Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I listened to Miriam O Callaghan's interview from 2 years ago with Peter & Katie Taylor. Such humble people and it's great to see them getting their dues after a lifetime of dedication to boxing.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3363598%3A0%3A%3A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

paddy147 wrote: »
    Id love to see John Joe Nevin get gold

Odds on favourute in my mind as Campbell looked to be very tired after yesterdays bout. By contrast Nevin looked fresh and ready for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

George Hamilton pissing himself laughing this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Think the two lads on RTE were on the beer before the 50k walk this morning.

Andrzej Jezierski won the B final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Aidric wrote: »
    I listened to Miriam O Callaghan's interview from 2 years ago with Peter & Katie Taylor. Such humble people and it's great to see them getting their dues after a lifetime of dedication to boxing.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3363598%3A0%3A%3A

Would be nice if they recognised her acheivement by painting her local post box Gold like they have done for all the team GB gold medal winners. Failing that, maybe Bray council would comission and erect a statue of Katie near the boxing club in bray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Watching a bit of Modern Pentatalon. So fencing, whats that all about?

Well done Andrzej Jezierski winning the B final. Pity how the paces in the final were decided, he should have been in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

9th overall so another good performance. He deserved final place on times, but was not meant to be.

Canoeing and Kayaking are sports we could and should look to invest in. Not like we are short on water.

"Who is Posh Spice?" :D The lads have definitely been on the beer,they cudnt give a flying fu*k about the walk

• Advertisement

Is Nevin a member of the travelling community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

What is David Beckham thing going on it the Olympics, I seen shaking the athletes hand like he was some sort of royalty. He was OK as a footballer, he was a better male model. I suppose it must be his intellect that we all love and adore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Aidric wrote: »
    Is Nevin a member of the travelling community?

He is

Colmustard wrote: »
    What is David Beckham thing going on it the Olympics, I seen shaking the athletes hand like he was some sort of royalty. He was OK as a footballer, he was a better male model. I suppose it must be his intellect that we all love and adore.

Ah that's harsh. He was a figurehead for the London Olympic bid and has worked hard as part of the committee. He was excluded from the football squad but asked to act in an ambassador type role for the competitions.

His worldwide profile gives gravitas.

Tom Daley Tis an awful lot of pressure on that young lads shoulders. Come on Tom just tell them all to fuk-off.

32 medals to be decided today I'm not going to get anything done today.

32 medals to be decided today I'm not going to get anything done today.

I have had other plans but they can now wait. I'm here for the day.

Race Walking. Put the super slo-mo on them, and they are all running.

:D

The diver must get a pain in their bolllox going up those stairs, I would want a lift. I wonder what my marks would be for a bellyflop

Colmustard wrote: »
    The diver must get a pain in their bolllox going up those stairs, I would want a lift. I wonder what my marks would be for a bellyflop

I'd say they would be quite red.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

why all the different rounds for the diving, why not 1 qually round and the top 15 fight it out, yesterday Tom was saying about the amount of work needed to get to the final,

what was he training for over the last four years, did nobody tell him, I hate the moaners,

oh its been a tough season and a long competition, man up and perform, if you lose accept it and move on, less of the excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rob Heffernan looking good in the walk at the mo - there is another 2 and half hours to go though......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

why all the different rounds for the diving, why not 1 qually round and the top 15 fight it out, yesterday Tom was saying about the amount of work needed to get to the final,

what was he training for over the last four years, did nobody tell him, I hate the moaners,

oh its been a tough season and a long competition, man up and perform, if you lose accept it and move on, less of the excuses.

Apparently 10m platform is one of the smallest events in normal competitions, but in the Olympics it is one of the biggest. 32 divers, each with 6 different dives. I'd say it's just a case of them not being used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

We're at the top of the medal list in boxing :).

Not only will London miss the Olympics,I think we are going to miss them too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

love to be on for another 2 weeks.

Monday is going be let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Bakulin starting to make his move..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

9th overall so another good performance. He deserved final place on times, but was not meant to be.

Canoeing and Kayaking are sports we could and should look to invest in. Not like we are short on water.

New Zealand just won a gold in the sprint canoeing. Another lesson there for Ireland from NZ. There's no reason Ireland can't be competitive at canoeing and kayaking.

• Advertisement

Paralympics are on at the end of the month. If the channel4 trailers for it are anything to go by it could be quite exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Got home an hour ago.

Flew out at 6AM yesterday morning for the wrestling medal event last night. Disappointed I couldn't get into Olympic park as my event was at the ExCel but it's simply a fantastic spectacle. The Stratford shopping center and surrounding area, athletes walking around is just amazing. We met Ciarán Ó Lionaird. He was a bit of a tosser it has to be said.

10,000 People in the Excel arena for the medal event. Koreans, Russians, Georgians, US and Iranians all had massive support in different sections. I was rooting for Burroughs to win the 74KG Gold as a lot of MMA Fighters had been hyping him up on Twitter in the recent weeks. I was sat beside modern day Iron Shiek and his annoying family. So when Burroughs double legged Goudarzi the place erupted.

