Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saucony progrid omni 11

Options
  • 10-08-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a fairly casual runner. I'm 44, 183cm, 95KG and do about 4 or 5 10k's a year. I train 3-4 times a week doing about 18k on a treadmill in the gym and 8km on the road at the weekend.

I over pronate so always get pronation supporting trainers. I usually go with the Brooks brand but tried and liked the feel of a pair of Saucony progrid omni 11's yesterday. See http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?stockNumber=20155-1&showDefaultOption=true&skuId=***4********20155-1*M115&productId=4-109720&searched=true and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awvedkmywo

They feel very good and their pronation support is very good but when I tried them on the treadmill this morning I had two issues:-

1. I felt as if my calf muscles were being stretched which I put down to the fact that the heel on these trainers is only 8mm as opposed to the 12mm found in most other trainers including the Brooks trainers I'm used to. The product info says "The heel-to-toe offset has been adjusted from 12mm to 8mm to promote a more balanced, efficient stride throughout the gait cycle"

2. I had to stop running after 4km as the soles of my feet were burning off me. I know from experience that it always takes a few sessions to break in a new pair of trainers and have always experienced a certain amount of 'burn' on the soles of my feet when wearing brand new trainers but it felt much worse in these which again I'm putting down to the fact that with a lower heel the soles of my feet are probably working a little harder or certainly impacting the ground in a different way. Long term that could be a good thing but it's planted seeds of doubt in my mind.

I know I can bring them back and exchange them for a pair of Brooks but before I do I'd like to get feedback from anyone else on here who uses the same with this model of trainer. Did you have any similar experiences? Did the feet burn go away fairly quickly?

BTW this is only relevant to the "11" model of trainer. Previous versions of the Saucony progrid omni didn't have the 8mm heel to toe offset.

Cheers,

Ben

Advertisement