Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD 64GB or 128GB?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Looking into purchasing an SSD as I've run into some funds. I'm just wondering if 64GB would be enough for the OS and a few programs like CREO 5.0. I'm not looking to put any games on it. Or would I be better suited going for the 128GB version? I know it's the better choice obviously but I'm just trying to save a little money if I can. If the 64GB version is too small I've no probelm in getting the 128GB one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd go with 128GB. It gives you a bit of room to play with. Plus, they're a lot cheaper now. I paid 170 euro for mine 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

64GB is a bit small - the sweet spot of cost / cap for me was 128GB. With 64GB you have to be very careful what gets written to the drive - to the point where your are micromanaging.

Bear in mind 64GB = 59GB formatted less 15% as you don't want to fill an SSD (effects performance) = 50GB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

128GB is the minimum for a gamer these days. I've filled mine with two games, Visual Studio, Eclipse, no media whatsoever and a few smaller applications, and I'm going to need to uninstall a few of those so I can dual boot into Backtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Cool thanks guys. Just put the order through there. Looking forward to getting it and the blu ray drive.

• Advertisement

Why a Blue Ray? With a Blue-Ray player on a PC you'll need to buy extra software to watch movies plus, your gear needs to be HDCP compatible. The DRM crap that you will need to put up with makes getting a standalone player a better option in the end.

Maybe he just wants to be able to write to disks? At some point games will probably come on them too, as they get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They almost shouldn't bother selling those 64gb SSDs, they would be a headache. I have 80gb and it's a constant pain trying to keep it clean.

Saruman wrote: »
    Maybe he just wants to be able to write to disks? At some point games will probably come on them too, as they get bigger.

I can't get past Saruman and into home brewing. How cool is that. :cool:

The future is downloading games direct to your PC.

I can't get past Saruman and into home brewing. How cool is that. :cool:

The future is downloading games direct to your PC.

Very cool when you consider I always have 2 beers on tap at home :D

• Advertisement

Why a Blue Ray? With a Blue-Ray player on a PC you'll need to buy extra software to watch movies plus, your gear needs to be HDCP compatible. The DRM crap that you will need to put up with makes getting a standalone player a better option in the end.

I don't happen to own a stand alone full hd tv so buying a stand alone blu ray player would be a waste.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I don't happen to own a stand alone full hd tv so buying a stand alone blu ray player would be a waste.
    Blue Ray on a PC is a hassle. The pain is you need software to play the movies and that's about another 50-70 euro's http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4090069&cid=catalog20038&segid=4400002&storeKey=us&languageCode=en
    And, getting it work right is painful because of all the DRM crap from the movie companies force on us. You will buy a movie and find out you need to wait a week or two for your software to be updated. A friend of mine said the software was worse then a virus. Plus, your monitor and video card need to be HDCP compatible or it wont work.
    I'm just giving you a heads up is all. A lot of people don't realise this. :)

Blue Ray on a PC is a hassle. The pain is you need software to play the movies and that's about another 50-70 euro's http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4090069&cid=catalog20038&segid=4400002&storeKey=us&languageCode=en
    And, getting it work right is painful because of all the DRM crap from the movie companies force on us. You will buy a movie and find out you need to wait a week or two for your software to be updated. A friend of mine said the software was worse then a virus. Plus, your monitor and video card need to be HDCP compatible or it wont work.
    I'm just giving you a heads up is all. A lot of people don't realise this. :)

O, ok. Cheers for that. I had no idea. I'll cancel that then. Could i just use the monitor and get a bluray player with a DVI output?

If I were you I'd just put the money toward something else. Blue Ray is another Sony fail.

If I were you I'd just put the money toward something else. Blue Ray is another Sony fail.

O ok. On another note, what's the story with cancelling an order from dabs? I placed the order today but seem to be unable to cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just email them.

Advertisement