Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel direct debit with BOI?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Can I cancel them online or do I have to give written notice? What is the correct procedure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I would be fairly sure you need to send them a written instruction. I'm not with bank of Ireland, but look in internet banking and see if there's a record of your direct debits, if so you can probably cancel it from there too. I know with AIB you could manage your direct debits online.

You could always give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

It lists the direct debits online and there is the option to cancel them, I was just wondering is this allowed or are you 'by law' required to give 28 days written notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

In my experience, you can cancel the direct debit on the account if the account is setu in your 365 online profile.

You may need to give notice to whatever company is making the debit - stopping the debit directly via the bank will cause it to bounce back to the company making the charge. They may then charge you penalties if you have not met their terms for cancellation.... you'd need to be careful about this. I suggest contact the company making the debits first so that they are aware you are cancelling whatever service they provide. Once your account with them is settled they should not use the direct debit again.

For example, when I moved from ESB to Eirtricity, I cancelled my ESB debits once the provider transfer has completed. This was just to make sure that ESB didnt debit me again in error...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all,

Thanks for getting in touch.

A direct debit can be cancelled from an account by contacting your branch directly, submitting your request in writing to your account holding branch or alternatively if your account is set up with Banking365, then the direct debit can also be cancelled online.

We would always recommend when cancelling a direct debit that you notify the company involved.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I recently set up my first ever Direct Debit with a company a few week's ago. I got sent out a Direct Debit Guarantee (DD Plus) form and all.

When I check banking 365 it still does not show up. When should it show up? Is it only when I actually get my first bill from the company sent out or should it be showing up now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Delta2113,

The Direct Debit will only show up on your list of Direct Debits on 365online when it's first presented by the company.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Hi Delta2113,

The Direct Debit will only show up on your list of Direct Debits on 365online when it's first presented by the company.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

If I switch to another bank and choose the option to close my old account i.e. with BOI - will you provide my new bank with my direct debit details even when it has not been presented yet by the company to BOI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Delta2113.

We are sorry to see you may be considering closing your account with us.

As part of the switching process, we will advise any direct debit originators of your new account details. We will then send a complete list of all standing orders and direct debits to you. A copy of this list will also be sent to your new bank.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.
    Laura

So even though my direct debit does not show up in the list on banking 365 (never presented by the company)  - if i change current account to another bank or building society they will get the details on a list of this direct debit?

I'm sorry but I'lll have to move - I cant justify paying €20 a year to BOI for one direct debit that will never be presented.

I might wait until Feb 2014 to switch as no activity on my current account now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for posting.

It might be worth calling your branch to see if the Direct Debit is active or not.
    If it is active, the company presented for it and a transaction appeared on your account, the Maintenance Fee would then apply.

A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
Advertisement