Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a nappy wrapper

Options
  • 10-08-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

After holding out for a year, I have had enough of stinky disposable nappies and am considering getting a nappy wrapper thingy.

Which ones would you recommend?

A few of my friends have them and have frequently given out about how expensive the refills are or that they are hard to find, so I guess I'd like to know which ones have inexpensive refills that are easily found in shops.

Also if I get one second hand on Adverts is there a difference between older and newer models and the refills needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

you mean like those Tommee Tippee Sangenic bins?

We had one for the first few months, and while the nappies were small it was great. But now that the monster is a bit bigger and so are his nappies, the bin fills up in no time, and the refills for the sangenic are stupidly expensive. You can get deals from time to time, especially online, but it's still not worth it, in my opinion.

We're just going with supercheap Tesco nappy bags (300 for under a Euro) to contain the smell, and off into the normal bin they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have an angelcare one. It's ok. I wouldn't rave about it, as it isn't as airtight as it could be. but the refills do last s while, and it compresses down the anooies so they take up way less space in the bin/landfill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

galah wrote: »
    you mean like those Tommee Tippee Sangenic bins?

We had one for the first few months, and while the nappies were small it was great. But now that the monster is a bit bigger and so are his nappies, the bin fills up in no time, and the refills for the sangenic are stupidly expensive. You can get deals from time to time, especially online, but it's still not worth it, in my opinion.

We're just going with supercheap Tesco nappy bags (300 for under a Euro) to contain the smell, and off into the normal bin they go.

exactly the same with us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Unless you're living in an apartment where it's a hassle to get to the bin, I think they're a waste of money and plastic.

I wrap the nappies up in themselves, if it's a big pooh, I shake it down the toilet and then wrap. I have a bin in the utility room and empty it into the wheelie bin at night. Disposable nappies are wasteful enough besides wrapping them in more plastic! If the smell in the house is an issue, I have a brabantia bin in the kitchen that is so good at keeping smells in that a friend of mine wants to use them for her patients for colostomy bags. Here's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

The refills do make them quite dear unfortunately. I did get a Tommee Tippee one that was on half price special offer through Tesco.
    I used to get about 3 weeks out of it with my then 18 month old, but I think the refills were about a tenner each or thereabouts :eek:

I did find it a lot handier to use than nappy bags but prohibitively expensive.
    If you do go for one, take a look at the price of refills on amazon.co.uk, I found them a lot cheaper there.
    If you go for an angelcare one, send me as sae & I'll post you on 3 refills. I bought them on amazon by mistake thinking they would fit my tommee tippee bin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided against it. I guess I just wanted to not have to take the bin out so regularly, but its not any real hassle so I'm just being lazy.

Incidently I was at my friends house yesterday and I noticed that she is using the sangenic bin just as a bin and wrapping the nappies in cheapy tesco nappy bags.

I use cloth nappies a good bit and its funny that the disposable bin is much more smelly. But there you go, I'll be saving my money and getting tesco value nappy bags for the disposables instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I have the Tommee Tippee Sangenic one. I love it to bits. Our changing table is in our bedroom, and is a bit of a trek to the back door for the bin, so something to keep the smell in is important. The refills are expensive, there's no doubt about that, but honestly worth it to me to save the time and effort. I am prohibitively lazy :) I have not found that nappy bags do the trick with the odour, but this bin does. It could do with being a little bigger, but otherwise is perfect.

For refills, I keep an eye on deals locally. Our local boots did them a while back at €13 for 3,and I stocked up massively, the usual price is about €17. Our local Tesco has them at roughly €8 each, but €30 for 3!, and they have been mispriced this way for nearly 5 months. each refill usually lasts me around a week or so. Izzy has just moved in to Pampers 4+, just to give you an idea of the size of nappy we're using it for.

Advertisement