Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which airy lid?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I currently have an old specialized Air Force 3 helmet. The big issue I have with it is it has a big pad in the centre of the forehead and it gets very warm and sweaty here.
    I was looking at upgrading to something more ventilated and want to get a end of season bargain.

This Giro Atmos looks a good deal and has a nice looking vent at the forehead part.
    I have tried on a cheapo Giro which was comfortable but not this model.

Also this Scott Vanish also looks like a great deal as a Scott Addict :)

Are more racing style helmets ok for everyday commute knocks? Bear in mind I commute everyday on a carbon frame that hasn't exploded yet.
    Any other recommendations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Make sure it matches your jersey, Shorts, socks etc. ;)

(I'm a Giro man myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Make sure it matches your jersey, Shorts, socks etc. ;)
    understood :)
    (I'm a Giro man myself)
    Which one and how do you find it heatwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

(I'm a Giro man myself)

+1 have a saros its fine (i have a 10 year old exodus as well, its fine too)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

flatface wrote: »
    understood :)

Which one and how do you find it heatwise?

This is Ireland... no problem with heat! :D

The "Atmos" is fine, though Helmets are a bit like saddles, everyone is different so i suggest you call into your LBS and try a few on.

As for different vents, weight etc.? Just buy the one the fits you best. (comfort is more important)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

€10 Aldi helmet, cheap, comfy, and even has a light on the back. Rumour has it that it protects you 100% in the case of high speed collisions, going under HGVs, zombie attack, and very minor knocks to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I have a Giro Indicator which I've only been using regularly for 3 months now and I've already got a bad case of 'stinky helmet'. The headband gets soaked and although you can take it off and wash it, it's a bit flimsy.

Reckon I might also go for a more ventilated lid. The Giro Atmos you linked certainly looks like much more open.

This is Ireland... no problem with heat! :D

The "Atmos" is fine, though Helmets are a bit like saddles, everyone is different so i suggest you call into your LBS and try a few on.

As for different vents, weight etc.? Just buy the one the fits you best. (comfort is more important)

Well the heat is generated by me!

My present one does get uncomfortably hot when I get climbing. I have tried on a few in the LBS but they all seem to feel OK just standing around a shop so I do like to hear all of your opinions as most have had experience of a fair few helmets on the road.

Has anyone tried one of the Scott helmets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a cheap no name thing that is very light and very comfortable, I'm just not sure how it would stand up to a hard knock. I also have this giant humungous enormous Raleigh helmet that I was given. It's like a fricken umbrella on my head even though it's quite comfortable but I just look plain daft in it so I ordered a BBB Hawk helmet purely because it has10 large vents unlike most that have 427 bloody vents and it just looks way nicer than anything else on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

This is what i use, very light and airy.

Dont skimp on safty!
    http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?pc=2&pt=241&pg=8284

• Advertisement
Advertisement