Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving white goods from Wales to Dublin

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi, my parents are selling a rental house in the UK and have a number of white goods in good condition e.g. Bosch fridge freezer, dishwasher etc. I would like to go over and transport these back by ferry (storage has been arranged in a relatives house). I am just not sure what the cheapest way of doing this is. I was considering hiring a van, getting ferry and make the return journey. A friend suggested that I could fly over hire a van in the uk and then do the ferry trip back. Does anyone know if is this possible? Or does anyone have any other ideas? The whole idea of this is to save money so want to keep costs as low as I can! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

tink2 wrote: »
    Hi, my parents are selling a rental house in the UK and have a number of white goods in good condition e.g. Bosch fridge freezer, dishwasher etc. I would like to go over and transport these back by ferry (storage has been arranged in a relatives house). I am just not sure what the cheapest way of doing this is. I was considering hiring a van, getting ferry and make the return journey. A friend suggested that I could fly over hire a van in the uk and then do the ferry trip back. Does anyone know if is this possible? Or does anyone have any other ideas? The whole idea of this is to save money so want to keep costs as low as I can! Thanks
    If you fly to the UK, hire a van there, bring your stuff to Ireland, you will have to return the van to the UK and then fly back to Ireland - 4 trips.

If you hire a van in Ireland and take it to the UK, load up and return to Ireland - 2 trips.

Value the second-hand goods against the price of the van hire + fuel + 2 way journey and see if it would be worth the hassle as against selling the goods in the UK and having the money.

You can get a good idea of the cost by checking van hire sites and ferry sites on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Considering the current prices of white goods it might e cheaper to buy brand new ones then spending a lot of time and money to get used ones from Wales to Ireland.

The only way I would do is to find a freight company that would pick them up and then deliver them to you in Ireland. Less hassle and most likely cheaper.

doing it yourself you are probably looking at at least 700 Euro for Ferry, Flights and Van, potentially more. For that money you could get a brand new Washing machine, Fridge Freezer and Dryer in Ireland delivered to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We went through this when we moved from Scotland, and decided reluctantly that it was just not worth it cost wise. It really isn't.

We were selling the house and in the end sold the appliances before we left .

Advertisement