Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will AIB Maestro work for UK Car Hire?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Anyone know if an AIB Maestro card will work for UK car hire; I have already paid using another persons credit card but they won't be with me on the day.

I could bring their credit card and use that but I guess if I was asked to sign something they won't accept me signing my name.

I read something about pre-authorising debit cards but not sure how that works or if it will work with AIB Maestro cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Generally not.

Car Hire companies require a credit card in the main drivers name. They're generally not very flexible on the bits in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If they accept laser card then your Maestro will work virtually anywhere in the world (that accepts master card). Ideally though you should pay cash, as you will incur (possibly) foreign transaction surcharge (usually upwards of 2 euro) plus a higher than normal exchange rate for the convenience of doing it via your card.

Edit - sorry re above and car hire, I'd imagine that's correct, they would want a credit card. Wasn't thinking, but in terms of using your maestro over there, it would be no problem, but try and use cash to save on multiple charges. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

[Jackass] wrote: »
    If they accept laser card then your Maestro will work virtually anywhere in the world (that accepts master card). Ideally though you should pay cash, as you will incur (possibly) foreign transaction surcharge (usually upwards of 2 euro) plus a higher than normal exchange rate for the convenience of doing it via your card.

very few rental companies allow payment via cash

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

I worked with a car rental company in Edinburgh and maestro cards are accepted. I took laser cards no problem. You can pay in cash BUT the deposit has to be on a credit card in the DRIVERS name. i.e you cant use your wifes/friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Thanks for replies.

Just to clarify; I have already paid;

I believe the reason they need the credit/debit card is just in case their was additional charges for fuel/damages etc.

I think your right about the card needing to be in the drivers name so I'm probably screwed there but is their a way they could put a hold on my Maestro debit card (pre-authorisation I think its called).

• Advertisement

dricko_lim wrote: »
    I worked with a car rental company in Edinburgh and maestro cards are accepted. I took laser cards no problem. You can pay in cash BUT the deposit has to be on a credit card in the DRIVERS name. i.e you cant use your wifes/friends etc.

Thanks dricko; that's what I was hoping to hear- do you think that might be the same with most companies throughout the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

atech wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.

Just to clarify; I have already paid;

I believe the reason they need the credit/debit card is just in case their was additional charges for fuel/damages etc.

I think your right about the card needing to be in the drivers name so I'm probably screwed there but is their a way they could put a hold on my Maestro debit card (pre-authorisation I think its called).

I don't think they can 'hold' on maestro cards, which is why they would normally prefer Visa or Mastercard.

I've read on Trip Advisor that the USA car hire companies accept pre-paid Visas (like o2 money card) for this sort of thing now. Could be the same in the UK too.

The best thing to do is ring the car hire company and ask. They will give you a definitive answer as to what your options are.

Thanks dricko; that's what I was hoping to hear- do you think that might be the same with most companies throughout the UK?

Not sure if I can mention the company I worked for but I doubt that will be the same for every company. The company I worked for takes payments on the day so since you already paid cant say for sure what the terms are. The deposit is not a pre authorisation its taken in full form your card with the one I worked with.

Not sure if I can mention the company I worked for but I doubt that will be the same for every company. The company I worked for takes payments on the day so since you already paid cant say for sure what the terms are. The deposit is not a pre authorisation its taken in full form your card with the one I worked with.

Any chance you could PM me the name because I may need to cancel with the crowd I'm with if they don't accept Maestro.

Any chance you could PM me the name because I may need to cancel with the crowd I'm with if they don't accept Maestro.

sent!

• Advertisement

sent!

Thanks dricko,

The airport branch was actually cheaper that the ones further out and only a small bit more than the last crowd I booked with for a similar car.

Tried ringing to confirm they take Maestro but they rang out so I'll have a look for other companies first.

If anyone knows a rental company in Gatwick that takes Maestro please let me know.

All sorted.

They accepted debit cards with the numbers raised which weren't the pre-paid ones.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement