the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland, the Government decided to accommodate asylum seekers in "direct provision" hostels distributed throughout the country. Asylum seekers in these new centres, received accommodation (shared en-suite rooms of up to 10 in bunks, but usually accommodating between 2-6 people), meals were also provided (often chips and other fried frozen foods), as were laundry facilities (washing machine, drier, and iron), and all adults were given an allowance of I think £15 per week, or so, to pay for any expenses like cigarettes, toiletries, clothes etc. Asylum seekers had medical cards so did receive treatment from GPs and prescriptions free. There were no other benefits as far as I know. Children of asylum seekers were not entitled to childrens allowance but instead parents were given the £15 allowance per week and children were given half that I think, £7.50 per week. I dont know how nappies were afforded, or formula etc...anyway Prior to 2000 asylum seekers were accommodated in the private rental sector, similar scheme to anyone who was on social welfare, and asylum seekers received a weekly allowance equivalent to the dole, but different in that they were not permitted to work.....this situation existed in the 1990's but by 2000 the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland grew and the system was overwhelmed, so the Govt introduced Direct Provision in hostels in 2000 probably to try to contol the costs. There were other benefits for the state with the creation of the Direct Provision system.....eg there was sufficient anecdotal evidence that many asylum seekers were working in the black economy (primarily in the Dublin area the economic hub of the country), by distributing asylum seekers far and wide throughout the country away from Dublin it was hoped that the opportunities for working in the black economy would be reduced. It was also felt by Govt that it would be better for asylum seekers to be randomly distributed around the state....

The Hostels which came into the scheme in 2000 were of different types. Some like the hostel in Donegal Town were previously tourist hostels...the owners were well aware that adapting the hostels for asylum seekers was obviously more profitable than retaining them as tourist hostels...though obviously there were also management issues with some asylum seekers

The 17 or so Congolese asylum seekers (as far as I recall they were from the DRC former Zaire not the Republic of Congo) who arrived in Donegal to be accommodated in Cliff View Hostel objected to being located in Donegal, I dont think they complained about the accommodation per se, but it was the fact that they were being located in Dublin ie so far from Dublin (the economic hub of the state). They were not the first asylum seekers to be allocated accommodation in Cliff View Hostel, in fact quite a few other asylum seekers from various states were already accommodated in Cliff View for weeks/months without any major complaint. In addition I think that there were other asylum seekers from the group that included the objecting Congolese who traveled up together from Dublin but who were satisfied with Donegal and did NOT complain and stayed in Donegal....but something bugged the others and they refused to stay.

I dont know did they only complain when they arrived, or were they complaining from the moment they left Dublin? Whatever it was, it seems their main problem was the distance between Donegal and Dublin....they were brought back to Dublin after a few hours of complaining....the story was reported on RTE, in the Irish Independent and locally in the Donegal Democrat. Their complaints baffled the asylum seekers who were already comfortably ensconced in the hostel, and some of them felt bad about how the Congolese behaved as they felt it would reflect badly on all the asylum seekers in Donegal...there was a follow-up story locally in the Donegal Democrat with vox pops from locals and also from the asylum seekers who liked Donegal and who wanted to stay...they were apologising for the behaviour of the Congolese...I never discovered what it was that bugged the Congolese who objected to staying in Donegal, but personally I felt that they felt that they would be less likely to obtain black market work in Donegal as opposed to Dublin, and I feel that that was their objection to being so far from Dublin and nothing else...perhaps also the attraction of a big city with its bright lights and social scene was more than the attraction that Donegal could provide? Maybe there was a different reason and I could be wrong, but I never discovered....incidentally many Congolese (apart from this group) have stayed in Cliff View down the years...and they have often been remined by other clients in the hostel of the legacy of the Congolese from 2000....oh finally some of the 17 or so Congolese were related, but not all of them of course

Advertisement