Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welfare tourist gets off the hook

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Idir talamh s speir

correction in above where I said "anyway Prior to 2000 asylum seekers were accommodated in the private rental sector, similar scheme to anyone who was on social welfare, and asylum seekers received a weekly allowance equivalent to the dole, but different in that they were not permitted to work" the word "seek" should be placed before work.

second correction (sorry) "but it was the fact that they were being located in Dublin ie so far from Dublin" should read "but it was the fact that they were being located in Donegal ie so far from Dublin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I live in Donegal and I remember when the group of Congolese Asylum Seekers objected to being accommodated in Donegal and were brought back to Dublin. I might be able to shed some light but not much on the incident. Apologies in advance for going on too long (if I do)

First a bit of History: In the year 2000 due to a growth in the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland, the Government decided to accommodate asylum seekers in "direct provision" hostels distributed throughout the country. Asylum seekers in these new centres, received accommodation (shared en-suite rooms of up to 10 in bunks, but usually accommodating between 2-6 people), meals were also provided (often chips and other fried frozen foods), as were laundry facilities (washing machine, drier, and iron), and all adults were given an allowance of I think £15 per week, or so, to pay for any expenses like cigarettes, toiletries, clothes etc. Asylum seekers had medical cards so did receive treatment from GPs and prescriptions free. There were no other benefits as far as I know. Children of asylum seekers were not entitled to childrens allowance but instead parents were given the £15 allowance per week and children were given half that I think, £7.50 per week. I dont know how nappies were afforded, or formula etc...anyway Prior to 2000 asylum seekers were accommodated in the private rental sector, similar scheme to anyone who was on social welfare, and asylum seekers received a weekly allowance equivalent to the dole, but different in that they were not permitted to work.....this situation existed in the 1990's but by 2000 the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland grew and the system was overwhelmed, so the Govt introduced Direct Provision in hostels in 2000 probably to try to contol the costs. There were other benefits for the state with the creation of the Direct Provision system.....eg there was sufficient anecdotal evidence that many asylum seekers were working in the black economy (primarily in the Dublin area the economic hub of the country), by distributing asylum seekers far and wide throughout the country away from Dublin it was hoped that the opportunities for working in the black economy would be reduced. It was also felt by Govt that it would be better for asylum seekers to be randomly distributed around the state....

The Hostels which came into the scheme in 2000 were of different types. Some like the hostel in Donegal Town were previously tourist hostels...the owners were well aware that adapting the hostels for asylum seekers was obviously more profitable than retaining them as tourist hostels...though obviously there were also management issues with some asylum seekers

The 17 or so Congolese asylum seekers (as far as I recall they were from the DRC former Zaire not the Republic of Congo) who arrived in Donegal to be accommodated in Cliff View Hostel objected to being located in Donegal, I dont think they complained about the accommodation per se, but it was the fact that they were being located in Dublin ie so far from Dublin (the economic hub of the state). They were not the first asylum seekers to be allocated accommodation in Cliff View Hostel, in fact quite a few other asylum seekers from various states were already accommodated in Cliff View for weeks/months without any major complaint. In addition I think that there were other asylum seekers from the group that included the objecting Congolese who traveled up together from Dublin but who were satisfied with Donegal and did NOT complain and stayed in Donegal....but something bugged the others and they refused to stay.

I dont know did they only complain when they arrived, or were they complaining from the moment they left Dublin? Whatever it was, it seems their main problem was the distance between Donegal and Dublin....they were brought back to Dublin after a few hours of complaining....the story was reported on RTE, in the Irish Independent and locally in the Donegal Democrat. Their complaints baffled the asylum seekers who were already comfortably ensconced in the hostel, and some of them felt bad about how the Congolese behaved as they felt it would reflect badly on all the asylum seekers in Donegal...there was a follow-up story locally in the Donegal Democrat with vox pops from locals and also from the asylum seekers who liked Donegal and who wanted to stay...they were apologising for the behaviour of the Congolese...I never discovered what it was that bugged the Congolese who objected to staying in Donegal, but personally I felt that they felt that they would be less likely to obtain black market work in Donegal as opposed to Dublin, and I feel that that was their objection to being so far from Dublin and nothing else...perhaps also the attraction of a big city with its bright lights and social scene was more than the attraction that Donegal could provide? Maybe there was a different reason and I could be wrong, but I never discovered....incidentally many Congolese (apart from this group) have stayed in Cliff View down the years...and they have often been remined by other clients in the hostel of the legacy of the Congolese from 2000....oh finally some of the 17 or so Congolese were related, but not all of them of course
    Racist rant littered with " I think", "maybe","I don't know", and "perhaps", also factually inaccurate.

shocked at being called a racist...if you only knew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Racist rant littered with " I think", "maybe","I don't know", and "perhaps", also factually inaccurate.

Hey listen, there is no need to be throwing the rascist thing around, he is giving an opinion on what was a well known occurance in Hostels that were well of the beaten track. I dont see anywhere in the post that Gives out about them being here or anything that would incite hatred, thats the **** you posted son. troll feeding and all that

• Advertisement

I am shocked hurt and deeply offended at being called a racist...totally inappropriate and incorrect to label me a racist....in fact I am in a mixed race relationship and probably have more non-white friends than white friends. I dont know what to do and feel flabbergasted abused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Fuinseog wrote: »
    A lithuanian who was defrauding the state was ordered to leave Ireland. its hardly a punishment for him as he is living abroad already. giving out relaxed attititude towards checking passports he will probably come back again anyway. he should have been jailed as an example to others.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lithuanian-in-welfare-tourism-scam-ordered-to-leave-country-3195912.html

Hoe does it work anyway? do they fly in once a week or once a month. i think in some cases the money is paid into an Irish bank account.