The Georgian's had a solid group of 40 who left after the 55KG match after the most exciting match of the day. It seemed like their athlete won with seconds remaining only for the judges to over rule it.

The buzz of the arena, the friendly nature of all volunteers, how easy the transport was. Walked out of standstead onto a bus walked off the bus into Westfield or straight onto a train to Excel.

I had to go because the Olympics probably won't be so close to me again in my lifetime. It was amazing and really really great job by the organizers. Hopefully everyone who went over had such a great day as I did.

Fair going TGB Boxer Anthony Joshua only took up the sport in 2007 and now he is facing into an Olympic final tomorrow.

Can't wait for John Joe tonight! It's gonna be a looooong day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That 50k walk looks like torture. Major respect to the competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hope Daley does well tonight. Seems an awful nice young lad

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    That 50k walk looks like torture. Major respect to the competitors.

Hope a load more of the leaders are disqualified and our Rob gets a medal :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

steve9859 wrote: »
    New Zealand just won a gold in the sprint canoeing. Another lesson there for Ireland from NZ. There's no reason Ireland can't be competitive at canoeing and kayaking.

Why would there be any particular lessons for Ireland? Maybe the reason we are not competitive is that our people are just not good enough.

Those Mexicans are actually nuts in the diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Why would there be any particular lessons for Ireland? Maybe the reason we are not competitive is that our people are just not good enough.

Or there's not an interest? Its easy to get carried away with the Olympics, but odds are 99% of people will have forgotten about the sports in a months time, so even if they do have an interest now, it will be forgotten soon.

When did GB take such an interest in track cycling? I'd imagine after a terrible 1990s they identified a niche in it and sought to exploit it. Fair play they clean up in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I missed the synco swimming yesterday, Anybody know where I can view the coverage?

ladypip wrote: »
    I missed the synco swimming yesterday, Anybody know where I can view the coverage?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Got home an hour ago.

Flew out at 6AM yesterday morning for the wrestling medal event last night. Disappointed I couldn't get into Olympic park as my event was at the ExCel but it's simply a fantastic spectacle. The Stratford shopping center and surrounding area, athletes walking around is just amazing. We met Ciarán Ó Lionaird. He was a bit of a tosser it has to be said.

10,000 People in the Excel arena for the medal event. Koreans, Russians, Georgians, US and Iranians all had massive support in different sections. I was rooting for Burroughs to win the 74KG Gold as a lot of MMA Fighters had been hyping him up on Twitter in the recent weeks. I was sat beside modern day Iron Shiek and his annoying family. So when Burroughs double legged Goudarzi the place erupted.

The Georgian's had a solid group of 40 who left after the 55KG match after the most exciting match of the day. It seemed like their athlete won with seconds remaining only for the judges to over rule it.

The buzz of the arena, the friendly nature of all volunteers, how easy the transport was. Walked out of standstead onto a bus walked off the bus into Westfield or straight onto a train to Excel.

I had to go because the Olympics probably won't be so close to me again in my lifetime. It was amazing and really really great job by the organizers. Hopefully everyone who went over had such a great day as I did.

That's great you got to be a part of it. We applied for tickets in the ballot but didn't get anything. I really regret not going over now even just to watch some of the free events on the street - cycling, marathon, triathalon, etc. just to soak up some atmosphere. My partner's mother lives in London, so it would've been no problem.

Watching at home, I've really fallen in love with the Olympics all over again. Haven't paid much attention to the past few and would only tune in really if an Irish competitor was on. The Euro's / World Cup were always the big thing with us, but I've come to realise now, the Olympics really is the greatest show on earth.

I'll probably never have the opportunity to go to another one, so gutted I didn't get over for these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

steve9859 wrote: »

Outdoor sports and adventure sports are part and parcel of NZ culture. We won't be able to match it. It's like saying there's no reason we can't be as good as NZ in rugby. It's a cultural block that will prevent us ever reaching that level. All of New Zealand's 5 golds have come on the water. Auckland has more boats than anywhere else in the world per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes.

Could you tell me please?

ladypip wrote: »
    Could you tell me please?
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv and choose the synchronised swimming in the sport events section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was over last weekend - had tickets for athletics (Monday morning session) and volleyball (Sunday afternoon), and went out to see the men's 20k walk and the women's marathon too. Had an absolutely amazing weekend, only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. The OH had tickets for 5 sessions of athletics and Katie Taylor's final... feckin git :p

Planning for a 2016 Rio trip may have started :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭dasdog

Father Horan #divineintervention

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Those Mexicans are actually nuts in the diving

They do seem to have a propensity for risky dives.

Daley safely in to the final.

Them walkers keep going past the Queen's gaffe, you'd think the very least she could do is pop down and give them some encouragement or give them some iced tea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement