Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Fittings for Confined Space

Options
  • 10-08-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have just begun the process of fitting out a new retail premises and was hoping for some advice on fluorescent light fittings. The main drawback to the premises is the low ceilings which I can't do anything about. I would like to source the lowest profile fluorescent fittings available and am a bit bamboozled by the variety of fittings on the market. My builder and his crew don't seem particularly knowledgeable on the subject, he has suggested recessed halogens but I really would prefer to avoid the expense. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have just begun the process of fitting out a new retail premises and was hoping for some advice on fluorescent light fittings. The main drawback to the premises is the low ceilings which I can't do anything about. I would like to source the lowest profile fluorescent fittings available and am a bit bamboozled by the variety of fittings on the market. My builder and his crew don't seem particularly knowledgeable on the subject, he has suggested recessed halogens but I really would prefer to avoid the expense. Any suggestions?

Good quality mains voltage LED lamps perhaps.

Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056469034

What size area are you trying to light?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The main drawback to the premises is the low ceilings which I can't do anything about ....suggested recessed halogens but I really would prefer to avoid the expense. Any suggestions?

two things here, I assume you mean the running expense of the halogen lamps? as you wont get a cheaper fitting than a halogen fitting.

Also they must be the hottest lamp (bar a heat lamp LOL) that you ca get so if you have customers, low ceiling and burning hot lamps.

+1 with 2011

Also LED strip lighting might work for effect lighting, anything with a t5 fluorescent lamp would be fairly economical. You can get LED T5 lamps but the fittings are expensive at the moment , but on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

hi is the ceiling slabbed or suspended tiles, if suspended tile id recommend 600 by 600 light fittings that sit directly in place of a ceiling tile and are flush with the ceiling

if slabbed then there are numerous recessed lights on the market normal ones we use are about 260mm - 300mm wide so make take a few extra to cover area

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

If it's a low ceiling height I'd be avoiding halogens unless you've got good public liability insurance. :D

You don't mention what the retail space is, do you need lighting for display purposes could you use wall lighting. Is there any recess in the ceiling..

Could the builder build a bulk head around the ceiling where you could put lights up above and hidden from view. you could use rope lighting or florescent lights end to end.

A bit more info would be needed but if you go into a lighting showroom or wholesalers they'll have brochures.

Advertisement