Yeah, take the 800 euros a month in taxpayer money off him and then shell out 4000 a month in taxpayer money to imprison him.

Good economics there, Buffett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I live in Donegal and I remember when the group of Congolese Asylum Seekers objected to being accommodated in Donegal and were brought back to Dublin. I might be able to shed some light but not much on the incident. Apologies in advance for going on too long (if I do)

First a bit of History: In the year 2000 due to a growth in the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland, the Government decided to accommodate asylum seekers in "direct provision" hostels distributed throughout the country. Asylum seekers in these new centres, received accommodation (shared en-suite rooms of up to 10 in bunks, but usually accommodating between 2-6 people), meals were also provided (often chips and other fried frozen foods), as were laundry facilities (washing machine, drier, and iron), and all adults were given an allowance of I think £15 per week, or so, to pay for any expenses like cigarettes, toiletries, clothes etc. Asylum seekers had medical cards so did receive treatment from GPs and prescriptions free. There were no other benefits as far as I know. Children of asylum seekers were not entitled to childrens allowance but instead parents were given the £15 allowance per week and children were given half that I think, £7.50 per week. I dont know how nappies were afforded, or formula etc...anyway Prior to 2000 asylum seekers were accommodated in the private rental sector, similar scheme to anyone who was on social welfare, and asylum seekers received a weekly allowance equivalent to the dole, but different in that they were not permitted to work.....this situation existed in the 1990's but by 2000 the number of asylum seekers arriving in Ireland grew and the system was overwhelmed, so the Govt introduced Direct Provision in hostels in 2000 probably to try to contol the costs. There were other benefits for the state with the creation of the Direct Provision system.....eg there was sufficient anecdotal evidence that many asylum seekers were working in the black economy (primarily in the Dublin area the economic hub of the country), by distributing asylum seekers far and wide throughout the country away from Dublin it was hoped that the opportunities for working in the black economy would be reduced. It was also felt by Govt that it would be better for asylum seekers to be randomly distributed around the state....

The Hostels which came into the scheme in 2000 were of different types. Some like the hostel in Donegal Town were previously tourist hostels...the owners were well aware that adapting the hostels for asylum seekers was obviously more profitable than retaining them as tourist hostels...though obviously there were also management issues with some asylum seekers

The 17 or so Congolese asylum seekers (as far as I recall they were from the DRC former Zaire not the Republic of Congo) who arrived in Donegal to be accommodated in Cliff View Hostel objected to being located in Donegal, I dont think they complained about the accommodation per se, but it was the fact that they were being located in Dublin ie so far from Dublin (the economic hub of the state). They were not the first asylum seekers to be allocated accommodation in Cliff View Hostel, in fact quite a few other asylum seekers from various states were already accommodated in Cliff View for weeks/months without any major complaint. In addition I think that there were other asylum seekers from the group that included the objecting Congolese who traveled up together from Dublin but who were satisfied with Donegal and did NOT complain and stayed in Donegal....but something bugged the others and they refused to stay.

I dont know did they only complain when they arrived, or were they complaining from the moment they left Dublin? Whatever it was, it seems their main problem was the distance between Donegal and Dublin....they were brought back to Dublin after a few hours of complaining....the story was reported on RTE, in the Irish Independent and locally in the Donegal Democrat. Their complaints baffled the asylum seekers who were already comfortably ensconced in the hostel, and some of them felt bad about how the Congolese behaved as they felt it would reflect badly on all the asylum seekers in Donegal...there was a follow-up story locally in the Donegal Democrat with vox pops from locals and also from the asylum seekers who liked Donegal and who wanted to stay...they were apologising for the behaviour of the Congolese...I never discovered what it was that bugged the Congolese who objected to staying in Donegal, but personally I felt that they felt that they would be less likely to obtain black market work in Donegal as opposed to Dublin, and I feel that that was their objection to being so far from Dublin and nothing else...perhaps also the attraction of a big city with its bright lights and social scene was more than the attraction that Donegal could provide? Maybe there was a different reason and I could be wrong, but I never discovered....incidentally many Congolese (apart from this group) have stayed in Cliff View down the years...and they have often been remined by other clients in the hostel of the legacy of the Congolese from 2000....oh finally some of the 17 or so Congolese were related, but not all of them of course

Someone should snap up the film rights to that, it's a serious tale. 17 black people were accommodated somewhere, didn't like it and were sent somewhere else and I don't know the reason why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yeah, take the 800 euros a month in taxpayer money off him and then shell out 4000 a month in taxpayer money to imprison him.

Good economics there, Buffett.

It's about justice and punishment, not money.

Otherwise we could save millions by just opening the cell doors and releasing all prisoners today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Good bedtime story

Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A man who fraudulently claimed social welfare to fund his lifestyle in Poland has been fined €1,500. Tim Kennelly (45), who is originally from Rathea, Listowel, Co Kerry but has been living in Poland since his marriage, continued to return home once a month to sign on.
    Detective Garda Paul Walsh told Listowel District Court that between January 17, 2012, and January 15, 2013, Kennelly had claimed €7,520 to which he wasn't entitled.
    The court heard the money paid in restitution had been gathered with help from his extended family.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/fraudster-funded-life-in-poland-with-7250-from-dole-29156819.html

Fined €1,500 and repays the theft of €7,520. Fair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Indo ads should be banned on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fuinseog wrote: »

take a hike if you have no contribution to make. its a simple thread in order to find out how the process works.
    if the loophole is obvious then it should be tightened.

I think she was making a joke. If you're looking for benefits advice there is a more serious forum for that.

Advertisement