Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Infraction

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I believe I received an unfair infraction. I responded to this post
    As if an ideological member of the heavy gang like yourself wants to see reunification MagicSean.

I wish people like yourself and Lord Sutch would be honest.

You have an anti SF agenda which is why you started this thread as an attack on a SF member. I don't see anything wrong with his comments, he said that people should have been consulted and seen as they didn't putting up signs was a waste of money as anyone could see that they would be removed by residents.

You don't give a damn about tourists, or giving people information. (signs dealing with that are of course already there)

with this
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Yawn. I don't agree with Sinn Fein so I must be a unionist right? Pathetic.

I support a unified Ireland. I think it will be brought about by cooperation and integration, not by ignoring the current reality and looking for any reason to have a fight. I despise the use of violence or illegality to bring about the unification. I dislike the hypocricy of Sinn Fein because I am smart enough to see they are nothing but populists.

One look at your username will tell anyone what kind of person you are. You run around playing soldiers all you want and support the murder of innocents. The mature people will keep working towards a unified and integrated Ireland where everyone has a say and everyone feels welcome.

I was accused of being "uncivil" by the mod.

I cannot see anything in the charter about being uncivil. The rule is against personal abuse. There is no such personal abuse in this post. I merely referenced the origin of the posters username which is both an ethnic slur and a name used by a terrorist organisation to describe themselves. My post is perfectly accurate and if the poster doesn't like its origins or its meaning he should change it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi MagicSean

One of the rec Cmods will look at this shortly and get back to you.

Thanks.

Micky

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello MagicSean.

Just checked into this for you. Clearly we have an emotive topic on our hands here. So you have to understand from my point of view it looks like hotheadedness resulted in unnecessary dialogue which was personal in nature.
    One look at your username will tell anyone what kind of person you are. You run around playing soldiers all you want and support the murder of innocents.

This kind of leading commentary is personal in nature, off topic and unfair to the other person. It doesn't add much to the argument.... I take your point above however I feel that the manner in which you expressed your opinion on thread crossed the line.

Following on from this I have to say that I believe the infraction was correct in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Hello MagicSean.

Just checked into this for you. Clearly we have an emotive topic on our hands here. So you have to understand from my point of view it looks like hotheadedness resulted in unnecessary dialogue which was personal in nature.

This kind of leading commentary is personal in nature, off topic and unfair to the other person. It doesn't add much to the argument.... I take your point above however I feel that the manner in which you expressed your opinion on thread crossed the line.

Following on from this I have to say that I believe the infraction was correct in this instance.

it's no more personal than the comment i was replying to which received no infraction nor some of the other comments made against me which received no infraction. It seems a little unfair and biased that i am the only one to be punished for gettin a little emotive when a simple warning would have calmed everyone down. It's not like the thread wasn't being moderated. There had already been a ban issued.

it's no more personal than the comment i was replying to which received no infraction nor some of the other comments made against me which received no infraction. It seems a little unfair and biased that i am the only one to be punished for gettin a little emotive when a simple warning would have calmed everyone down. It's not like the thread wasn't being moderated. There had already been a ban issued.

Well parking the issue of another post we're here to discuss the infraction you got.
    One look at your username will tell anyone what kind of person you are. You run around playing soldiers all you want and support the murder of innocents.
    I think this crossed the line and an infraction is deserved.

As we're not here to discuss the infractions of others I would say report the other post if you feel it crosses the line. In my opinion, as much as anyone can measure such things, on a sliding scale, your comment is more personal and unnecessary when taken in isolation.

However that is not really a debate we want to get into here on what is a thread querying your infraction.

So, from my point of view, I think that in this instance the line was crossed, the post was too personal, however in the vast majority of your posts in AH this is not an issue. I stand by the infraction in this case

I did report other posts and nothing was done so I'm sure you can see why feel a little hard done by here.

In relation to the comment, my view still stands. A persons username is chosen by them. If they don't like where their username originates from they can change it. If they keep the name then they can be assumed to be ok with what it means. A person who uses the name Fenian Army can easily be assumed to support the views of the group he named himself for, a group responsable for many a person being killed.

• Advertisement

I did report other posts and nothing was done so I'm sure you can see why feel a little hard done by here.

In relation to the comment, my view still stands. A persons username is chosen by them. If they don't like where their username originates from they can change it. If they keep the name then they can be assumed to be ok with what it means. A person who uses the name Fenian Army can easily be assumed to support the views of the group he named himself for, a group responsable for many a person being killed.

This depends on your definition of the term fenian.

Seeing as how that's open to interpretation I think it's unfair to suggest that it's OK to take your own interpretation of the situation and use that to bash another person.

This depends on your definition of the term fenian.

Seeing as how that's open to interpretation I think it's unfair to suggest that it's OK to take your own interpretation of the situation and use that to bash another person.

It's not open to interpretation at all. Even if you go back to the origin of the word it referred to a group of warriors tasked with defending Ireland. In more recent history it was a group of revolutionaries in America who attacked the British for Irish freedom. In modern times it is used as an ethnic slur. Where is the openess to interpretation? If a user called himself KKK would you be happy to leave him be because it is open to interpretation? I think not. The word Fenian is a word steeped in ethnic violence from its origin.

I disagree.

I am not getting into a semantic discussion and I stand by the infraction.

I disagree.

I am not getting into a semantic discussion and I stand by the infraction.

You started the discussion by claiming the phrase was open to interpretation. I've explained to you how it isn't and so you just decide to close the discussion.

Is there even any point to starting threads in this forum?

You started the discussion by claiming the phrase was open to interpretation. I've explained to you how it isn't and so you just decide to close the discussion.

Is there even any point to starting threads in this forum?

Well as I said I've looked into it. My point of view differs to yours. I will query with the mods about the other post but this infraction seems legitimate to me.

I guess at this point I will have to leave this one up to the admins for a final answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I've looked at the infraction, I think it is both fair & legitimate.

Legitimate in that the comment crossed the line, and fair in that you have raised your objection, and had that objection reviewed by mod/cmod/admin.
    It seems a little unfair and biased that i am the only one to be punished for gettin a little emotive when a simple warning would have calmed everyone down.

Consider the infraction as a simple warning; you've not been banned and are free to post so long as you don't cross the line.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement